Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SGN service ending [Effective October, 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 19, 2016, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: riphamilton
final flights: HKG 28OCT, SGN 29OCT (per @airlineroute)
Print Wikipost

SGN service ending [Effective October, 2016]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2016, 11:25 am

The BKK thread is closed, but related on Asia route network, Delta is eliminating its Bangkok service this fall (as well as its flagship JFK-NRT)

http://news.delta.com/executive-qa-d...neda-agreement
Old Aug 10, 2016, 5:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
The BKK thread is closed, but related on Asia route network, Delta is eliminating its Bangkok service this fall (as well as its flagship JFK-NRT)

http://news.delta.com/executive-qa-d...neda-agreement
For discussion of the other carriers operations to BKK, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ua-flyers.html.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Aug 12, 2016, 12:18 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by AndyInSaigon
Thanks for posting. I never thought to ask when I rebooked my Dec flight. I'll have at least one more pair of trips on this route. I wont' miss the flight times, but I'll miss the Guam crew. They're great.

I have a certificate from UA for being on the 1st SGN-HKG flight. 11 Dec 2004 IIRC. They put on a good show that day.

Yep, I was part of the UA project to enter Vietnam as an American carrier for the first time since the war. That success was years in the making. You will actually see that a lot of money went in to the city by United. Take a look at the plaque on the wall by the entrance of the "American War" Museum downtown and you will see what I mean.

Those 744s were great to see there, I even had one pilot who flew in and out of that base (SGN was a military base during the war) many years before, so it was surreal for him. Most of the ground crew worked through the night, with the flight arriving at 1130p and departing at 630am. The new terminal there at SGN was still being constructed but the Vietnamese were VERY proud to have a US carrier there. In fact, for the first flight arrival, most of the town showed up at the airport.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 6:44 am

Programs: Marriott: Platinum Hilton: Diamond AC: 25K
No No No My wife is from Vietnam and the United flight was always the cheapest option.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Nimitz
No No No My wife is from Vietnam and the United flight was always the cheapest option.
You'll still have that option; they will just put you on an ANA flight NRT-SGN instead of routing through HKG.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
You'll still have that option; they will just put you on an ANA flight NRT-SGN instead of routing through HKG.
and as of today that routing is about $100 less than my original booking. So its now getting tempting to rebook..
Old Aug 14, 2016, 12:05 am

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I agree!7 with that said, what carrier would you use SGN-SIN-SGN?

Thanks and Safe Travels..
Problem with routing through Singapore (SIN) is one must leave the night before to make the connection in SIN. Vietnam Airlines (VN) has good business class fares. Tried pricing it through UA and with an 016 fare they seem to force you into a higher fare bucket for business than one could get directly from Singapore Airlines (SQ).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.