Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28J,102E+,234E-)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United has a higher-density 777 primarily for domestic flights, with 3-4-3 across economy seating and a smaller business ("United First") class with lie-flat seating. There are three versions, which UA is labeling Version 2, Version 3, and Version 4. The differences from prior 777 planes are the economy lavatory areas and the surrounding seats (Rows 37, 39, 40, 41 and 52). This plane features 28-32 lie-flat United First seats, 102-124 Economy-plus seats, and 206-234 Economy seats. All United First seats have in-flight entertainment screens and at-seat power. The United First seats are the same lie-flat "coffins" that were used on international 777 flights prior to the introduction of the Polaris seats. All Economy seats have power outlets (2 outlets for 3-seat groups and 3 outlets for 4-seat groups), but do not have seat-back entertainment screens (just a device holder).

United 777 Version 2

United 777 Version 3

United 777 Version 4

Most Hawaii 777-200 flights will be either of these versions. Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a UA 772 Hawaii Configuration

For the most privacy, the only aisle seats in business that do not face the person opposite you are 4B and 4K

https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-777-gallery

Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28J,102E+,234E-)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2017, 6:08 am

Booked E+ seat on an E- ticket (77HD) with seats still open?

I just booked a flight HNL-SFO in E. I was going to upgrade to E+ but noticed seat 41C to be open. Looking at UA's official seat map, it's color coded as E+ but for some reason, I was able to book it. I am *G via Asiana.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...0/default.aspx

1. Is this seat E+ or E- and I am at risk of getting bumped out of it when I check in?
2. My itinerary is showing my first checked bag is free. Is this because of *G? Or as *G am I entitled to two checked bags?
3. Are E+ upgrades usually cheaper booking in advance or at check in? If I am at risk of getting bumped out of the seat or an aircraft swap happening, I'd like to lock in E+.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 6:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
Originally Posted by vprp
2. My itinerary is showing my first checked bag is free. Is this because of *G? Or as *G am I entitled to two checked bags?
Domestic economy class tickets don't have any free checked bags. You *G status will give you one free checked bag.
3. Are E+ upgrades usually cheaper booking in advance or at check in? If I am at risk of getting bumped out of the seat or an aircraft swap happening, I'd like to lock in E+.
Sometimes the upgrade prices go up after booking, sometimes they go down. Depends on the demand. IME, prices go up closer to the travel date (and on the travel date), but there could be cases where they would discount the fees if there a lot of open E+ seats.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I just booked a flight HNL-SFO in E. I was going to upgrade to E+ but noticed seat 41C to be open. Looking at UA's official seat map, it's color coded as E+ but for some reason, I was able to book it. I am *G via Asiana.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...0/default.aspx

1. Is this seat E+ or E- and I am at risk of getting bumped out of it when I check in? ...
It may or may not be an E+ seat. There are two versions of that aircraft and it will not be known until a few days before which will be used. In one row 40 has 3 seats and one row 40 has just two seats. In the two-seat version, 41C has extra leg space -- hence the E+ designation. If it remains the 2-seat row 40 version (9 aircraft), you will not lose the seat but you will not be given a different E+ seat if it changes to the 3-seat row 40 version (10 aircraft). your odds are basically 50/50.

E+ pricing can change but it can go in either direction -- however the change is not huge in generaral, Economy Plus price - Is it Fixed or is the Pricing Dynamic?
and
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...solidated.html

On the bag query, just the first bag for ^G -- this is the *A rule and UA adopted a number of years ago, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...rnational.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 26, 2017 at 12:42 pm Reason: more links
Old Dec 27, 2017, 4:55 am

Thanks. I checked all of the HNL-SFO flight seat maps and it seems every row 40 only had 2 seats. It looks like they show this seat map since they don't know exactly which plane will be on the route? Looks like I better not chance it and lock in E+ in advance.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. I checked all of the HNL-SFO flight seat maps and it seems every row 40 only had 2 seats. It looks like they show this seat map since they don't know exactly which plane will be on the route?
Exactly. It’s far better to have one more seat on the plane than on the seat map as opposed to vice versa.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
Exactly. It’s far better to have one more seat on the plane than on the seat map as opposed to vice versa.
In this case it is the same number of seats, but which seats in the back are E+ are scrambled.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 27, 2017 at 3:21 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It may or may not be an E+ seat. There are two versions of that aircraft and it will not be known until a few days before which will be used.
If it's less than 24 hours to departure, is the E+ designation on the seat map very likely to be accurate?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by davie355
If it's less than 24 hours to departure, is the E+ designation on the seat map very likely to be accurate?
Yes, but last minute equipment changes can happen -- however that is more likely for domestic flights than international. Check the where is this fly coming from in Flight Status, if its configuration agrees that s even better.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Aloha,

We're on a 777 LAX-HNL on Monday. UA seatmap shows version 4. Waitlisted for upgrade but if it doesn't clear, working on Plan B.
Currently showing a few middle rows of 4 seats wide open. Can anyone confirm that the armrests go up, so if one can get an empty middle row, can one put up the armrests and create a makeshift bed to sleep?

Mahalo!

-PL
Old Jan 20, 2018, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Phil Level
.... We're on a 777 LAX-HNL on Monday. UA seatmap shows version 4. Waitlisted for upgrade but if it doesn't clear, working on Plan B.
Currently showing a few middle rows of 4 seats wide open. Can anyone confirm that the armrests go up, so if one can get an empty middle row, can one put up the armrests and create a makeshift bed to sleep?...
As long as non-bulkhead and non-exit row, generally the armrests will pop-up. However, be careful relying on there being empty rows. Good chance those could end up being used for BE customers or NRSAs or tour groups or ....who don't get seat assignments until the day of travel / at the gate in some cases. You might get lucky but best not to count on it.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
First time on this aircraft LAX-HNL in 1K. Terrible seat, it's halfway in the aisle due to curvature of fuselage towards the nose and you're practically in the galley. Also reminded how much I dislike the 2-4-2 cabin. I'd guess row 2 sides are best, or better yet a different aircraft/airline.
This is the truth.I gave this aircraft another go last week SFO-HNL-SFO after swearing it off in the fall. 2-4-2 is simply too cramped for comfort and there is no in pod storage for anything. Too narrow to comfortably fit your shoulders between the armrests when flat and shorter than me length in flat mode. Main cabin at 10 across must be retched.

Alternative......757s with lie flats now regularly on LIH-SFO. For a day flight the 737 might be more comfortable
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cmculp
Alternative......757s with lie flats now regularly on LIH-SFO.
Faring has been pretty high on that route. Cheaper if you route from LAX.

Last HNL trip, DL got my $1700 routing SFO-LAX-HNL-SLC-OAK. The DL 330 HNL-SLC is an outstanding hard product. Their 767 is meh, but better than UA's 772 HD.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 5:36 pm

Due to equipment/schedule changes, I am now on a 777v3 config. Does anyone have photos of rows 16/17? I would have thought that these were bulkheads, but they're actually exit row seats?

I have the option of 17ABC/D/JKL or 16 FG. Any suggestions for that? I'm leaning towards 17D just for aisle access and underseat storage. The storage isn't too important if I was in the bulkhead and could get up quickly once the plane arrives at the gate.

Last edited by eeflyer; Feb 4, 2018 at 5:42 pm
Old Feb 5, 2018, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by eeflyer
Due to equipment/schedule changes, I am now on a 777v3 config. Does anyone have photos of rows 16/17? I would have thought that these were bulkheads, but they're actually exit row seats?

I have the option of 17ABC/D/JKL or 16 FG. Any suggestions for that? I'm leaning towards 17D just for aisle access and underseat storage. The storage isn't too important if I was in the bulkhead and could get up quickly once the plane arrives at the gate.
Here's a composite stitched photo from 17C taken back in June 2017:

Usually, by the time I'd be booking, 17C/17J are gone. I've been mostly inhabiting 39C/39J on (now) V3 and 39B/39K on (now) V4 if you want some shots in the 39 rows and their pros/cons.

David
Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by DELee
Here's a composite stitched photo from 17C taken back in June 2017:

Usually, by the time I'd be booking, 17C/17J are gone. I've been mostly inhabiting 39C/39J on (now) V3 and 39B/39K on (now) V4 if you want some shots in the 39 rows and their pros/cons.

David
Thanks for the picture and advice! I moved over to 17C.

Edit: I have a short connection, so staying towards the front is preferred over the 39 rows for this flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.