Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Cheaper to book 2 One Ways vs. Roundtrip?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheaper to book 2 One Ways vs. Roundtrip?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2016, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by garykung
CBSA is known to be tougher that CBP. Even some measures not taken by CBP is adopted by CBSA.
Not my experience at all. CBP has virtually unlimited authority - CBSA does not. Canadian law has many more protections in place than U.S. law in this area.

Originally Posted by TomMM
Why would a OW return ticket be more risky?
There is a perception that it is, but I don't think it really is. The perception is based on the misconception that wrongdoers are either thrifty or stupid, and that's simply not the case.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
There is a perception that it is, but I don't think it really is. The perception is based on the misconception that wrongdoers are either thrifty or stupid, and that's simply not the case.
I think it used to be a flag for TSA years ago, but it hasn't been for a while.

As for border control, I know Canada can see your ticket (they've made reference to airports I started in). When I've been on one ways, worst they'll do is ask when I'm leaving or how I'm getting home, but it's never been a big deal. We're land neighbors after all, even without a ticket, one could drive or take a bus.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
No. But keep in mind:

1. IOs use various factors to determine the risk of a traveler, including, but not limited to, the traveler's nationality (per the passport used), fund availability, past travel history, criminal record, information on your landing card, pre-arrival arrangement, etc.

Return ticket is definitely a risk factor.

2. During the primary inspection, the Immigration Officer (IO) has about a minute or so to review everything and determine your admissibility. If a decision can't be made, you will be referred to secondary inspection.

3. CBSA is known to be tougher that CBP. Even some measures not taken by CBP is adopted by CBSA.

I simply choose not to risk it.
I exclusively use OW awards for my international personal travel (in J or F), and have never once been asked to provide proof of a return ticket.

I am very often asked how long I will be in country, but that is all.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by TomMM
Why would a OW return ticket be more risky?
Originally Posted by channa
I think it used to be a flag for TSA years ago, but it hasn't been for a while.

As for border control, I know Canada can see your ticket (they've made reference to airports I started in). When I've been on one ways, worst they'll do is ask when I'm leaving or how I'm getting home, but it's never been a big deal. We're land neighbors after all, even without a ticket, one could drive or take a bus.
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I exclusively use OW awards for my international personal travel (in J or F), and have never once been asked to provide proof of a return ticket.

I am very often asked how long I will be in country, but that is all.
OW tickets means you may not have a plan leaving the country, which implicates that you may do something against the law of that country.

Being asked for the duration of your stay is a definite indicator that the IO is "interested" in your trip.

Not my experience at all. CBP has virtually unlimited authority - CBSA does not. Canadian law has many more protections in place than U.S. law in this area.
I am not a friend of both agencies.

But my experience told me otherwise, while both CBP and CBSA have virtually unlimited authority, CBP does not exercise its authority to the full extent. On the other hand, CBSA will exercise its authority to the full extent.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 3:25 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The border control question is a non-issue. Just keep a copy of the return ticket receipt, and it might already be in their system anyway. I would give an outside 5% chance the OP will even be asked about it entering Canada, and showing them the return ticket will render the inspector's question moot.

POS is also a non-issue - we use different point of sale locations to issue tickets for our clients on a regular basis as it can save considerable expense, and it has no effect on their travel logistics or experience.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 5:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by findark
No, other than the obvious downside that actually using a different POS can be difficult depending on your ability to have accounts in various countries and/or go to a counter there.
i've never gone to a ticket counter. can't you just go online and change your country on the top and that changes the POS.

i've bought via AA by calling their local country number and never had an issue either.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 5:14 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
OW tickets means you may not have a plan leaving the country, which implicates that you may do something against the law of that country.
I think you watch too many bad movies. If that were true, it would take an awfully stupid criminal to book a one-way ticket, and those aren't the ones you need to worry about anyway.

CBP does not exercise its authority to the full extent.
You know very little about CBP if you believe that. Being married to an immigration attorney, I hear stories that would make you cringe.

Originally Posted by imgonnafly
can't you just go online and change your country on the top and that changes the POS.
Not on united.com. They base the POS on the credit card billing address.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by zombietooth
... and have never once been asked to provide proof of a return ticket.
I have. Multiple times, including at least twice when going to Canada from the US. I'm not a US citizen, which might make a difference.

On multiple occasions when traveling from abroad (eg, Australia) to the US I've been asked to show my return ticket at check-in when it wasn't on the same reservation - a ticket out is a requirement of entering the US under the Visa Waiver Program. Once I've been asked to show my return ticket details at US CBP (even though the return was on the same booking), which occurred after I mentioned that I was in the US for a job interview (for a job outside of the US).

For US->Canada, as recently as last year I was called to the podium before boarding to show my return details which were on a different airline (AS out, UA back). I was also asked to show my return flight details on a US->Canada flight a few years ago (again on a single ticket) when I mentioned to the Canadian immigration officer that I was coming to Canada to renew my US visa.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I think you watch too many bad movies. If that were true, it would take an awfully stupid criminal to book a one-way ticket, and those aren't the ones you need to worry about anyway.
You overthink a little bit. For example, working without proper authorization is still considered a violation of the law of any countries.

You know very little about CBP if you believe that. Being married to an immigration attorney, I hear stories that would make you cringe.
I am sure there are always extreme cases. What I mean is in general.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by imgonnafly
i've never gone to a ticket counter. can't you just go online and change your country on the top and that changes the POS.
Yes, but it will error out on purchase (or reprice?) unless your billing address is in that country.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Thanks for the insight, everyone.

As for CBSA, definitely not worried about them. Yes, they can be 'meaner' then CBP, really...I've definitely heard stories. But the chances we'll need to even talk to anyone is pretty slim....we both have Nexus, and anyway, we are both Canadian citizens (me, with dual US), so no reason why they should have a problem anyway. I also just did two one-way awards to YYZ where I didn't even book the return until 2 days after I came in on the outbound, and no issues there, either.

Taxes (HST) kind of make sense, but I don't think by that much. It is showing weirdly anyway...on the one-way ticket back, UA shows three lines "Goods and Services Tax", which is incorrectly listed anyway (should be Harmonized Sales Tax), but only totals $6.40, which I showed to be about 5.5% of the return base fare. So that doesn't even make sense in itself.

I was using the US version of UA.com when I was looking (and will pay with a US card), so either way, should be a US point of sale. But perhaps there is a difference for sales city? Part of me wants to think that, but even the outbound is showing a few $ cheaper...perhaps its UAs displaying the one-way pricing based on the round trip fare weirdly...not sure.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by findark
Yes, but it will error out on purchase (or reprice?) unless your billing address is in that country.
If you use united.com - in these circumstances, just use a different country location for an OLTA like Expedia or Orbitz to avoid this risk.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 2:45 am

Programs: Gov't Travel Aficionado, UA Plat
I’m faced with a similar conundrum but I don’t think it’s related to country of purchase. I want to go home for Thanksgiving so GUM to HNL on 05 Nov and returning on 24 Nov in business class. Purchased as a RT this is $3501, purchased separately the outbound is $1465 and the return is $1613 ($3078 total).
Regardless of RT or OW, all fare classes are P on the outbound, Z on the return.
If I shift the return to 23 Nov or 25 Nov the RT price drops down to $2840 but the one way is still $1613 for those dates, just like the 24th, fare class is still the same as well.

Any ideas what’s going on here?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by therossinator
I’m faced with a similar conundrum but I don’t think it’s related to country of purchase. I want to go home for Thanksgiving so GUM to HNL on 05 Nov and returning on 24 Nov in business class. Purchased as a RT this is $3501, purchased separately the outbound is $1465 and the return is $1613 ($3078 total).
Regardless of RT or OW, all fare classes are P on the outbound, Z on the return.
If I shift the return to 23 Nov or 25 Nov the RT price drops down to $2840 but the one way is still $1613 for those dates, just like the 24th, fare class is still the same as well.

Any ideas what’s going on here?

Fare class is not enough to answer this, you need the fare basis which is provided during purchase if you check for the fare rules. (At "Review trip itinerary" look at the bottom of the page for "View fare rules and restrictions")
There is likely a difference in penalties or some other option (stopovers. ...).
OWs will have separate cancellation / change fees for each ticket.
RTs may have a min/mix stay.
There may be day of the week differences.

And GUM has generally been treated as an "international" route and not using the same ticketing policies as a "domestic/north american" route

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 13, 2018 at 1:00 pm Reason: international vs domestic
Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
I am based in YEG so always fly to/from Canada. Trying using the "multi-city" tool, sometimes gets me the same roundtrip price that would have been more booked using the "round trip" search

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.