Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017 ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2016, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous year's thread -- [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016 ...
& [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

PQDs can only be earned by flying, but not all are subject to PQD requirements.
Non-USA registered MP members are exempt from PQD requirements.
Others can be exempt from PQDs up to the Premier Platinum by have a Chase PresidentalPlus credit card {not open to new members} or by annually spending $25,000 or more as a primary MP branded Chase credit cardholder.

PQMs can be earned by flying UA or various flight partners and by various bonuses related to flying (class or service, promos, ...)
PQMs can be purchased by Premier Accelerator purchases.
Certain legacy (not available to new customers) Chase MP credit cards earn PQMs or FPQMs

related threads
UA/Star Alliance: 2016 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Premium Fare Deals

Poor man's MR planner
Google Flights enter a starting airport, leave the destination blank, select airlines - Star Alliance, set travel days and max cost and view the Map for options. Try multiple dates.
kayak.com/explore has similiar functionality

Will UA Grant 2017 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2016?

Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2016 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2016 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2016 Consolidated]
Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2016 Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017 ..

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2016, 6:26 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by fumje
Have you done the calculations for what a standard routing would credit for mileage? Off the top of my head, if those are round-trips, I don't think you'd have trouble finding 8,000 miles from them.
They are not RT. I am returning from an extended stay in Europe in Nov, will be in the BOS area for about a week and then need to return home to LAS. A few weeks later, I will need to travel to RIC and then onto PIT, where I'll be staying for the remainder of 2016 for the holidays. It's really only 2 long-ish flights. P fares would take care of it, but I'm also trying to do this as cheaply as possible since PQD aren't an issue.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by horse glasses
They are not RT. I am returning from an extended stay in Europe in Nov, will be in the BOS area for about a week and then need to return home to LAS. A few weeks later, I will need to travel to RIC and then onto PIT, where I'll be staying for the remainder of 2016 for the holidays. It's really only 2 long-ish flights. P fares would take care of it, but I'm also trying to do this as cheaply as possible since PQD aren't an issue.
That sounds like a challenge. How short on PQM will you be? I think your best bet is using the 500mi.-min. for segments. You may want to try multi-city tickets to include, e.g., BOS-EWR, LAS-SFO, IAD-RIC.

Upfaring to P is perhaps the better option, though.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K/SA *Gold
Need 3112 Miles to Hit United Platinum. Ideas?

Hi,
I am a Star Alliance Gold member based in NYC using EWR as my United hub.

Through the rest of the year, I've got three more flights coming up, totaling 19,000 miles. I am at 52,888 so I'll basically be shy of hitting Platinum by 3112 miles.

Scheduled Flights:
1. EWR-MXP round-trip, coach.
2. EWR-MXP-TPA coach
3. TPA-EWR biz

Buying up to biz on the MXP euro legs is almost 1500 dollars, pretty out of reach for me.

I am already flying once in October, 3 x in November (once on AA), and leaving December 15 for Christmas using miles on Air India, so I am running out of time for travel.

Any ideas how to nab the last 3112 miles? Maybe a weekend hop to California? Should I consider award accelerators as a last resort? They are generally bad deals but at least don't require additional travel. Any great mileage legs with decent prices out there?

I don't post very often, mostly read, so advance apologies if I am missing any info or used the wrong lingo.

Thanks!
Lauren
Old Oct 9, 2016, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
try SDC with connections. e.g. MXP-TPA you should be able to get e.g. MXP-EWR-IAH-TPA. TATL fares generally allow the extra connection and allow IAH as a route (check routing rules though). Else a $200 r/t to MSY via IAH might do.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA-gld HH-gld Marriot-gld Hertz-Pres Circle
Can you fly United instead of AA for that one trip?
Old Oct 9, 2016, 1:12 pm

Thanks @cfischer! I just saw the consolidated thread for United mileage run requests, so will remove this post and leave my message up on that thread instead.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold
First thing that came to mind for me was a round trip to LAX. You'd get closer to 5k miles for that and I think you could find decent deals on that route (~$300).
Old Oct 9, 2016, 1:14 pm

@Phorever: I tried to but I am going to Nevis through St. Kitts and couldn't make the United flight line-up with the AA flight I need to take to get there. United's flight was far more expensive and as a travel writer, the Nevis tourism board is paying the airfare so I can't push them to buy that ticket. Dates are November 2-6 if you've got ideas though. Or want to come!

@Simmang: I was thinking LAX, too. Will look into. Thanks!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 9, 2016 at 2:53 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 9, 2016, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Tons of PHL-West Coast flights at $200ish. Even EWR-SFO is $296 right now.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: UA Gold
This thread has been incredibly helpful in the past, thank you all.

I have a different scenario - I will have logged enough PQMs and PQDs to qualify for elite status, but I only have 3 UA-operated segments this year (I'm lucky enough to have my corporate TA frequently issue *A flights on UA stock), rather than the 4 required for qualification.

Does the buy-Premier Accelerator-then-cancel-ticket work for getting the final UA segment or do I have to actually fly it?
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by dancingal
Does the buy-Premier Accelerator-then-cancel-ticket work for getting the final UA segment or do I have to actually fly it?
You have to fly it. Also note it's four segments, not 4 PQS (in case you had two premium segments instead of 3 BIS).
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by findark
You have to fly it. Also note it's four segments, not 4 PQS (in case you had two premium segments instead of 3 BIS).
Ugh. Wishing I had planned for this earlier in the year. Thank you for the quick reply.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 2:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dancingal
.... I have a different scenario - I will have logged enough PQMs and PQDs to qualify for elite status, but I only have 3 UA-operated segments this year (I'm lucky enough to have my corporate TA frequently issue *A flights on UA stock), rather than the 4 required for qualification. ....
An option for those that can, is getting a Chase MP Club credit card (sometimes available for no first year fee) -- it has a waiver to the 4 UA segment requirement. Plus it has a few useful benefits.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 9:56 pm

Ideas for mileage run, need 12k miles

Given status match challenge and need 12k miles to qualify. Any suggestions on shortest routes that would earn me just that many miles over a weekend?
I am based out of SFO. 90 days to complete the challenge. Premium is not necessary but would be nice if it's a long flight and gets me the PQM I need.

I also purchased a non-refundable flight with Delta to London prior to knowing this. Anyway I can get it refunded fully instead of credit for later?

I think I posted to mileage run originally but was moved to here..

Last edited by gt6707a; Oct 12, 2016 at 8:37 pm Reason: Additional info
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gt6707a
Given status match challenge and need 12k miles to qualify. Any suggestions on shortest routes that would earn me just that many miles over a weekend?
From where?
How many time left on the challegne?
Is the use of premium cabin bonus, an option?

The Mileage Run forum generally has the best info on low costs options.

... I am based out of SFO. 90 days to complete the challenge. Premium is not necessary but would be nice if it's a long flight and gets me the PQM I need. ....
30 days out SFO-EWR PS flights in P fare (lie-flat seats) is 10,260 miles @ $1,300. Route as SFO-LAX-EWR RT and you are at 11,900 miles. Find the lie flat flight SFO-BOS and your get 10,800 PQMs with a P fare. Routing via LAX and you be over 12K. None of these are the cheapest but you get a bunch of PQMs for least time in the air and a comfortable seat. If you are going for cheapest, in economy, you are looking at TPAC (NRT is not quite enough) or TALT (FRA is not quite far enough). SFO-HKG??

I also purchased a non-refundable flight with Delta to London prior to knowing this. Anyway I can get it refunded fully instead of credit for later? ...
That's a DL forum question but generally short of a significant schedule change or weather waiver, non-refundable is non-refundable.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 12, 2016 at 9:07 pm Reason: self-merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.