Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017 ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2016, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous year's thread -- [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016 ...
& [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

PQDs can only be earned by flying, but not all are subject to PQD requirements.
Non-USA registered MP members are exempt from PQD requirements.
Others can be exempt from PQDs up to the Premier Platinum by have a Chase PresidentalPlus credit card {not open to new members} or by annually spending $25,000 or more as a primary MP branded Chase credit cardholder.

PQMs can be earned by flying UA or various flight partners and by various bonuses related to flying (class or service, promos, ...)
PQMs can be purchased by Premier Accelerator purchases.
Certain legacy (not available to new customers) Chase MP credit cards earn PQMs or FPQMs

related threads
UA/Star Alliance: 2016 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Premium Fare Deals

Poor man's MR planner
Google Flights enter a starting airport, leave the destination blank, select airlines - Star Alliance, set travel days and max cost and view the Map for options. Try multiple dates.
kayak.com/explore has similiar functionality

Will UA Grant 2017 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2016?

Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2016 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2016 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2016 Consolidated]
Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2016 Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017 ..

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2016, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by aacharya
https://goo.gl/flights/lVc5

Three segments.

I imagine far far cheaper than F CMH-ORD.

And if there's weather, fly CMH-ORD-CMH, and ask for ORC.
Thank you for all your help everyone. The fare you found me aacharya is cheaper than the $378 I was able to find to EWR and back. I really appreciate all the help, everyone.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:30 pm

First time ever, I have the PQM for 1K (109K), but I'm short $670 PQD. I've got enough time to do my first-ever mileage run. What should I be considering?

It'll be a quick out and back, with one-night stayover, so I'll favor a place that appeals to me, of course.
I'll try to maximize the miles for earning potential.
I'll stick with United-operated flights. Maybe I can use one or both of my RPUs.
Minimize taxes and such, relative to PQD.
I'm not going to overshoot the PQD need.

Anything I'm forgetting? I did look at the Mileage Run thread (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...lp-needed.html), but since I don't need miles, and I just need to spend dollars, it didn't seem like the place to post this.

Thanks!

Last edited by 365RoadWarrior; Dec 19, 2016 at 1:48 pm
Old Dec 19, 2016, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
So I bit the bullet.

Wife flew CVG-MAA last week, and when the PQM posted, it landed at ~49,000 PQM. Right around what I thought. She'll be there for the rest of the year, and didn't want to do an AI mileage run (go figure!). She already hit CC waiver so no PQD issues.

Finally, after confirming what I figured all along, and went ahead and spent the $ on UA.com on her select card on our TravelBank. We have been buying most UA tickets with CSR now, because traveling with baby, the insurance benefits in general are more important than the PQM, so weren't near the threshold anyway.

I suspect the miles probably won't post until mid-Jan, but according to (very detailed) Chase rep, my reading of the rules beforehand, and my previous experience with UA.com spend, and even doing it on TravelBank (though I don't have any this close to year end), should post dated Dec. 30 and count. And the better part is that contrary to buying PQM with accelerator, I'm not spending anything extra - since I can use those funds to book flights for next year when we're ready - I'm just spending it a little earlier than I would have otherwise.

Another great reason to keep the Select card.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by decillion
Thanks. Basically my situation is - I'm set to get Premier Silver after a flight on Dec 30. One of the legs of my trip (SFO to EWR) is waitlisted for a mile/co-pay upgrade.

I was wondering if spending money on our outbound flight tomorrow to get E+, S Class ticket, which would let me get Premier Silver before our return, would increase my party of 3's chances of getting off the upgrade list because of status priority.

Fwiw, we are not going to clear tomorrow because there are like 10 people on the waitlist and we're toward the bottom, with 3 seats available.
I might be wrong here because of the holidays, but I imagine the chances of clearing a waitlisted Friday p.s. upgrade as either a GM or a Silver are both very poor.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: Mileage Plus
Earn PQM without flying!

Hi,

I'm falling short by 914miles to be at platinum (goof happened because I travelled in Q class in SIA, without realising it doesn't earn any PQMs). Is there any way I can "buy" these 914 PQMs without actually flying? All the other modes of earning miles, including buying personal miles, doesn't count for PQM.

Thanks.

Prasad
Old Dec 23, 2016, 11:02 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by prasad14
... Is there any way I can "buy" these 914 PQMs without actually flying? ...
Yes, PQMs can be purchased via the Premier Accelerator option, this latest in the year they will not be inexpensive. The min will probabaly be 3,000 to 5,000 PQMs and cost varies but maybe be 10 to 20 cents per PQM and you will also need to but the RDMs (2-3 cpm).
A short round trip will likely be much cheaper but take personal time.

For more see
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...questions.html
and

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-2016-a.html
Old Dec 23, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold Club
Short $1030

Well a lot of my flights were cheap this year.. I just hit 75,346 PQM but I am short $1,030 ... At this point I rather just pay United the difference instead of using the time flying (and paying another $100 in taxes)

Thoughts? Looks like I will have to book & fly a quick out and back from Boston within the next few days...

Happy Holidays to all!
Old Dec 23, 2016, 2:24 pm

Programs: United 1K, American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Jimbo2552
Well a lot of my flights were cheap this year.. I just hit 75,346 PQM but I am short $1,030 ... At this point I rather just pay United the difference instead of using the time flying (and paying another $100 in taxes)

Thoughts? Looks like I will have to book & fly a quick out and back from Boston within the next few days...

Happy Holidays to all!
Hmm, why don't you go BOS-IAD *tomorrow* 24 December. Nice, expensive flight up front. US$1293 so that should be enough PQD right?
https://goo.gl/flights/fZpx
Old Dec 23, 2016, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Jimbo2552

Happy Holidays to all!
If you're flying for it, always just ask an agent for a First fare which will get you that many PQDs. There are always higher fares available
Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:20 pm

need 600 PQM to get 1K

Today a family member asked me for some help.

She is 600 PQM short of 1K (is 1K for 2016) and she didn't realize she was short because she booked an Aer Lingus, Dublin to NY, on UA ticket in business and they didn't award any PQM (different issue)

So she just realized she is 600 short. Anyone have any ideas on how to solve.

One important condition, she is unable to fly at all before the new year.

Thanks!
Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Buy a refundable fair, pay for PQMs, then get a refund on the flight. Costly, but the only way to get 1K without flying is to buy it.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-2016-a.html is the thread.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 5:06 pm

Family member came up $60 PQD short of silver

Is it possible to just pay the $60 difference to make silver? Family member came up $60 short although they hit the PQM
Old Jan 4, 2017, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by claaaaaydavis
Is it possible to just pay the $60 difference to make silver? Family member came up $60 short although they hit the PQM
Has not been possible in the past. Though they may be offered a buy up in status but you can almost count on it being much more than the $60.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.