Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28J,102E+,234E-)

Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United has a higher-density 777 primarily for domestic flights, with 3-4-3 across economy seating and a smaller business ("United First") class with lie-flat seating. There are three versions, which UA is labeling Version 2, Version 3, and Version 4. The differences from prior 777 planes are the economy lavatory areas and the surrounding seats (Rows 37, 39, 40, 41 and 52). This plane features 28-32 lie-flat United First seats, 102-124 Economy-plus seats, and 206-234 Economy seats. All United First seats have in-flight entertainment screens and at-seat power. The United First seats are the same lie-flat "coffins" that were used on international 777 flights prior to the introduction of the Polaris seats. All Economy seats have power outlets (2 outlets for 3-seat groups and 3 outlets for 4-seat groups), but do not have seat-back entertainment screens (just a device holder).

United 777 Version 2

United 777 Version 3

United 777 Version 4

Most Hawaii 777-200 flights will be either of these versions. Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a UA 772 Hawaii Configuration

For the most privacy, the only aisle seats in business that do not face the person opposite you are 4B and 4K

https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-777-gallery

Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28J,102E+,234E-)

Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by COEWR2587

inthink row 48. The second part of this video shows the extra legroom of row 48

https://youtu.be/OQViCpRo0MI
Thanks for this! We chose 48AB ages ago for an upcoming flight, this definitely confirms they're a good pick on this 772HD.

Last edited by airb330; Jun 7, 2018 at 8:39 am Reason: 48AB not 48AC
Old Jun 10, 2018, 1:39 pm
RNE

Endured 8˝ hours in 27B 41B. OMG!

Last edited by RNE; Jun 10, 2018 at 3:51 pm Reason: Corrected seat number.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RNE
Endured 8˝ hours in 27B. OMG!
It's not good to choose an Economy seat in the row just behind Economy + as the Economy + seats tend to recline a little bit more in your face and you don't get the same recline. And a middle seat.........
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:50 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
It's not good to choose an Economy seat in the row just behind Economy + as the Economy + seats tend to recline a little bit more in your face and you don't get the same recline. And a middle seat.........
Oops. Wrong seat. I meant I was in 41B.* I liked that row because our family member in 41C had infinite legroom.

*I corrected my original post.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Oops. Wrong seat. I meant I was in 41B.* I liked that row because our family member in 41C had infinite legroom.

*I corrected my original post.
Your family member was a lucky passenger. Indeed, that seat 41C is very good. Was your family member nice and let you sit in his seat for a short while?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:29 am
RNE

Your family member was a lucky passenger. Indeed, that seat 41C is very good. Was your family member nice and let you sit in his seat for a short while?
Our long-legged family member was not so lucky it turns out. At boarding, United randomly moved him from 41C to 37C. (Thus, we lost a seat booked 11 months in advance. Yes, I know seats are never guaranteed. Still...) Another passenger sat in 41C. She, short legged, had been randomly moved up to 41 from a row farther back, she claimed.

On a side note: Upon landing in HNL, police came aboard and detained a passenger seated two rows in front of us. We (and others) were delayed in disembarking while the police asked us questions about the detainee's behavior on board. From the questions, it seemed the passenger's frequent use of the lav made the FA's suspicious. Illegal drug use?

RNE, opining that it was all around an unpleasant flight, but being in Hawaii quickly relieves unpleasantness.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by RNE
Our long-legged family member was not so lucky it turns out. At boarding, United randomly moved him from 41C to 37C. (Thus, we lost a seat booked 11 months in advance. Yes, I know seats are never guaranteed. Still...) Another passenger sat in 41C. She, short legged, had been randomly moved up to 41 from a row farther back, she claimed.

RNE, opining that it was all around an unpleasant flight.
you book a crappy airline, you get a crappy experience. That the 77HD is the worst of the worst should be well known to anyone on this board. I keep getting offered fares that are $100+ cheaper, at times $200+ cheaper if I would just fly this bird to HNL, no way, no go, I just fly another airline or aircraft.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by RNE

On a side note: Upon landing in HNL, police came aboard and detained a passenger seated two rows in front of us. We (and others) were delayed in disembarking while the police asked us questions about the detainee's behavior on board. From the questions, it seemed the passenger's frequent use of the lav made the FA's suspicious. Illegal drug use?

RNE, opining that it was all around an unpleasant flight, but being in Hawaii quickly relieves unpleasantness.
The joys of going on a vacation!

That's quite weird since seat 41C is listed as an Economy + seat and row 37 is not. Did your relative have UA status or paid extra for that Economy + seat?

I hate having to babysit my seat from the moment I book my flight to the moment I'm sitting in it. My long-hauls are mostly on the 3-class 772 and I do have my preferred seat.

Hopefully, that passenger was not detained just for having drunk too much water........
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:03 pm
RNE

Did your relative have UA status or paid extra for that Economy + seat?
Neither. Hardly flies at all. He's our 18-year-old nephew. We took him to Hawaii as a high school graduation gift.

I hate having to babysit my seat from the moment I book my flight to the moment I'm sitting in it.
Me too. But, like you, I do. The seat was unchanged 30 minutes before boarding. When he scanned his boarding pass, I heard the seat-change "beep." Pavlovianly, I thought it heralded an upgrade to BF! Foolish me.

RNE, specious of shenanigans when a desirable seat is swapped at the last minute.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:18 pm

Economy seats more narrow than 773 or same?

Now that they are flying these to Europe (!!), I need to choose between a nonstop on a 777-200 HD and adding a connection + 4 hours just to avoid it. How wide are the economy seats vs. 773? I previously flew on a 773 between EWR and TLV and my seat (39A, exit row window) was Ok - a bit narrow, but not awful. Are economy seats on 772-200 HD even narrower or same as 773?
Old Jun 17, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: All the programs!
In the J cabin. Is there a privacy divider between the 2 middle seats of the 4 seat middle section?
Old Jun 17, 2018, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by oopl
In the J cabin. Is there a privacy divider between the 2 middle seats of the 4 seat middle section?
No. Almost the opposite in fact - there are two extremely narrow armrests which (if I remember) can be lowered. It's convenient if you want to cuddle with your seatmate, and otherwise rather irritating.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by findark
No. Almost the opposite in fact - there are two extremely narrow armrests which (if I remember) can be lowered. It's convenient if you want to cuddle with your seatmate, and otherwise rather irritating.
Thanks, I was debating where to take the middle 2 (E&F) or F&G.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 5:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by oopl
Thanks, I was debating where to take the middle 2 (E&F) or F&G.
No contest F&G -- get at least one aisle seat.
oopl likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by findark
One time, when I was in an aisle seat on a BA flight with the same 2-4-2 configuration in Business, I could see two passengers in those middle seats making out. I wonder if that's the reason the two passengers next to me on the flight PVG-ORD next month have decided not to move out of the middle seats even though the plane was empty when they got their seats and there were aisle seats in every row (and there are still many aisle seats available now).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.