Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28J,102E+,234E-)

Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United has a higher-density 777 primarily for domestic flights, with 3-4-3 across economy seating and a smaller business ("United First") class with lie-flat seating. There are three versions, which UA is labeling Version 2, Version 3, and Version 4. The differences from prior 777 planes are the economy lavatory areas and the surrounding seats (Rows 37, 39, 40, 41 and 52). This plane features 28-32 lie-flat United First seats, 102-124 Economy-plus seats, and 206-234 Economy seats. All United First seats have in-flight entertainment screens and at-seat power. The United First seats are the same lie-flat "coffins" that were used on international 777 flights prior to the introduction of the Polaris seats. All Economy seats have power outlets (2 outlets for 3-seat groups and 3 outlets for 4-seat groups), but do not have seat-back entertainment screens (just a device holder).

United 777 Version 2

United 777 Version 3

United 777 Version 4

Most Hawaii 777-200 flights will be either of these versions. Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a UA 772 Hawaii Configuration

For the most privacy, the only aisle seats in business that do not face the person opposite you are 4B and 4K

https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-777-gallery

Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28J,102E+,234E-)

Old Aug 7, 2016, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I am hopeful that the delay between the successive mods will bring about a solution to the call button issue.

Originally Posted by BF263533
It will be interesting to see how evacuation fares in an actual crash.
The EK crash showed us that the 10-abreast Y cabin did not hamper a rapid evacuation. That accident ticked off a few boxes: unanticipated emergency, relatively full load, smoke/fire, several exits unusable, etc. Fortunately for those aboard, the configuration did not impact survivability.

Has any airline used 9 across for economy +, and 10 across for regular coach?
AA has on the 77W and a handful of retrofit 772s, but apparently they are going with 10-abreast MCE on the more recent mods.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
I am doing a MR in Dec SFO-ORD-SJU, the SFO-ORD (and back SJU-ORD-SFO) is the 777, is it this configuration I should expect for the SFO-ORD (and back)?
Old Oct 21, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by popoemt
I am doing a MR in Dec SFO-ORD-SJU, the SFO-ORD (and back SJU-ORD-SFO) is the 777, is it this configuration I should expect for the SFO-ORD (and back)?
No - low odds. This is the newer 777 configuration, and only a few planes are currently configured this way. You are more likely to get Version 4 - the Hawaii configuration. But you won't know for sure until later.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy
No - low odds. This is the newer 777 configuration, and only a few planes are currently configured this way. You are more likely to get Version 4 - the Hawaii configuration. But you won't know for sure until later.
Cool, I'll expect the worst! Haha!
Old Nov 13, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
And as always, can change very close to flight date. My reservation for 16H (2-5-2) went 'poof' the other day - ended up in 40D (aisle/bulkhead).

Didn't notice the call button issue (ORD/SFO), maybe it's been remedied somehow (but only a single data point).

Also, noticed that, similar to the bulkhead center seats on the 787s, there's a movable armrest between 40E/F. The bulkhead seats have the call button and light switch mounted in the fixed partition, and the power is below you.

One other comment -- it was stated earlier in the thread that the blue light indicating power usage was new -- not so, it's been on the 737s for as long as I can remember.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 3:28 pm

An interesting data point, the ORD-SFO just flipped to 777 3-class, I grabbed 6A just in case it flips back (and we lose a couple of rows...). I am also hoping for a CPU to GF (even just for the sake of trying the seat before it disappears, since it won't be a truly GF flight).
Old Nov 13, 2016, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by popoemt
An interesting data point, the ORD-SFO just flipped to 777 3-class, I grabbed 6A just in case it flips back (and we lose a couple of rows...). I am also hoping for a CPU to GF (even just for the sake of trying the seat before it disappears, since it won't be a truly GF flight).
The 777 routes appear to be prone to aircraft configuration swaps at the moment, due to the diversity in the domestic fleet. I was scheduled on a 3-class 777 SFO-ORD for a flight late Nov and that got swapped for a Hawaii-type. (Which I changed out of for a lay-flat 757)

All it takes is one other 777 to go MX and you'll could be swapped again.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 8:22 pm

Would anyone know the mapping of the seats if the reservation was originally on the V4 777, now to this version? For example, if you selected seat 16J on the V4 777, does that transition to seat 16L on the V5 777?
Old Nov 15, 2016, 8:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by trust77
Would anyone know the mapping of the seats if the reservation was originally on the V4 777, now to this version? For example, if you selected seat 16J on the V4 777, does that transition to seat 16L on the V5 777?
Unfortunately, it transitions to whatever seat UA puts you in. There is no automatic mapping. Sometimes they will respect your initial selection, others it will a random reassignment. Good idea to watch these reservations pretty closely so you can get on it quickly if they swap and give you a crappy seat.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
LOL no, UA will scramble the seats and you'll end up anywhere.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 9:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mduell
LOL no, UA will scramble the seats and you'll end up anywhere.
I was going to say they use a monkey with a dartboard, but some might have deemed that "snarky"
Old Nov 15, 2016, 11:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Had a recent V4 to V5 change for a flight next summer. Two separate PNRs -- 1A & 1B converted to 1A & 1B . Seemed to work well (and as expected).

Side note the V5 seatmap in the wiki and in UA's 772 equipment page has the first class left side seats as B,C but the reservation seatmap is A & B. Set lettering of the rest of the plane is the same.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 15, 2016 at 11:19 pm
Old Nov 16, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Kacee
Unfortunately, it transitions to whatever seat UA puts you in. There is no automatic mapping. Sometimes they will respect your initial selection, others it will a random reassignment. Good idea to watch these reservations pretty closely so you can get on it quickly if they swap and give you a crappy seat.
Not specific experience on these planes, but in the past I've found that if the same number seat exists on the "new" plane (one swapped in) you often end up in it, but if it doesn't then you're stuck in something random.

Of course, on this plane that's feast or famine - Row 16 (bulkhead) turns into some middle seat. (and that's what happened to me before the rows were consistently numbered - I went from 6C (bulkhead, I think that's number) to 28E or something when the newer airbus started in row 7.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
All my seat changes on between the 2 aircraft has always turned out to be the same seat. Choose wisely when you do, make sure both aircraft have the seat and the desired window/aisle location. I'm 5 for 5 on that so far.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by Kacee
I was going to say they use a monkey with a dartboard, but some might have deemed that "snarky"
Or possibly "optimistic."

Originally Posted by fly2lanai
I was on the re-configured plane on July 1 from LAX-HNL. CPU did not cleared and was #3 on the list. They cleared #1 who happened to a GS. (Overheard him telling the agent in the plane when he was battleground upgraded)

The plan was swapped to this newer version 2 days prior and I kept my bulk head and was assigned 17L.

1. Plenty of legroom but you can feel the seat is much narrower even thought it may be only about 1"+ off.
2. With added seating, boarding takes a bit longer (full flight) and with people storing carry-ons.
3. In-seat plug was useful
4. In-flight wifi and streaming works and I think they may be running a different version of PDE/Wifi
5. You have the option to pay for Wi-Fi using miles for different hours interval. I paid about 1880 miles for the entire flight just to test out the wifi and to get some work done.
6. The light and attendant call button was on the interior side of the arm rest. Because of that and the narrower seat, the attendant call chime was going off constantly even before the flight took off. The purser had to make an announcement to advise the passengers to be careful. Throughout the flight, you can still hear random attendant calls going off which is pretty annoying.
I flew on the "new" Hawaii configuration last week, HNL-ORD. The lights and call buttons were definitely an issue through the entire flight although admittedly the first three hours (or so) were worse than the remainder of the flight.

Same situation re upgrades - in total, only 5 or 6 seats up front (including one at the gate) were upgrades. As a 1K on a V fare and waitlisted (with a cert), I didn't clear.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 16, 2016 at 2:08 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.