Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO-AKL JV w/NZ, all year UA metal, 77W Nov18-Mar19, 772 Apr19-Oct19 (+newORD-AKL NZ)

Old Jul 1, 2016, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBJoel
27 March 2018
Air New Zealand service between Auckland and Chicago

From Nov. 30, 2018, Air New Zealand will operate three times weekly, year-round service with its new configuration Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft. Flight time will be approximately 15 hours northbound and just over 16 hours southbound. Air New Zealand code share service will be offered on around 100 flights across the U.S. for convenient connections to Auckland via Chicago. United Airlines operates more flights from its hub at O'Hare International Airport than any other airline, with more than 500 flights to 147 airports across the United States.

United expands service between San Francisco and Auckland

Beginning in April 2019, United will extend service between its West Coast hub in San Francisco and Auckland to year-round with three-times-weekly service. In partnership with Air New Zealand, United's flight arriving in Auckland will offer passengers more than 20 connections across the region. The return trip utilizes United's extensive route network in San Francisco, which provides connections to the United States, Canada, and Latin America. United operates more than 290 daily flights from its hub at San Francisco International Airport to 79 airports across the U.S. and 26 international destinations. Tickets for the expanded San Francisco schedule will be available on united.com and airnewzealand.com later this year.

United service between San Francisco and Auckland will operate with a Boeing 777-300ER between November and March and will operate with Boeing 777-200ER aircraft between April and October.
Originally Posted by jimyvr
UA will now fly the 77W on SFO AKL when it resumes operation 29OCT17 - 22MAR18 (from SFO). Overall frequency will be 6 weekly, and increasing to 7 weekly from mid-Dec. UA73/74 is canceled.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...as-of-01sep17/
United Airlines suspends NZ service (Suspension Period: April 18, 2017 - October 30, 2017)

Per New Zealand Herald quoting UA:

This change is in response to seasonal variations, which will also see United Airlines adding an additional three flights per week starting December 18, 2017 after resuming its daily Auckland to San Francisco services on October 31, 2017. This will increase services to a total of 10 United's flights per week during the high seasonal demand period. Passengers who have already purchased tickets during the suspended period are being contacted by the airline and offered flights on the Air New Zealand service instead. We apologise to customers for any inconvenience and advise that customers will not be out of pocket as a result of this shift in scheduling and will retain all frequent flyer benefits."
Print Wikipost

SFO-AKL JV w/NZ, all year UA metal, 77W Nov18-Mar19, 772 Apr19-Oct19 (+newORD-AKL NZ)

Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
For pax? Don't think so. For your comment about United bailing in INTL flights, yes.
my frequent travel to the Nordics isn't easy on UA...
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by thatguyoverthere
does rev share vs code share make a dif for the pax? what did i miss?
No difference​ for pax, but difference for the airlines bottom line, the share expenses and profits on these routes and is metal neutral meaning that it doesn't matter who flies the route
Old Sep 2, 2017, 2:19 am

UA will now fly the 77W on SFO AKL when it resumes operation 29OCT17 - 22MAR18 (from SFO). Overall frequency will be 6 weekly, and increasing to 7 weekly from mid-Dec. UA73/74 is cancelled.

Old Sep 2, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
UA will now fly the 77W on SFO AKL when it resumes operation 29OCT17 - 22MAR18 (from SFO). Overall frequency will be 6 weekly, and increasing to 7 weekly from mid-Dec. UA73/74 is cancelled.

Nice ride for those up front...worse for those in back. I wonder if the weakening USD drove the decision to axe the 2nd frequency.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum

Yep, just checked my res. Had a 772, then a 789, now it's a 77W.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 8:42 am

Is this likely to be a retrofitted 77W with the new Polaris hard product?
Old Sep 2, 2017, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mtftw
Is this likely to be a retrofitted 77W with the new Polaris hard product?
The 77Ws are being delivered with the new Polaris seats. No need for a retrofit.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
The 77Ws are being delivered with the new Polaris seats. No need for a retrofit.
Awesome :-) honeymoon just got even better.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by mtftw
Awesome :-) honeymoon just got even better.
I was really excited about the equipment swap until I checked my seats. Just got bumped from arguably the best seats for a couple on the 789 (6D/G) to the worst seats for a couple on the 77W (18D/G) other than just sitting by yourself.

I called UA and had to request a supervisor but eventually got 17D/G. Pretty annoyed and will probably reach out via twitter to see if I can get more help, but crazy to move someone from 6 to 18. Computers are weird. I also verified I was always on the flight that didn't get canceled (the later departure) so it isn't like I got the only available seats on a different flight.

Still really excited to get to check out the new seat! Now I just have to figure out when I'm going to get on a 789...
Old Sep 2, 2017, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName
I was really excited about the equipment swap until I checked my seats. Just got bumped from arguably the best seats for a couple on the 789 (6D/G) to the worst seats for a couple on the 77W (18D/G) other than just sitting by yourself.

I called UA and had to request a supervisor but eventually got 17D/G. Pretty annoyed and will probably reach out via twitter to see if I can get more help, but crazy to move someone from 6 to 18. Computers are weird. I also verified I was always on the flight that didn't get canceled (the later departure) so it isn't like I got the only available seats on a different flight.

Still really excited to get to check out the new seat! Now I just have to figure out when I'm going to get on a 789...
I got moved to 10 D/G - looks like those seats are angled away from each other but they are also the only two available next to one another. Can't win them all I gues.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Nice ride for those up front...worse for those in back. I wonder if the weakening USD drove the decision to axe the 2nd frequency.
I think after all the rapid expansion in the USA-NZ market, the carriers finally realized there was way too much capacity. AA converted their LAX-AKL service from year round to seasonal earlier this year. Personally, I like Air New Zealand and am happy to fly with them to NZ.

I feel like this route is probably low yielding compared to other TPAC routes, so I am wondering why this route was chosen over SFO-SYD, SFO-ICN, etc. Maybe they did it so they could maintain a higher capacity and go to 1x daily?
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
7x77W carries more than previously planned 10x789.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Woot... was in builkhead row with my non-status friend on row 16, after the aircraft swap it put us in bulkhead row 19.
Glad they maintained our seat and moved my non-status friend who is on a separate reservation with me.

But now I kinda want to upgrade and try the new polaris business class!
Old Sep 2, 2017, 2:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP

I checked I/IN availability immediately when this was posted and saw a couple dates available around thanksgiving even in9 on nov 18 sfo-akl. This morning, it had all dried up. Doubt they were actually all booked...
Old Sep 2, 2017, 3:02 pm
fg1

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
I checked I/IN availability immediately when this was posted and saw a couple dates available around thanksgiving even in9 on nov 18 sfo-akl. This morning, it had all dried up. Doubt they were actually all booked...
Out of curiosity, do you recall if there was I availability as well on 11/18 when you saw this? Have been waitlisted for I for months (booked in XN) on this flight, and have been stalking availability almost daily. On this morning's check, saw the equipment change but still no I. If any I did open briefly, then the "automatic" clearing did not happen for us...

Thanks for any info!

Last edited by fg1; Sep 2, 2017 at 3:34 pm Reason: clarity

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.