Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28J,102E+,234E-)

Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United has a higher-density 777 primarily for domestic flights, with 3-4-3 across economy seating and a smaller business ("United First") class with lie-flat seating. There are three versions, which UA is labeling Version 2, Version 3, and Version 4. The differences from prior 777 planes are the economy lavatory areas and the surrounding seats (Rows 37, 39, 40, 41 and 52). This plane features 28-32 lie-flat United First seats, 102-124 Economy-plus seats, and 206-234 Economy seats. All United First seats have in-flight entertainment screens and at-seat power. The United First seats are the same lie-flat "coffins" that were used on international 777 flights prior to the introduction of the Polaris seats. All Economy seats have power outlets (2 outlets for 3-seat groups and 3 outlets for 4-seat groups), but do not have seat-back entertainment screens (just a device holder).

United 777 Version 2

United 777 Version 3

United 777 Version 4

Most Hawaii 777-200 flights will be either of these versions. Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a UA 772 Hawaii Configuration

For the most privacy, the only aisle seats in business that do not face the person opposite you are 4B and 4K

https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-777-gallery

Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28J,102E+,234E-)

Old Nov 1, 2023, 8:38 am

Programs: UA MM, UA 1K, DL Silver
Thanks, yes version 3 as shown above in the seat maps....yea, it's "back-there" and the lavs being busy....but flts so full anymore can't gtd that you'd have an empty seat between on 3-side

thanks for the input!
Old Nov 1, 2023, 4:13 pm

Programs: Mileageplus, AAdvantage, Chase UR, Global Entry
How annoying is 4 A/B with the galley right there? I think i'm on a version 3 but not sure.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Airportbeer
How annoying is 4 A/B with the galley right there? I think i'm on a version 3 but not sure.
The forward and aft galleys are where most of the noise/action is. The middle galley is mostly storage.
Airportbeer likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 1:06 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by Airportbeer
The most annoying thing for me with 4AB is the loss of much of the overhead space due to the oxygen tanks taking up much of the space.
Airportbeer likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Looking into this bird DEN to OGG vs 788 ORD to OGG as 2nd leg of upcoming trip. Redemption rate being the same, which is more desirable for a family of 4 in Y?
Old Dec 1, 2023, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Looking into this bird DEN to OGG vs 788 ORD to OGG as 2nd leg of upcoming trip. Redemption rate being the same, which is more desirable for a family of 4 in Y?
This could go either way depending on the available seating and your own preferences but I'd default to the 788. Every seat in Y has its own screen for IFE. The ride will be quieter and the cabin pressure will be better.

The primary argument for the 77M/G is that you can either get 4 across in the middle, which would fit your family, or you can get two sets of paired seats at the back of the plane. The seats on both the 77M/G and the 788 are quite tight and the paired seats at the back of the 77M/G really do feel more open.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 12:39 pm

I'm tentatively on 772 HD (version 3 according to the Wiki here where row 39 is the 2-2 config). ORD-DEN on 1/17/24. F cabin
Based upon what I read here there are NO good seats/options for this config.
Possibly "less worse" are 1A or 1B (opening at either T-48 or T-24 I've seen both times stated here)
OR
4B

Booked 4B currently (I prefer aisle mainly because I like to hydrate a lot which also causes trips to the rest room--haha) and there's no direct aisle access for window seats (and the 4 middle just looks unappealing, IMO).

Sound about right? Granted, it's not a terribly long flight and probably better than a 737-800? (not a big fan of the 737-800 but that's me).
Old Dec 4, 2023, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Anything in a 2-block is IMO just fine and far, far better than any domestic recliner. It's not the Polaris seat, but it's perfectly comfortable and just a bit cozy with your neighbor. Facing backward for novelty can be fun too.
hurnik and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 8:17 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by hurnik
I'm tentatively on 772 HD (version 3 according to the Wiki here where row 39 is the 2-2 config). ORD-DEN on 1/17/24. F cabin
Based upon what I read here there are NO good seats/options for this config.
Possibly "less worse" are 1A or 1B (opening at either T-48 or T-24 I've seen both times stated here)
OR
4B

Booked 4B currently (I prefer aisle mainly because I like to hydrate a lot which also causes trips to the rest room--haha) and there's no direct aisle access for window seats (and the 4 middle just looks unappealing, IMO).

Sound about right? Granted, it's not a terribly long flight and probably better than a 737-800? (not a big fan of the 737-800 but that's me).
4B is good (used it a lot), especially since they often use the door (2L) right near it, so you can disembark efficiently.
hurnik likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
Anything in a 2-block is IMO just fine and far, far better than any domestic recliner. It's not the Polaris seat, but it's perfectly comfortable and just a bit cozy with your neighbor. Facing backward for novelty can be fun too.
Not really a fan of the aisle seats where you look directly across at another pax face-to-face (especially row 3, where you look back into the Y cabin). 2B staring at galley and lav entry not great either.

The seat itself is comfortable as has been discussed many times. I flew 100s of thousands of miles in these seats on the 744s.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 10:08 am

Thoughts on the two-across Row 37 in E-?
Old Dec 10, 2023, 6:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thoughts on the two-across Row 37 in E-?
Until you sit down, you will not know if it is 2 or 3 seats, what you see at booking is no guarantee.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Until you sit down, you will not know if it is 2 or 3 seats, what you see at booking is no guarantee.
So that is a big gamble row?
Old Dec 10, 2023, 7:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
So that is a big gamble row?
View the seat maps in the wiki of on UA.com, rows 37, 39, 40 and 41 vary and you can get any specific aircraft in reality. The booking seatmap is no indication of the equipment to be used.
row 49, 50 and 51 are reliably 2 seaters.

There are 9 (77G) and 10 (77M) aircraft each of the first two and 4 (77O) of the 32F version
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 10, 2023 at 7:32 pm
Old Dec 11, 2023, 1:40 am

Should also note that 77O map isn't on UA website anymore, I think it accidentally got removed when the format of that page was updated.
alwaysflyingLA likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.