Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about gifted status

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Presidents Club,National EE, Hilton honors Gold,hyatt Plat,MP Silver
Question about gifted status

I wasn't flying much on UA but I have started traveling regularly as of the last 3 months..

I was gifted silver status. does this gifted status mean I can move from silver to gold and etc or is the status purely cosmetic and I'm really starting from zero

Thanks for the replies
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Unearned status does not move the starting line for PQMs or PQDs. You start at zero just like everyone else. But, the status is not "purely cosmetic" as for whatever duration you hold the gifted status, you get the full benefits of that status even though you didn't earn them.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Presidents Club,National EE, Hilton honors Gold,hyatt Plat,MP Silver
thanks, that's what i figured.. I hold a Chase Club card, so im covered..

guess i'll take the extra miles until I hit gold or plat on my own

only I take my flight tonight from SEA-IAD i'll clear silver on my own
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DODiraq
... I was gifted silver status. ...
Was this a corporate program or part of UA's recent promo, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...10-2016-a.html ?

Generally these status bumps are just for the rest of the year and until January 31 of the next. To retain status beyond that you will need to earn status the normal way (so starting from zero, in your words). Sometimes the corporate programs have a longer life.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How can status be gifted?

(Unsure if this is the most relevant thread.)

If an event such as a charity fundraiser is offering 'Gold / Platinum / 1K' status on UA, how are they going to deliver? The only route I'm aware of is by MM companion, but is that really acceptable in UA's view? And if that were the method to support the offer, it's strange they have each of those tiers.

It's not something I can benefit from, but it piqued my curiosity.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Can status be gifted to the same member more than once?
I currently have Gold through 1/20, but in 2/20, I will drop to nothing. Will I be able to be gifted Gold from someone that has it or do I have to wait for my status to drop to nothing before getting the gifted status? It makes a difference because I don't have much UA/Star travel for the coming year so won't go out of my way to try and get Gold again since I want to rely on getting it gifted (a colleague already offered it).
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Can status be gifted to the same member more than once? ....
How are you planning be gifted status?
Million Miller companion is the only standard way and that trackers the status of the MMer.

MMer companion stays in place until replaced by another companion and you can then later (just once a year) change it back.
The companion will have the higher of their status or that of the MMer.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
How are you planning be gifted status?
Million Miller companion is the only standard way and that trackers the status of the MMer.

MMer companion stays in place until replaced by another companion and you can then later (just once a year) change it back.
The companion will have the higher of their status or that of the MMer.
Thanks...I think he was giving it to me as either a credit card benefit he had or from Million Miler, don't remember.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:01 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777

Can status be gifted to the same member more than once?

Sure, been gifting it to my brother for years. Kind of wasted as he is not in position to travel much, and when he does, it's WestJet, because they are cheaper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.