Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO T3 Recent TSA Wait Times?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm flying out of SFO tomorrow morning from the International terminal on united. Just got an email from United saying security wait times may be longer than normal and I should arrive at the airport earlier.

Is that true or are they bluffing and just want people there earlier?

Also, is there a priority lane for business class for security at the international terminal?

Thanks
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by jphripjah
I'm flying out of SFO tomorrow morning from the International terminal on united. Just got an email from United saying security wait times may be longer than normal and I should arrive at the airport earlier.

Is that true or are they bluffing and just want people there earlier?

Also, is there a priority lane for business class for security at the international terminal?

Thanks
I think they just send those out to all airports that have any sort of construction going on at all or if summer congestion is occurring. FYI it's June, so usually that means summer travel plans. In LAX at least, it means a lot of increased vehicle traffic which can slow entrance to the airport. I don't think there's significantly more traffic out of SFO that I would be worried, but i haven't been there in a week.

I don't recall seeing one, but I always use the pre-check one. I know there's a priority line for business class at T3 if you want to clear there and then walk over. Probably not worth it :P Just head to the international terminal.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
I think they just send those out to all airports that have any sort of construction going on at all or if summer congestion is occurring.
They send that for all airports. It's a meaningless message meant for infrequent flyers who don't know better.
findark likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Yes. You enter at the same place, and they will send you down a different lane - normally off to the left although it occasionally changes. Unfortunately post the ID check it merges into the other lines, so it can still take a while to get through...
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:31 pm

I've never had trouble with PRE in SFO. However, every time I fly through EWR, security is always a hassle. The biggest bottleneck is Terminal A (where United does regional flights), since security is divided into several disconnected concourses. There have been times where I waited over an hour in the pre-line. I can't vouch for Terminal C at EWR (where most of the transcontinental and international flights for UA take out of) but wouldn't be surprised if it was just as bad!

Keep in mind that security at US airports is a bit of a game once you've hit UA Gold, sometimes the priority security line for Gold/business customers is faster than the PreLine (happened to me once at ORD), whereas other times the Pre line is the fastest. I've also heard that some airports let you clear security from another terminal (presumably with a shorter security line) and then you just walk to the other terminal/concourse. Again, I doubt these will be an issue for you in SFO but thought I'd share some tools of the trade

Safe Travels,

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.