Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28J,102E+,234E-)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United has a higher-density 777 primarily for domestic flights, with 3-4-3 across economy seating and a smaller business ("United First") class with lie-flat seating. There are three versions, which UA is labeling Version 2, Version 3, and Version 4. The differences from prior 777 planes are the economy lavatory areas and the surrounding seats (Rows 37, 39, 40, 41 and 52). This plane features 28-32 lie-flat United First seats, 102-124 Economy-plus seats, and 206-234 Economy seats. All United First seats have in-flight entertainment screens and at-seat power. The United First seats are the same lie-flat "coffins" that were used on international 777 flights prior to the introduction of the Polaris seats. All Economy seats have power outlets (2 outlets for 3-seat groups and 3 outlets for 4-seat groups), but do not have seat-back entertainment screens (just a device holder).

United 777 Version 2

United 777 Version 3

United 777 Version 4

Most Hawaii 777-200 flights will be either of these versions. Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a UA 772 Hawaii Configuration

For the most privacy, the only aisle seats in business that do not face the person opposite you are 4B and 4K

https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-777-gallery

Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28J,102E+,234E-)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:54 pm

Thumbs down United's !st class seats on 777-200

I understand the Hawaii bound 777-200 flights are not going to get the new Polaris configuration, but does anyone know if they are planning on ditching the seat configuration they have currently. I recently took the nonstop from DEN - HNL ( 777-200 version 3 ) and spent 6 hours avoiding the glare of a passenger on the isle seat across from me, as their line of sight was my direction ( odd row seats ) . Honestly it was not the BEST flight, to begin with, having flown Hawaiian's First Class last year and the previous year was United but in a 2 & 2 First Class lie flat seating configuration, I was not prepared for the new seating, the narrow seats, and my favorite adult beverage being axed from their selections, not to mention the First Class bathroom was apparently used as water park entertainment by a previous passenger and the meal service was delayed due to a oven not working which resulted in seriously overdone dinner ( no worries, I was dreaming of Macadamia nut Mahi Mahi anyway ) . On my way again in April 2019 on the United nonstop DEN - HNL ( taking 92 yr old mother ) and hoping there have been enough complaints of the awkward seat configurations. Anyone heard any upcoming changes ?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 1newbie
I understand the Hawaii bound 777-200 flights are not going to get the new Polaris configuration, but does anyone know if they are planning on ditching the seat configuration they have currently.
On my way again in April 2019 on the United nonstop DEN - HNL ( taking 92 yr old mother ) and hoping there have been enough complaints of the awkward seat configurations. Anyone heard any upcoming changes ?
The line of sight issue has been well known for years before this configuration was created, it seems to bother some more than others. These 772 were specifically designed and reconfigured about 2 years ago (well knowing the issues you raised -- the middle 4 seat section isn't popular on FT either,) so I would not expect to see any changes for years.

An aside -- you are getting lie flat for about half the costs of an equivalent length of UA flight for TAPC or TATL. This is not a high revenue destination and therefore the need to squeeze seats in.

Also, see UA Creating High-Density 777 Domestic Subfleet

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 4, 2018 at 1:35 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
They will fly the 77Gs in their current configuration until the wings fall off -- I would not expect to see any improvements unless it's to add more seats.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:23 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I recently took the nonstop from DEN - HNL ( 777-200 version 3 ) and spent 6 hours avoiding the glare of a passenger on the isle seat across from me, as their line of sight was my direction ( odd row seats ) . On my way again in April 2019 on the United nonstop DEN - HNL ( taking 92 yr old mother ) and hoping there have been enough complaints of the awkward seat configurations.
Why was the passenger across the aisle angry with you?

Since my wife and I have a strong preference for aisle seats (as it's getting difficult for us to get out from a window or middle seat) we take seats across the aisle of each other so we just get to look at somebody we like.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:07 pm

That's good idea, I honestly would not of thought of that on my own ... Don't think they were angry, I took it more as whatever I was doing was far more interesting than the other choices that were available, but a non stop glare ( intense stare maybe?? ) it was....... very awkward......
Old Aug 4, 2018, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
That's good idea, I honestly would not of thought of that on my own ... Don't think they were angry, I took it more as whatever I was doing was far more interesting than the other choices that were available, but a non stop glare ( intense stare maybe?? ) it was....... very awkward......
Yeah, the aisle seats in 2-4-2 have that problem... I am easily distracted by other pax and especially their screens. I have watched numerous movies and TV shows through the gap in the row in front or the reflection in the window (on domestic flights).
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:38 am

While we are on the topic of new 772 configs, has anyone seen one like this? This is a seat map preview for UA51 EWR-MAD on October 19.

Odd (to me, at least) that there is no E+ in the center 4 of rows 24-26, and that there are 2 seaters on the window sides of rows 37-40. The asymmetry for the last row kills me.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by whistler814
While we are on the topic of new 772 configs, has anyone seen one like this? This is a seat map preview for UA51 EWR-MAD on October 19.

Odd (to me, at least) that there is no E+ in the center 4 of rows 24-26, and that there are 2 seaters on the window sides of rows 37-40. The asymmetry for the last row kills me.
This appears to be a version 4 772. The middle seats in 24-26 are not actually spaced like they appear, as they have the same pitch as E-. There are 2 seaters on the windows to make space for bathrooms in the center.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DA201
This appears to be a version 4 772. The middle seats in 24-26 are not actually spaced like they appear, as they have the same pitch as E-. There are 2 seaters on the windows to make space for bathrooms in the center.
I am seeing this on my flight also and not sure which thread to discuss ths?. Interesting they changed Y to 10 across but kept the old seats in C. I guess these planes are never betting real Polaris?
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by username
I am seeing this on my flight also and not sure which thread to discuss ths?. Interesting they changed Y to 10 across but kept the old seats in C. I guess these planes are never betting real Polaris?
I thought they changed out 2-3-2 recliners in C to 2-4-2 sardine lie-flat at same time they went to 10-across in Y.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I thought they changed out 2-3-2 recliners in C to 2-4-2 sardine lie-flat at same time they went to 10-across in Y.
Yes, by "old" I was referring to the sardine lie-flat (compared with Polaris). Can't believe they are still using this on routes like SFO-LHR. Do we have a thread for this somewhere?

Oh, then the 772 still has F also...

Last edited by username; Oct 14, 2018 at 12:30 pm
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Yes, by "old" I was referring to the sardine lie-flat (compared with Polaris). Can't believe they are still using this on routes like SFO-LHR. Do we have a thread for this somewhere?

Oh, then the 772 still has F also...
Yeah, unfortunately, the most expedient route LHR-OGG has been on the 772 departure to SFO. My upcoming trip has just been swapped to 773ER, so I think there’s going to be fewer and fewer 8-across flights SFO<>LHR. Eastbound OGG-LHR presents a variety of options to avoid the 3-cabin 772 (as I am not usually in GF).
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by findark
They will fly the 77Gs in their current configuration until the wings fall off -- I would not expect to see any improvements unless it's to add more seats.
I'm not sure adding more seats would be viewed as an improvement given the existing density!
Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Can't believe they are still using this on routes like SFO-LHR.
UA has never used the 77G on SFO-LHR.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
UA has never used the 77G on SFO-LHR.
Here is why I am confused: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...my-2018-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.