Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28J,102E+,234E-)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United has a higher-density 777 primarily for domestic flights, with 3-4-3 across economy seating and a smaller business ("United First") class with lie-flat seating. There are three versions, which UA is labeling Version 2, Version 3, and Version 4. The differences from prior 777 planes are the economy lavatory areas and the surrounding seats (Rows 37, 39, 40, 41 and 52). This plane features 28-32 lie-flat United First seats, 102-124 Economy-plus seats, and 206-234 Economy seats. All United First seats have in-flight entertainment screens and at-seat power. The United First seats are the same lie-flat "coffins" that were used on international 777 flights prior to the introduction of the Polaris seats. All Economy seats have power outlets (2 outlets for 3-seat groups and 3 outlets for 4-seat groups), but do not have seat-back entertainment screens (just a device holder).

United 777 Version 2

United 777 Version 3

United 777 Version 4

Most Hawaii 777-200 flights will be either of these versions. Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a UA 772 Hawaii Configuration

For the most privacy, the only aisle seats in business that do not face the person opposite you are 4B and 4K

https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-777-gallery

Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28J,102E+,234E-)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA has never used the 77G on SFO-LHR.
Probably lamenting the 3-class 772 w 8-across business, which has been the norm for the morning LHR-SFO flight I’ve been resigned to for past couple of years.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by username
Maybe your posts were moved here from somewhere else, but this thread is about the HD configuration 772 with 28J (77G).
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Just found out I have to go home (Honolulu) for a wedding on Thanksgiving weekend. Don't really care about the flight out but want to get some sort of sleep on the flight back. Unfortunately, First looks fully booked (although I was offered a buy-up for $750 for DEN-HNL and $2200 for HNL-IAH) so I opted for 17A on HNL-IAH (777-200HD). I'll keep monitoring the flight in case there's a chance to apply my first RPU but am presuming I'll be trying to sleep in E+. How is 17A? I'm wondering about how far into my leg space that door protrudes -- the pictures I've seen make it look bigger than I remember.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton
Does anyone know United’s reasoning in having 2 versions with bathrooms in different places wheh They both seat the same numbers.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by COEWR2587
Does anyone know United’s reasoning in having 2 versions with bathrooms in different places wheh They both seat the same numbers.
Don't know for sure but having the bathrooms split 2 and 2 between midsection and back provides potty parity for the folks in the way back. It sucks enough to be at the tail but when you have to decide between the line in back or walking up half the plane to get in line ...
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:10 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by COEWR2587
The 77G fleet was created by converting aircraft from two different subfleets - the two class sUA Hawaii 772s, and the non-ER IPTE aircraft, which had the standard sUA three class configuration (and were primarily used for east coast TATLs). The two types had completely different interiors, including different economy cabin lav configurations, which were retained when they were all converted to the current 77G (HD) configuration.
findark likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Just found out I have to go home (Honolulu) for a wedding on Thanksgiving weekend. Don't really care about the flight out but want to get some sort of sleep on the flight back. Unfortunately, First looks fully booked (although I was offered a buy-up for $750 for DEN-HNL and $2200 for HNL-IAH) so I opted for 17A on HNL-IAH (777-200HD). I'll keep monitoring the flight in case there's a chance to apply my first RPU but am presuming I'll be trying to sleep in E+. How is 17A? I'm wondering about how far into my leg space that door protrudes -- the pictures I've seen make it look bigger than I remember.
It protrudes significantly and you'll be jockeying for foot space with your middle seat mate (who won't be happy to begin with to be in middle). Is there no other window E+ seat available? I fly from Hawaii to Houston a half-dozen times a year and will never ride that plane in coach again for that distance on a redeye. Never ever. And that's not even being stuck in a seat a miserable as that one is. You also get to hear the toilet flush all night and be annoyed with people standing in area waiting to use the lav. I'll take a West Coast change of planes any day over that tube of coach misery HNL-IAH. I can barely stand coach from Hawaii to West Coast in that plane on a non-redeye..
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
It protrudes significantly and you'll be jockeying for foot space with your middle seat mate (who won't be happy to begin with to be in middle). Is there no other window E+ seat available? I fly from Hawaii to Houston a half-dozen times a year and will never ride that plane in coach again for that distance on a redeye. Never ever. And that's not even being stuck in a seat a miserable as that one is. You also get to hear the toilet flush all night and be annoyed with people standing in area waiting to use the lav. I'll take a West Coast change of planes any day over that tube of coach misery HNL-IAH. I can barely stand coach from Hawaii to West Coast in that plane on a non-redeye..
LOL, thanks. I thought from the pictures that might be case. Will look for other seating. It looks like there are actually 8 seats in F on both flights but I'm still going to assume they'll be unavailable when I actually fly. I've flown those legs in coach many times, only did F fairly recently. I prefer the extra hour or two of sleep by not stopping in the West Coast but traveling Thanksgiving weekend is going to suck no matter what.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 4:10 pm

I have a transcon redeye in J coming up on this aircraft. I'm in 2D right now (rear-facing center aisle seat), but 1E (forward-facing middle) and 4L (last row forward-facing window) are also available. Should I stick with what I have?

I should note that I'm indifferent between aisle and window for this flight, as long as I'm set up for as quiet of a nap as I can be given the jet engines attached on either side of the cabin. (Is there a lot of lav/galley disturbance for row 4?)

Thanks!
Old Oct 25, 2018, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Personally I would take 4L, but if you don't actually care about looking out the window or having no one climb over you, stay put. Rear facing seats are better for sleeping.
aindfan likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by aindfan
I'm in 2D right now (rear-facing center aisle seat), but 1E (forward-facing middle) and 4L (last row forward-facing window) are also available. Should I stick with what I have?
Originally Posted by findark
Personally I would take 4L.
There are no "good" seats in this cabin, just less bad. I would take 4L as well. For privacy and because 2D will look right down the aisle into the Y cabin. I don't find front vs. rear facing to make any difference for sleeping. You can micro adjust the seat incline to preferred angle regardless.
aindfan likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:26 pm

Thanks! I went ahead and grabbed 4L. My only concern was lav/galley proximity, but other posts suggest that there's a wall next to 4K.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 2:06 pm

Flying on this plane in economy cross country with my wife and our 9 year old. Reserved 3 seats together on the side in row 42.

We're quite thin so don't have huge concern about the narrow seats. But wondering if it makes sense to change seats to 49/50A/B at the end of the plane on the side opposite to the rear bathrooms where they have only 2 seats per row. They are still available for free selection.

Keep reading they are a bit more spacious. We won't be together in one row there but if these seats are really more comfortable, maybe it makes sense?

Last edited by LeoNYC10; Nov 7, 2018 at 5:52 pm
Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Is there a new thread for the 777-200's that have been retrofitted with the new Polaris seats? I'm flying SFO-ORD on 11/21/18, and the seat map just updated from the three class 772 to a two class 772 with Polaris.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
Is there a new thread for the 777-200's that have been retrofitted with the new Polaris seats? I'm flying SFO-ORD on 11/21/18, and the seat map just updated from the three class 772 to a two class 772 with Polaris.
Congrats and hope it sticks! (If you're flying in J)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...seats-77j.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.