Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Are cigarettes allowed in UA carry-on luggage?

Old Jul 5, 2016, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Did a quick search didn't find any discussion besides e-cigarettes and pipes. I did find out that CBP has rules about bringing cigarettes to the US.

However, I need to take two CARTONS of cigarettes with me going overseas, aka, 200 of them. Can I put them in my carry-on luggage? or I have to check them in?

TIA.

Last edited by goalie; Jul 7, 2016 at 12:55 pm Reason: typo fixed
Old Jul 5, 2016, 11:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Given Duty Free Shops still have large cigarettes sections, I think you will be find. Appears to be no specific UA restrictions UA Prohibited Carry-On items / Dangerous goods

There many be import / customs taxes at your arrival.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 12:09 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by cchang4
Did a quick search didn't find any discussion besides e-cigarettes and pipes. I did find out that CBP has rules about bringing cigarettes to the US.

However, I need to take two CARTOONS of cigarettes with me going overseas, aka, 200 of them. Can I put them in my carry-on luggage? or I have to check them in?

TIA.
If you are buying them in the US, you really can't check them since you will have already checked your bags before security and duty free is after security. (I guess you could gate check.)

I usually take one or two cartons for friends (I know, bad, bad, bad) and pick them up upon boarding (that's the only way to physically get them) and there never has been a problem.

You can also buy them on the plane and buy as many as you want (or as many as they have).

Now I see that you are trying to buy them overseas. Pretty much the same rules apply. Some shops won't sell you more than one since they know the duty free limits.

It is important to declare what you buy. Don't lie. The worse that could happen is that you pay some duty. The worst is that they hassle you for lying and take everything away.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 12:54 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
..However, I need to take two CARTOONS of cigarettes with me going overseas, aka, 200 of them...
Aren't most cartons ~200 fags? 2 cartons would then be 400.
Can I put them in my carry-on luggage? or I have to check them in?
I never had any issue brining them aboard any airline. The maximum I brought are 4 cartons.

Just try not to smoke them on the plane, even if the ashtray in the lavatories suggests that it is ok....
Old Jul 6, 2016, 1:05 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Yes; you can transport cigarettes in your UA carryon hand luggage to/from the US. You can also transport cigarettes in your checked luggage. Either way.

You must declare the number of cigarettes you are bringing into the US. The first 200 are duty free, and you then pay duties on the amount over 200 sticks. FWIW a carton of cigarettes contains 200 sticks (10 packs x 20) so one carton is allowed to be imported duty free.

And do claim all quantities you bring in. Not worth the consequences for not complying.

SL
Old Jul 6, 2016, 2:28 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
OP, if you want useful responses, where are you flying to?

UA could care less, but I know of a case where somebody had to cough up several hundred dollars for bringing 2 cases into Taiwan.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
However, I need to take two CARTOONS of cigarettes with me going overseas, aka, 200 of them. Can I put them in my carry-on luggage? or I have to check them in?
Cigarettes are allowed as carry-on, as in some cases, you will be able to find onboard duty-free offering cigarettes as well.

As always, onboard consumption is straightly prohibited

BTW - duty-free usually charges way much more expensive outside the airport. And the item from duty-free is not exempted from the duty allowance. So I am not sure why OP has to buy this at duty-free.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 2:38 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

FYI, I bought cigarettes in SIN yesterday. Approximately US$2.50 a pack. Downtown Chicago charges almost $10 MORE per pack, so it's a great deal.

UA Duty Free charges about US$4.00 per pack.

Alcohol is not such a great deal these days at Duty Free, but some bargains can be found.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 3:47 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by SunLover
Yes; you can transport cigarettes in your UA carryon hand luggage to/from the US. You can also transport cigarettes in your checked luggage. Either way.

You must declare the number of cigarettes you are bringing into the US. The first 200 are duty free, and you then pay duties on the amount over 200 sticks. FWIW a carton of cigarettes contains 200 sticks (10 packs x 20) so one carton is allowed to be imported duty free.

And do claim all quantities you bring in. Not worth the consequences for not complying.

SL
I bring 6 cartons a month from Dubai to NY.....$10 a carton in Dubai, $240 a carton in NY. I declare them EVERY time and only once in 4 years have they charged me duty, the duty is very little anyway and usually not worth their time. In fact, last week the gent said "thanks for being honest"
Old Jul 6, 2016, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I bring 6 cartons a month from Dubai to NY.....$10 a carton in Dubai, $240 a carton in NY. I declare them EVERY time and only once in 4 years have they charged me duty, the duty is very little anyway and usually not worth their time. In fact, last week the gent said "thanks for being honest"
Best practice ever. As Kramer on Seinfeld once postulated "duty is doody". And it's true. Actual customs taxes on such vices are surprisingly low.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Cigarettes are $24/pack in NY? I thought they were like $9 in the state and $15 in the city.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Thank you folks! A lot of good information. Sorry, I don't smoke at all, and I thought it was 200 in total This is for friends in China, hopefully there is no check through their custom.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 12:38 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Good Afternoon All,

The topic of this thread is cigarette allowed in UA carry-on luggage. Please focus discussion around this topic.

Safe Travels,

J.Edward
UA forum co-moderator
Old Jul 6, 2016, 1:44 pm

it's no problem, when you fly back to the mainland from guam, p.r. or the usvi you are allowed 5 cartons duty free but you can only buy them post screening so it goes into carryon.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
To be clear, OP was mixing e-cig rules with CPB duty rules. The e-cig rules exist not because of their nicotine content, but because of their battery content. They must be carried in your carry-on. The CBP (and other country equivalent) rules are about bringing cigarettes into the country, not onto a plane.

In other words, you could literally fill your carry on bag to the brim with (analog) cigs and fly EWR-IAH or LHR-EWR, but in the latter case you have to pay duty for any amount you're over the duty free limit. In either case, UA doesn't care.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.