Found iPad on Friday, June 24

Old Jun 29, 16, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Bradhattan View Post
Forgive my slight deviance from thread.....I have twice forgotten my iPad on planes connecting in DTW and twice it was returned to me via Delta baggage claim. They tracked me down based on seat assignment. I assume cabin cleaners found it. In fairness I was an elite flyer so maybe they made extra effort. For some reason, I don't get as drunk on UA as I do on DL so I haven't forgotten it on my UA flights! 😀
I left an iPod (yes, I wrote that correctly...remember those...this one was before there was such a thing as iPod classic) on an NW plane as I got off in MSP. I think it was probably 2007 or so. Realized as I got to the car rental counter. Ran back to see if there was someone who could get it...explained exactly where i left it. Hoping that happened before the aircraft continued on somewhere else.

Did find someone who agreed to look...came back empty handed despite me telling them exactly where it was. Not sure if the cleaners took it, another passenger took it, that employee did. Never saw it again.

On the other hand, there was a smartphone on my seat boarding a UAX flight in F a week ago from IAD....I know this flight was very late coming in, and even an agent outside handing out vouchers for hotels to those misconnecting. Thought maybe it was the crews - gave it to the FA, who asked the pilots, but no one claimed it. Don't know what happened to it after that...hope and assume it got sent to lost and found, but who knows.
Old Jun 29, 16, 7:40 pm

hold down home button to activate siri. tell her to call home or FaceTime call home. hopefully person has their number in contacts and it will try to call
Old Jun 29, 16, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dmk68 View Post
Was flying from EWR to ALB on the afternoon of Friday, June 24....switched seats to have more room and when we landed, I found an iPad in the seat pocket in front of me...thinking that I was left behind by someone who landed in EWR, I tried calling United Baggage Claim, 1k desk etc but zero help...actually was told "enjoy your new iPad"
I am interested in knowing why you thought this was the right thing to do? Versus telling a crew member while leaving the aircraft.
Old Jun 29, 16, 8:31 pm

Send an email and the from name should reach the owner
Old Jun 29, 16, 8:36 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I use these labels on all of my stuff which might be misplaced and I'd like to have find their way back home.

https://www.mavericklabel.com/products/id-my-stuff.html
Old Jun 29, 16, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
Turn it in to lost and found at the airport with the pertinent info about where you got it, flights, what seat it was in, etc.

Another example of why it's a good idea to put our contact info on the screen, or taped to the back of our electronics.
Excellent point. Small label of some kind or whatever.
Old Jun 29, 16, 9:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
I use these labels on all of my stuff which might be misplaced and I'd like to have find their way back home.

https://www.mavericklabel.com/products/id-my-stuff.html
Those look nice. Are they pretty durable?
Old Jun 29, 16, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by dmk68 View Post
Thanks for the tip - wasn't aware that wiping it would notify the previous owner
Owner notification only occurs if that feature is activated by the owner.

Seems United's access to the flight manifest/seat info could easily facilitate the return of the device. Rather strange United wouldn't contact the customer.
Old Jun 30, 16, 12:41 am

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, La Quinta, BW
But the iPad could've been left in the seat pocket at any point during that whole day, surely multiple legs on the aircraft. Would be impossible to trace the owner that way.
Old Jun 30, 16, 12:46 am

It is amazing how hard it is to do something nice. Like to give a compliment to some person sometimes. There are no forms to do it online for most businesses.
Old Jun 30, 16, 4:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dianne47 View Post
But the iPad could've been left in the seat pocket at any point during that whole day, surely multiple legs on the aircraft. Would be impossible to trace the owner that way.
Not if the owner contacted UA and said "Hey I left my iPad on flight ###". As it is now, the OP removed any hope of that happening. If it were my iPad, I would have wanted the OP to give it to UA instead of taking it and posting on a message on an internet site.
Old Jun 30, 16, 8:07 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
Those look nice. Are they pretty durable?
Yes. They hold up well. The medium is not paper. Has a film/plastic-like feel to it.
Old Jun 30, 16, 8:42 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
I once forgot/lost an iPad on a flight. I called UA GS once I realized it on my cab ride home from the airport. It was last flight of the day, so I had hope it could be retrieved through the cleaners, lost and found at the baggage area, etc. Never got it back however.

Lesson learned: never actually put your devices in airplane mode. Makes them impossible to locate.

Check out this article regarding plane cleaner theft rings:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3528998/Confessions-airplane-cleaner-claims-theft-ring-employees-make-iPads-money-jewelry-left-planes-forgetful-passengers.html
Old Jun 30, 16, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K
This is subjective and I feel bad about saying this, but I would only turn it in to UA in certain airports. NO CHANCE I'd turn it in at EWR. THere's a very good chance it becomes the personal property of a UA employee there.

I'd be doing what OP is, trying to connect to the owner. I would not be surprised if this was a young person's iPad. Most adults, and certainly most business flying adults, have find my iPhone activated.

I left my iPad on the roof of my car while I was packing up my son's baseball equipment, and after checking with the local LL decided to find my iPhone. It was a half mile from the field, off the side of the road with the screen shattered. Little guy probably kept up for a while....
Old Jun 30, 16, 9:42 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by gold23 View Post
Little guy probably kept up for a while....
"Tough little mutt..."

I lost my iphone under a Global F seat a couple months ago. Huge fiasco of a recovery process. Flight attendants on the gorund with flash lights, a mechanic in PVG tearing the seat apart and such. A FA was trying to call my phone and was disappointed that I had my phone in airplane mode. If even the FAs aren't following the rules, it's time to stop the Airplane Mode nonsense. These lost ipads/devices would be much more recoverable then.

Search this Thread