Wiki Posts
Search

Found iPad on Friday, June 24

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2016, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Found iPad on Friday, June 24

Was flying from EWR to ALB on the afternoon of Friday, June 24....switched seats to have more room and when we landed, I found an iPad in the seat pocket in front of me...thinking that I was left behind by someone who landed in EWR, I tried calling United Baggage Claim, 1k desk etc but zero help...actually was told "enjoy your new iPad"

If you know someone who lost theirs, have them contact me with the serial number of the ipad (should be in their iTunes program on their computer) and if I have it, I'll send it to them. The possible owner may have flown from IAD to EWR midday on Friday.

IF you have any other suggestions of places to list a "found" such as this, please let me know as I'd like to return it to its' owner

PS - I have tried all of the options I could find to get into the iPad, including asking Siri, however since it is locked and can't connect to the internet, nothing has worked so far - only option as it stands is to do a full restore and wipe out everything on the iPad
Old Jun 29, 2016, 1:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Why not turn this in to UA and get into their system? My guess is more would turn to UA first if they had lost something vs checking FT.

At this point I would turn it into Apple and let them handle the search. They can trace the purchaser via the serial number.

Hope you connect.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Why not turn this in to UA and get into their system? My guess is more would turn to UA first if they had lost something vs checking FT.

At this point I would turn it into Apple and let them handle the search. They can trace the purchaser via the serial number.

Hope you connect.
Isn't in Apple's interest "not" to connect these two? For the same reason why they'll never program a kill switch that would make stolen iPhones useless, thus, reselling them useless.

Because the victim (if stolen) will have to buy another one. Sadly a conversation for another forum.

Good luck to OP, thanks for putting in the effort.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately, Apple told me that they couldn't help me and United told me that there was nothing they could do as well
Old Jun 29, 2016, 1:25 pm

Return to United with flight/seat details.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Turn it in to lost and found at the airport with the pertinent info about where you got it, flights, what seat it was in, etc.

Another example of why it's a good idea to put our contact info on the screen, or taped to the back of our electronics.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dmk68
Unfortunately, Apple told me that they couldn't help me and United told me that there was nothing they could do as well

For UA -- just turn it into the airport's Lost & Found or give to any GA.

Apple says to turn it in to local police.

Another suggestion - How to find the owner of a lost or stolen iPhone
Old Jun 29, 2016, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, Hertz Pres Circle
Cooperation is needed by the owner. Have you tried to wipe the iPad? If not, do so. If the owner has activated "find my iPhone", they'll receive an alert. More information from Apple here.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Haven't tried to wipe it yet as I was saving it as a last resort - will have to give that a try

Apple says turn it into the police and all of the threads I have read say that they police don't want them and won't do anything to find the owner as they don't have the time/resources for finding the owner

You would think it would be as easy as telling United the flight and seat number and they could contact the passenger who sat in that seat and give them my contact info so they could contact me
OR
Apple could look up the serial number and pass my contact info onto the registered owner

Thanks for the tip - wasn't aware that wiping it would notify the previous owner

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 29, 2016 at 3:08 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:10 pm

...give them my contact info so they could contact me ...
Not going to happen for a variety of privacy and liability reasons.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Was flying from EWR to ALB on the afternoon of Friday, June 24....switched seats to have more room and when we landed, I found an iPad in the seat pocket in front of me...thinking that I was left behind by someone who landed in EWR, I tried calling United Baggage Claim, 1k desk etc but zero help...actually was told "enjoy your new iPad"

If you know someone who lost theirs, have them contact me with the serial number of the ipad (should be in their iTunes program on their computer) and if I have it, I'll send it to them. The possible owner may have flown from IAD to EWR midday on Friday.

IF you have any other suggestions of places to list a "found" such as this, please let me know as I'd like to return it to its' owner

PS - I have tried all of the options I could find to get into the iPad, including asking Siri, however since it is locked and can't connect to the internet, nothing has worked so far - only option as it stands is to do a full restore and wipe out everything on the iPad
Have you tried connecting it to a computer/itunes with USB? I can't recall exactly, but believe some basic device info is shown. Hopefully they person used first and last name as the device name.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA 1P
"Find My iPad" is the best thing ever - not just for locating a device but also for protecting your content if you can't get to it in time.

Spoken by someone who habitually has to run off planes to retrieve forgotten devices.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I don't have my iPad handy, but on my iPhone, there is a 'medical ID' feature, which if set up properly, can be used to access basic info.

On my phone, on the lock screen (where you type in the passcode), on the bottom right, there is a button on the bottom right that says 'emergency'. When you press it, it brings up a dialpad to dial an emergency number, and in the bottom right of that screen, in red, it says, 'Medical ID'. If set up, it lists the contact info. of parents, spouse, etc. if set up (and also other info. such as blood type, height, etc. in a true emergency).

Again, not sure if it is available on an iPad, but if so, may be worth a shot to get info. to contact family of the owner.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Forgive my slight deviance from thread.....I have twice forgotten my iPad on planes connecting in DTW and twice it was returned to me via Delta baggage claim. They tracked me down based on seat assignment. I assume cabin cleaners found it. In fairness I was an elite flyer so maybe they made extra effort. For some reason, I don't get as drunk on UA as I do on DL so I haven't forgotten it on my UA flights! 😀
Old Jun 29, 2016, 6:32 pm

Activate Siri and ask her "Who am I?" If the owner has marked a contact card as themselves, it should bring up the contact info for the person.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.