Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28J,102E+,234E-)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United has a higher-density 777 primarily for domestic flights, with 3-4-3 across economy seating and a smaller business ("United First") class with lie-flat seating. There are three versions, which UA is labeling Version 2, Version 3, and Version 4. The differences from prior 777 planes are the economy lavatory areas and the surrounding seats (Rows 37, 39, 40, 41 and 52). This plane features 28-32 lie-flat United First seats, 102-124 Economy-plus seats, and 206-234 Economy seats. All United First seats have in-flight entertainment screens and at-seat power. The United First seats are the same lie-flat "coffins" that were used on international 777 flights prior to the introduction of the Polaris seats. All Economy seats have power outlets (2 outlets for 3-seat groups and 3 outlets for 4-seat groups), but do not have seat-back entertainment screens (just a device holder).

United 777 Version 2

United 777 Version 3

United 777 Version 4

Most Hawaii 777-200 flights will be either of these versions. Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a UA 772 Hawaii Configuration

For the most privacy, the only aisle seats in business that do not face the person opposite you are 4B and 4K

https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-777-gallery

Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28J,102E+,234E-)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2018, 6:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by EAlyse
.... My husband and I are not particularly tall at 5'5 and 5'9, ....
might be worth looking at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...solidated.html numerous 5'9"ers commenting on the positive aspects of E+ -- EWR-SFO is close to a 6-hour flight.

Alternative possibility is purchasing the middle seat -- even in E- that helps a lot. On the EWR-SFO, while there may be an occasional empty seat, they are not common especially on a Monday morning.
How to buy an extra seat? "EXTRASEAT" for paid or award flights
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Followup question due to new information - My Husband just informed me that he received an offer to get Silver status if he pays $400. He made his miles, but missed on the PQD. If he gets status then we would have the offer to upgrade to E+ upon check in and the $400 for status is cheaper than paying for the upgrade. So my question is this - How likely is it that E+ will get filled up by gold or higher before we get a chance to upgrade at check-in? Is it worth the risk? At least he would get status for the rest of the year anyway?

To put it in full context our itinerary is EWR -> SFO -> OGG then OGG -> SFO -> EWR

Last edited by EAlyse; Feb 13, 2018 at 2:10 pm
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I think it's a relatively risky gamble on a Monday morning EWR-SFO. The real thing to consider instead of $400 for Premier Silver is getting an Economy Plus subscription (slightly more expensive but gives you the equivalent of a Premier Gold's access to E+) and the MP Explorer Card ($95 AF offset by signup bonus). You lose out on Premier Access and the vanishingly rare CPU, but gain most of the other benefits of Silver, and some of Gold.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by findark
I think it's a relatively risky gamble on a Monday morning EWR-SFO. The real thing to consider instead of $400 for Premier Silver is getting an Economy Plus subscription (slightly more expensive but gives you the equivalent of a Premier Gold's access to E+) and the MP Explorer Card ($95 AF offset by signup bonus). You lose out on Premier Access and the vanishingly rare CPU, but gain most of the other benefits of Silver, and some of Gold.
I think if we were just stopping at SFO that would be true, but we are continuing on to OGG and the base subscription won't cover Hawaii. Would that change anything in your opinion?
Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I think if we were just stopping at SFO that would be true, but we are continuing on to OGG and the base subscription won't cover Hawaii. Would that change anything in your opinion?
It depends a lot on the rest of your travel plans. You're talking an extra $400-500 for the subscription (Americas or Global for two), which isn't nothing, but it is going to provide you with a lot of E+. If you have more travel planned beyond this trip, I think the value proposition goes up. If you are only looking at this trip, fishing for buyups to First at checkin and/or the Silver status seem like a better deal.

But I think a lot of depends on how much you value various outcomes, versus chances at them, etc.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:32 pm

It depends a lot on the rest of your travel plans. You're talking an extra $400-500 for the subscription (Americas or Global for two), which isn't nothing, but it is going to provide you with a lot of E+. If you have more travel planned beyond this trip, I think the value proposition goes up. If you are only looking at this trip, fishing for buyups to First at checkin and/or the Silver status seem like a better deal.

But I think a lot of depends on how much you value various outcomes, versus chances at them, etc.
The subscription for North America with a companion is $799 so it's a good $300 more than the status.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The subscription for North America with a companion is $799 so it's a good $300 more than the status.
But you get to select E+ seats anytime vs at T-24. So likely better choice of seats and better chance of getting two seats together. But you don't get the Premier Access or 1 free bag of Premier Silver (but a Explorer credit card would cover that).
Old Feb 13, 2018, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right - like WineCountryUA notes, you get substantially more for the extra money. Because the benefits extend beyond your current itinerary, it's worth considering that impact as well. It's hard to weigh in personally, as I would probably be doing this as EWR-YYZ-EWR-HNL-OGG in F, but I think those are the relevant features.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Flying the 777 from ORD to SFO in April. Seat map on United is below. Currently the wife and I are in 40k and 40L (2 seats instead of three). However, is this an error because the seat map on SeatGuru shows this row as the normal 3.

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Un..._777-200_9.php
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Filler03
Flying the 777 from ORD to SFO in April. Seat map on United is below. Currently the wife and I are in 40k and 40L (2 seats instead of three). However, is this an error because the seat map on SeatGuru shows this row as the normal 3.

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Un..._777-200_9.php
No this is the 777-200 Version 4 - see United's website (and above in the Wiki):

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...0/default.aspx

David
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:41 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Sadly, as I've posted many times, Seatguru ain't what it used to be

Just click on the Wiki at the top of the page, it shows both configurations.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:20 am

Programs: American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by DELee
No this is the 777-200 Version 4 - see United's website (and above in the Wiki):

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...0/default.aspx

David
Got it, thanks! Any thoughts on this seats in 40 vs other Economy seats? Do people crowd around the LAV here? Also, what are the loads from ORD to SFO? Does E- often fly out with empty middle seats?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Filler03

Got it, thanks! Any thoughts on this seats in 40 vs other Economy seats? Do people crowd around the LAV here? Also, what are the loads from ORD to SFO? Does E- often fly out with empty middle seats?
I would be careful with these seats. They load this seat map for every flight far out and then change it between v3 and v4 close in once they know the actual plane that will be flying the flight. You have a near even chance of there magically being an aisle seat on that row.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Followup question due to new information - My Husband just informed me that he received an offer to get Silver status if he pays $400. He made his miles, but missed on the PQD. If he gets status then we would have the offer to upgrade to E+ upon check in and the $400 for status is cheaper than paying for the upgrade. So my question is this - How likely is it that E+ will get filled up by gold or higher before we get a chance to upgrade at check-in? Is it worth the risk? At least he would get status for the rest of the year anyway?

To put it in full context our itinerary is EWR -> SFO -> OGG then OGG -> SFO -> EWR
Another factor to stick into the equation is that with Silver, you're going to get 1 free bag for you and your companion. Again, if you have any more travel for the year, this could add up too.

Cheers,
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:16 am

Right - like WineCountryUA notes, you get substantially more for the extra money. Because the benefits extend beyond your current itinerary, it's worth considering that impact as well. It's hard to weigh in personally, as I would probably be doing this as EWR-YYZ-EWR-HNL-OGG in F, but I think those are the relevant features.
Thank you so much for your input. After some debate we ended up buying my Husband the economy plus subscription with companion. The extra legroom will really come in handy when I'm 28 weeks pregnant and need some room to move around on four 6-hour flights. He is also called United before the deadline to buy up to Silver and they are letting him do a challenge to get the Silver status which with his current business travel he should get it before our trip. So we are booked in our E+ seats for the trip and should get the free bag when he makes status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.