Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28J,102E+,234E-)

Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United has a higher-density 777 primarily for domestic flights, with 3-4-3 across economy seating and a smaller business ("United First") class with lie-flat seating. There are three versions, which UA is labeling Version 2, Version 3, and Version 4. The differences from prior 777 planes are the economy lavatory areas and the surrounding seats (Rows 37, 39, 40, 41 and 52). This plane features 28-32 lie-flat United First seats, 102-124 Economy-plus seats, and 206-234 Economy seats. All United First seats have in-flight entertainment screens and at-seat power. The United First seats are the same lie-flat "coffins" that were used on international 777 flights prior to the introduction of the Polaris seats. All Economy seats have power outlets (2 outlets for 3-seat groups and 3 outlets for 4-seat groups), but do not have seat-back entertainment screens (just a device holder).

United 777 Version 2

United 777 Version 3

United 777 Version 4

Most Hawaii 777-200 flights will be either of these versions. Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a UA 772 Hawaii Configuration

For the most privacy, the only aisle seats in business that do not face the person opposite you are 4B and 4K

https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-777-gallery

Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28J,102E+,234E-)

Old Nov 16, 2016, 2:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cawhite
.... Same situation re upgrades - in total, only 5 or 6 seats up front (including one at the gate) were upgrades. As a 1K on a V fare and waitlisted (with a cert), I didn't clear.
That's 20+% upgrades and throw in mileage awards which are very common for Hawaii flights
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Gold, Hertz President's Circle. Crappy Status on AA & Delta.
poor design

My little review of this configuration.

I flew it from EWR to DEN on 1/9/2017 (the aircraft was changed about 4 days prior to the flight from the v4 "Hawaii").

I sat in seat 1D.

PROS:
  • for a domestic flight, this was good, and perhaps overall better than other UA aircraft in business/first.
  • they give you two blankets (one regular, another more like a comforter) and two pillows (a small one and one often seen on international long-hauls). It is, though, a bit overkill for a domestic flight because of the lack of space to store anything
  • entertainment screen is large, power and headphone jacks easy to access from the front

So overall, for a domestic flight, this is fine

CONS (and these come mostlly from a perspective of considering this configuration for a long-haul international flight):
  • there is NO underseat storage on ANY business/first seats -- all personal and carryons must go in the overhead compartments (this is announced by the crew when boarding -- and it is because the space under the foot rest is very tiny). This caused a lot of issues on this flight, where some passengers (who appeared to have "reasonable" carryon) to check it if they boarded later. And...there is NO STORAGE for anything. No pocket, nothing. Everything you have you will either have to put in your lap, or put on the shared console table.
  • in my seat, 1D (and I would presume the same for 1G), you are slightly protruded in the aisle, so throughout the flight your outside arm is bumped by crew and passengers in the aisle. For a domestic flight this is livable, but for a longhaul, this would be totally annoying.
  • the seats are narrow. The armrests are shared. This would be uncomfortable on a longhaul flight.
  • the shared console (with drink table) with your neighbor is about 8-10 inches above your tray... so if you have a laptop, and your neighbor puts his/her sloppy drink on this console, if things get rough, your laptop will be filled with fluid. While yes, this shared console is normal, the fact that is so high above the tray table, makes the risk of drinks being spilled on your "stuff" more likely. You also can't cross your legs, because the console is so high.... your feet are either hitting the console on one side, or in the narrow aisle obstructing traffic.
  • there is no privacy -- for a long haul flight, you are staring at reverse facing passengers, and very close quarters with neighbors.
  • if you sit in the center four seats of the 2-4-2 configuration, the measurements are off. That is, your foot well is mis-aligned by about 4-6 inches, so on a long haul if you recline fully to a bed, your will have to lay at an angle in the very narrow seat. It would be quite uncomfortable for 10 hours.
  • on this flight, the aircraft was blistering cold. I am usually hot, so for it to be cold for me is saying something. It was meat-locker COLD. YMMV.

This is not a well thought-out configuration. For a domestic flight, I will gladly do it. But for a long-haul international flight I will be avoiding this totally. They are cramming you in like sardines with this 2-4-2 configuration, and there would be lots of interruptions in trying to rest. It is a good marketing element for inexperienced travelers -- because it promises the luxury of a lay flat seat -- but it's much like making economy lay flat. Sorry, United, but this is an epic fail.

Last edited by swco; Jan 11, 2017 at 5:49 pm
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by swco

I flew it from EWR to DEN on 1/9/2017 (the aircraft was changed about 4 days prior to the flight from the v4 "Hawaii"). ...
This is the new Hawaii config and is not intent for long haul international service use.
... But for a long-haul international flight I will be avoiding this totally. They are cramming you in like sardines with this 2-4-2 configuration, and there would be lots of interruptions in trying to rest.
These are the present seats for the 747 and 3-class 772 however for many of your concerns, they are being "replaced" by the new "Polaris" seats for longhaul international flights (and that's why they are showing up for the Hawaii aircraft - recycling).
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:35 am

Version 6?

It looks like United has now introduced a Version 6 of the high-density 777-200:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...efault.aspx#v6

I am on this configuration for a flight from EWR to SJU on Saturday. Any experiences with this new version? I am really tall (6'7") and traveling with my wife, so I chose 39KL.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
wait... I thought V4 was the new Hawaii config.... so now we have V5 and V6 for hawaii as well?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by avi8tir
wait... I thought V4 was the new Hawaii config.... so now we have V5 and V6 for hawaii as well?
v4 (77H) is the old Hawaii configuration. All 77H and also 77D are being changed to v5/v6 (77G) and will serve domestically and to/from Hawaii.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by gorss
It looks like United has now introduced a Version 6 of the high-density 777-200:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...efault.aspx#v6

I am on this configuration for a flight from EWR to SJU on Saturday. Any experiences with this new version? I am really tall (6'7") and traveling with my wife, so I chose 39KL.
I haven't, but it looks comparable to the same row 39 seat I had this week EWR-DEN, which was great (except for occasional congregating at the lavs, but your flight isn't that long so may not be a problem.) On ver 6 for a single traveler, 41 C or J look like great seats for legroom.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
So, are ALL Hawaii 777 routes served by V5 and V6 now?

If not, which are or aren't? I'd hate to book it and then end up on a V4 thinking Im getting a lie-flat back to Houston!
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

If not, which are or aren't? I'd hate to book it and then end up on a V4 thinking Im getting a lie-flat back to Houston!
The fleet is in the process of transitioning. Right now they are treating the 77H/77G fleet as a single unit, and so early calendar will show the 77H seat map always, with a chance of 77G swap at departure roughly equal to the ratio of 77Gs in the fleet (currently 8/15). Later calendar dates are loaded with the 77G seatmap when they expect the conversion to be complete, which is roughly June 2017.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:52 pm

So, are ALL Hawaii 777 routes served by V5 and V6 now? ...
No

V4 is the most common version flying to day. Seems by mid,late-summer the lie-flat will be the most common. And some presently showing V4 be switched. I have a summer SFO-HNL, originally booked in V4 both ways, one leg now has V4 and one V5. I hope the remaining will be switched V4 soon but it may not.

Watch the seatmaps is the best advice for now.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 12, 2017 at 2:01 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL

Here's a side-by-side comparison of the transition:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27737298-post1039.html
Old Jan 12, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Gold, Hertz President's Circle. Crappy Status on AA & Delta.
hmm. I am totally confused (and sorry if I brought confusion to this thread). I am just staying away from any 777-200 that is a longhaul and has the 2-4-2 configuration based on my DEN-EWR on v5 earlier this week.

I booked two longhauls today (DEN-ATH and DEN-JNB)... there were United options on both trips with segments that had 777-200 2-4-2 configurations (with connections through ORD to FRA or MUC). I opted for the Lufthansa flights. After booking, I got the Lufthansa booking codes, called Lufthansa, and got my preferred seat assignments (and then also didn't have to go through ORD... only one stop via FRA or MUC).

PS - The Lufthansa reservation line had no hesitance in re-assigning my seats (even though I couldn't' do it online on Lufhtansa.com, and online it said I had to wait until check-in).

Last edited by swco; Jan 12, 2017 at 4:22 pm
Old Jan 12, 2017, 4:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I am just staying away from any 777-200 that is a longhaul and has the 2-4-2 configuration based on my DEN-EWR on v5 earlier this week.
That's a sensible strategy. I avoid them, too. Love the seat cushion, hate everything else.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum

there is no privacy -- for a long haul flight, you are staring at reverse facing passengers, and very close quarters with neighbors.
I am on this aircraft right now. I am in 3G, a center aisle seat facing forward and I and looking straight at the guy sitting in 3K.

Some observations about where to sit up front since this thread topic is to address where the best seats are:
  • [*]

Last edited by bloodyeyeballs; Jan 12, 2017 at 7:14 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by bloodyeyeballs
Another plus for row 4 is that for airports that only use one exit, such as LAX and GUM, row 4 will allow you to get off the plane quickest. However, row 4 is just in front of the middle galley and the coach front bathroom is right behind that row.[/LIST]
I'm not an expert on this, but when getting off DEN-EWR (with two exits)... we were instructed that all seats on the left of the plane were to exit the middle door (using the left aisle), and all seats on right of the plane were to exit the front door (using the right aisle). I evaded this command, since my seat was 1D, and escaped the line. While I get the organization attempt, business/first passengers should be allowed to exit first (regardless off how many doors). This nonsense escapes me. Let business/first exit ...and then the rest.

United seems to be increasingly confused about treating business/first passengers with priority.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.