Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017 ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2016, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous year's thread -- [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016 ...
& [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

PQDs can only be earned by flying, but not all are subject to PQD requirements.
Non-USA registered MP members are exempt from PQD requirements.
Others can be exempt from PQDs up to the Premier Platinum by have a Chase PresidentalPlus credit card {not open to new members} or by annually spending $25,000 or more as a primary MP branded Chase credit cardholder.

PQMs can be earned by flying UA or various flight partners and by various bonuses related to flying (class or service, promos, ...)
PQMs can be purchased by Premier Accelerator purchases.
Certain legacy (not available to new customers) Chase MP credit cards earn PQMs or FPQMs

related threads
UA/Star Alliance: 2016 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Premium Fare Deals

Poor man's MR planner
Google Flights enter a starting airport, leave the destination blank, select airlines - Star Alliance, set travel days and max cost and view the Map for options. Try multiple dates.
kayak.com/explore has similiar functionality

Will UA Grant 2017 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2016?

Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2016 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2016 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2016 Consolidated]
Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2016 Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017 ..

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2016, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by bquinif
Thanks again. I just called, and the agent I spoke with said that only the travel agent not United could change the ticket...so it seems like I may be striking out here. Hopefully it will be a moot point and she can take one more flight costing at least $242 at some point of the year.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes BUT perhaps a bad idea, if the OP's wife had an irrop or needed the TA assistance, there would be problems. Some corporate travel departments would get very upset . This take-over can work for personal tickets but not a good idea for corporate tickets.

A better solution is a SDC upfare -- can be done on TA tickets without the above issues.
Agents will either (a) refuse to take over a TA ticket; (b) charge a $50 fee; (c) do it for free. Definitely a lottery as to which you get, although a cooperative TA will endorse the ticket to UA or do the upfare themselves.

Given it's not you doing the traveling I think WineCountryUA's advice is sound. Personally I have no issue stealing tickets from the TA since I almost always deal with day-of IRROPS myself with the airlines directly, but it is nonetheless a fair point.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
Upfares by definition always qualify for PQD.

Purchased upgrades do not.

OP, if you call UA and say "I'd like to upfare this ticket to a P (or A or whatever)" the additional fare will earn PQD.
Will try this giving them a call. This is a corporate ticket so I hope I can get the agent who just takes over the ticket without a hassle.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 10:16 pm

I'll be 7500 PQM short of Gold and am contemplating a mileage run. I was looking at a $260 SFO-EWR RT in December which would net me at least 5k PQM and with a buyup to P for one of the legs it would be enough to cover the 7500 PQM I need.

My questions are, how common are decent buyups for PS flights and would this be a good value?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by altbg
I'll be 7500 PQM short of Gold and am contemplating a mileage run. I was looking at a $260 SFO-EWR RT in December which would net me at least 5k PQM and with a buyup to P for one of the legs it would be enough to cover the 7500 PQM I need.

My questions are, how common are decent buyups for PS flights and would this be a good value?
If you want to be sure to earn the 2x PQM for P, then I'd recommend you purchase a P fare. That's currently $649 one way on SFO-EWR. A so-called "buy-up" can book into R, PN, or ZN, none of which will earn you additional PQM.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 10:53 pm

If you want to be sure to earn the 2x PQM for P, then I'd recommend you purchase a P fare. That's currently $649 one way on SFO-EWR. A so-called "buy-up" can book into R, PN, or ZN, none of which will earn you additional PQM.
I've done numerous buy-ups this year and they all ended up being a P or A fare with 200% PQM. Did I just get lucky? Or are PS flights different in this regard?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've done numerous buy-ups this year and they all ended up being a P or A fare with 200% PQM. Did I just get lucky? Or are PS flights different in this regard?
That's not uncommon, but do you really want to find after-the-fact that your return wound up in R? Do you have a second weekend just in case?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

Alternate ideas (if it's a true MR) are ORD or CLE. Not lie-flat, but only about $850 and $1000, respectively, for P r.t. Cheaper and shorter than EWR.

SFO-ORD is about 7400 RDMs (not sure how exact your "7500" is), CLE over 8k.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 12:12 am

I need 7460 exactly, ORD wouldn't quite get me there. EWR with only one leg on a P fare would net me 7500+ for around $775.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 12:28 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I need 7460 exactly, ORD wouldn't quite get me there. EWR with only one leg on a P fare would net me 7500+ for around $775.
For $533 you can fly SFO-TPE.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 1:11 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
How can I determine the PQM mileage for ZRH to SIN ? I know it is 2x on LX in Z, but what is the distance? Is it just the great circle distance (which is 6405m)?
Old Nov 2, 2016, 5:50 am

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
I just bought up 3 of my flights to get the PQD's I will need to requalify for 1K and they were all A fares. They immediately show the new PQD and award miles I will earn on the accruals section on the United App
Old Nov 2, 2016, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1k
Consider BOS which is possibly cheaper and has some lie flats.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Brandinho1
I just bought up 3 of my flights to get the PQD's I will need to requalify for 1K and they were all A fares. They immediately show the new PQD and award miles I will earn on the accruals section on the United App
Awful lot of vague terminology being used around here, which is not particularly helpful and may lead people to make decisions they later regret.

You can "upfare" which means buying up to a higher fare class, in which case the purchase will change the underlying fare basis and accrue additional PQD, RDM, and (if applicable) PQM.

Or you can purchase an "upgrade" in which case the underlying fare basis will not change, but the booking code will. This purchase will not accrue additional PQD or RDM, but depending on the booking code, it may result in additional PQM.

Unfortunately, if you are simply accepting United's offer to "upgrade your flight" you cannot know in advance which of these you are buying, nor if it's a purchased upgrade, whether your new booking class will accrue additional PQM. So caveat emptor.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 8:18 am

For $533 you can fly SFO-TPE.
I was briefly considering that as well. But I don't want to take any chances with the the current 747 reliability. And being stuck in E+ for 11 hours is not something I would want to endure either.

BOS seems to be more expensive than EWR. I was trying some other routings as well but either the fares are too high or I can't get a same day turn to work. I know EWR is a dump but it still offers the most flexibility.

Looks like it's going to be outbound in E+ and return on a P fare for me.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
I was briefly considering that as well. But I don't want to take any chances with the the current 747 reliability. And being stuck in E+ for 11 hours is not something I would want to endure either.

BOS seems to be more expensive than EWR. I was trying some other routings as well but either the fares are too high or I can't get a same day turn to work. I know EWR is a dump but it still offers the most flexibility.

Looks like it's going to be outbound in E+ and return on a P fare for me.
Try SFO-SJU?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.