Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017 ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2016, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous year's thread -- [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016 ...
& [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

PQDs can only be earned by flying, but not all are subject to PQD requirements.
Non-USA registered MP members are exempt from PQD requirements.
Others can be exempt from PQDs up to the Premier Platinum by have a Chase PresidentalPlus credit card {not open to new members} or by annually spending $25,000 or more as a primary MP branded Chase credit cardholder.

PQMs can be earned by flying UA or various flight partners and by various bonuses related to flying (class or service, promos, ...)
PQMs can be purchased by Premier Accelerator purchases.
Certain legacy (not available to new customers) Chase MP credit cards earn PQMs or FPQMs

related threads
UA/Star Alliance: 2016 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Premium Fare Deals

Poor man's MR planner
Google Flights enter a starting airport, leave the destination blank, select airlines - Star Alliance, set travel days and max cost and view the Map for options. Try multiple dates.
kayak.com/explore has similiar functionality

Will UA Grant 2017 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2016?

Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2016 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2016 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2016 Consolidated]
Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2016 Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017 ..

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2016, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Is it too early to start speculating on {January buy up offers}? I already hit 1K, but with some work travel, my wife is going to be ~6k PQM and ~$1.5k PQD short of 1K at year end...I feel like I would seriously consider getting her kicked up if the offer is at $2k or lower.

Thoughts?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 18, 2016 at 9:15 pm Reason: moved post
Old Oct 30, 2016, 6:40 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
I just calculated that I will be 1700 miles short of 1K - is there any better option than to buy 2000 accelerator miles at this late stage of the year? (probably have to use the 24hr grace period method).

Anyone have other ideas?
Old Oct 30, 2016, 9:28 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Only choices are
- purchased PQMs
- Fly
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sabbasolo
I just calculated that I will be 1700 miles short of 1K - is there any better option than to buy 2000 accelerator miles at this late stage of the year? (probably have to use the 24hr grace period method).

Anyone have other ideas?
SDC might be your friend. Add connections wherever you can ... that costs near nothing but can add a lot of PQMS. Much cheaper often than buying anew ticket.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 11:02 am

Just short on PQM and PQD...ideas?

It looks like my wife is going to be ever so slightly short on both PQM and PQD (424 and $252, respectively) of making Gold this year. Extra frustrating since she is taking a business class flight on LOT which only earns 1x PQM and 0x PQD...

Any ideas on the cheapests/least painful way to get over the hump (other than the obvious, just take another flight)?

Here are options I've considered:

-Award accelerator: very expensive ($650), and don't believe that even counts for PQD

-Economy plus purchases: do E+ purchases for flights in 2017 count for 2016?
Old Oct 31, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by bquinif
It looks like my wife is going to be ever so slightly short on both PQM and PQD (424 and $252, respectively) of making Gold this year. Extra frustrating since she is taking a business class flight on LOT which only earns 1x PQM and 0x PQD...

Any ideas on the cheapests/least painful way to get over the hump (other than the obvious, just take another flight)?

Here are options I've considered:

-Award accelerator: very expensive ($650), and don't believe that even counts for PQD

-Economy plus purchases: do E+ purchases for flights in 2017 count for 2016?
Award accelerator? I'm sure it doesn't earn PQM nor PQD. The only thing Award Accelerator is good for is topping up your redeemable miles so you have enough miles for awards.

Jiburi
Old Oct 31, 2016, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by jiburi
Award accelerator? I'm sure it doesn't earn PQM nor PQD. The only thing Award Accelerator is good for is topping up your redeemable miles so you have enough miles for awards.

Jiburi
Unless I'm mistaken you can add PQM onto Accelerator, albeit at a very expensive rate (>10c per PQM and with increments in the thousands of PQM).
Old Oct 31, 2016, 11:23 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Any ideas on the cheapests/least painful way to get over the hump (other than the obvious, just take another flight)? ....
Any flights (outside of the LOT) left for 2016? Upfaring earns PQDs and PQMs.

Is a short PQM/PQD MR is option? This or the E+ subscription is pretty much it.

Probably too late to get $25K spend on a Chase MP credit card to get a PQD waiver.

-Award accelerator: very expensive ($650), and don't believe that even counts for PQD ...
correct no PQD earning. Just RDMs and optionally PQMs.

... -Economy plus purchases: do E+ purchases for flights in 2017 count for 2016?
Annual subscription posts immediately to the individual it is purchased for. Individual flight purchased access post with the flight.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 11:41 am

Would upfaring a LAX-SFO flight (currently in K class) possibly work? That's a sub-500 mile flight, so would a silver in first class earn 1000 PQM minimum?

She may have another chance at a UA flight later in the year, which would make this all a moot point (well, if the flight is $253), but she is somewhat at the mercy of her corporate travel dept (they have pretty strict rules about taking the cheapest flight).
Old Oct 31, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA PLT
Going to end up somewhere around $10,800 in PQD and just north of 80,000 PQM with the rest of my travel for the year set. I never thought I'd ever be so close to 1k and am sorely tempted to go on an MR to SIN or HKG. I have the time (my work will slow down a lot in November/December so I should be able to take whatever vacation I need) and I don't actually mind long flights in economy. But is 1k really worth $1,200 of my own money these days, or I am chasing status purely for vanity's sake?
Old Oct 31, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
I'm not sure how I managed to do this, and it will probably never happen again...but I am going to end the year with exactly 100,000 PQM
Old Oct 31, 2016, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by dcaiadflyer
Going to end up somewhere around $10,800 in PQD and just north of 80,000 PQM with the rest of my travel for the year set. I never thought I'd ever be so close to 1k and am sorely tempted to go on an MR to SIN or HKG. I have the time (my work will slow down a lot in November/December so I should be able to take whatever vacation I need) and I don't actually mind long flights in economy. But is 1k really worth $1,200 of my own money these days, or I am chasing status purely for vanity's sake?
If the MR is worth it intrinsically for you, I would probably pay $1,200 for 1K status if I felt I had a place to use the GPUs.

Would upfaring a LAX-SFO flight (currently in K class) possibly work? That's a sub-500 mile flight, so would a silver in first class earn 1000 PQM minimum?

She may have another chance at a UA flight later in the year, which would make this all a moot point (well, if the flight is $253), but she is somewhat at the mercy of her corporate travel dept (they have pretty strict rules about taking the cheapest flight).
Assuming it's a standalone LAX-SFO (and not a connection on a through fare), this is the perfect place to do this. An elite in F will earn 1,000 PQM for the segment, and you can earn up to 1,000 PQD by calling and asking for an appropriately expensive fare.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Unless I'm mistaken you can add PQM onto Accelerator, albeit at a very expensive rate (>10c per PQM and with increments in the thousands of PQM).
Sometimes at booking (and at checkin) I have recently seen premier accelerator purchase quantities as low as 2,000 miles. Once the reservation is ticketed, I haven't seen any options below 5,000 miles.

Thankfully I haven't had to buy any this year. I've been just up-faring to F ... at least I'm getting something for my money.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by findark
If the MR is worth it intrinsically for you, I would probably pay $1,200 for 1K status if I felt I had a place to use the GPUs.

Assuming it's a standalone LAX-SFO (and not a connection on a through fare), this is the perfect place to do this. An elite in F will earn 1,000 PQM for the segment, and you can earn up to 1,000 PQD by calling and asking for an appropriately expensive fare.
Thanks. Her itinerary is actually this:

EWR-LAX (Z) (2x PQM)
LAX-SFO (K) (1x PQM)
SFO-EWR (J) (3x PQM)

I'll just give United a call to see if it's possible to bump up to F on the LAX-SFO segment.

Slightly off topic, it still blows my mind that J on LOT only gets 1x...
Old Oct 31, 2016, 1:09 pm

Comes up all the time, there's a wiki ... best to follow up there.

Originally Posted by dcaiadflyer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.