Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Routing Advice BKK to/from USA for UA flyers {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 19, 2022, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread

Active thread: Routing Advice BKK to/from USA for UA flyers

United (UA) To Eliminate NRT-BKK (UA837,UA838) [Now gone] UA ceased BKK service in 2014
Print Wikipost

Routing Advice BKK to/from USA for UA flyers {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:40 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee

That's a 7 hour flight.
Even in TG coach it's a long time in the back (speaking from personal experience), I'd hate to think of doing that on LCC
Old Oct 8, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Dia
GPU Strategy getting to BKK

Mods please move if there is an existing thread, I didnt find one.

My wife and I are looking to go to Thailand for two weeks in Jan 2018, I've got 6 GPUs expiring 1/31/18 and I wont requal for 1K this year. I know flying ANA requires 1 GPU per segment, but we are okay if we need to fly in economy for some portion of the trip. I'm leaning towards booking on ANA because they have more J seats on their 77W than United (according to Seatguru), but have no experience traveling on ANA or flying to Asia. We are completely flexible with our schedule in January, so just looking for advice on how to maximize our upgrade chances. We are starting in DEN.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
To upgrade on NH using GPU, first start with a qualifying fare.

Global Premier Upgrades (www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/premier/swupgrades.aspx)
"The following ANA fare classes are eligible for Global Premier Upgrades: C, D, J, Y, B, E and G."
Old Oct 8, 2017, 1:37 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
You would need a very expensive coach fare to be able to upgrade on ana. Anyways, with complete flexibility, it would be easy to get a confirmed upgrade on booking if you do sfo-nrt/hnd. For example, jan9 is r9 right now. Even den-nrt is r4 on Jan 10/11.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 1:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I typically route via HKG on separate tix (CX). TPE is also a good choice.

TYO is not so great IMO b/c that's a very long flight in Y (7 hours), and a very expensive J ticket. Also, upgradeable fares to TYO can be really expensive . . . often minimum H or Q. If you use miles for the TYO-BKK segment, the J/F award ticket is 40K/60K each way. The connections are a little uncomfortable on separate tix.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 8, 2017 at 2:52 pm Reason: cleanup after merge; thanks for the link
Old Oct 8, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Broncos Country
My wife and I are looking to go to Thailand for two weeks in Jan 2018, I've got 6 GPUs expiring 1/31/18 and I wont requal for 1K this year. I know flying ANA requires 1 GPU per segment, but we are okay if we need to fly in economy for some portion of the trip. I'm leaning towards booking on ANA because they have more J seats on their 77W than United (according to Seatguru), but have no experience traveling on ANA or flying to Asia. We are completely flexible with our schedule in January, so just looking for advice on how to maximize our upgrade chances. We are starting in DEN.
Broncos Country - You are not alone in posing this question. UA DEN-NRT upgraded with GPU, followed by NH NRT-BKK is a good option. The key is finding R availability at booking, rather than going on the WL (wait-list). Another option to consider is UA SFO-TPE upgraded with GPU, followed by TG or BR TPE-BKK (separate tix). This though requires an overnight in TPE on the return. For example choosing the date 1/10 SFO-TPE, R=6, 1/11 R=5.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
This is a much discussed topic.

Routing Advice to BKK for US UA flyers
Indeed. When flying on UA, I try to book SFO-HKG on the new 773, which has fairly good R availability, and then connect on CX or HX, all on the same ticket. I much prefer CX (I can get into their F lounges and often get upgraded to PE) but sometimes the cost is much higher, in which case I book HX. HX's 330 is fine in coach for 2.5 hours. I've done separate tickets before and it's more risky, and a few times I've missed my flight due to late arrival, so had to book a new, last minute and expensive ticket.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Indeed. When flying on UA, I try to book SFO-HKG on the new 773, which has fairly good R availability, and then connect on CX or HX, all on the same ticket. I much prefer CX (I can get into their F lounges and often get upgraded to PE) but sometimes the cost is much higher, in which case I book HX. HX's 330 is fine in coach for 2.5 hours. I've done separate tickets before and it's more risky, and a few times I've missed my flight due to late arrival, so had to book a new, last minute and expensive ticket.
I pretty much haven’t seen any R on Sfo-hkg since they switched to the 77w.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
?? got to be fast i assume i have upgraded in advance with 4 GPU's
Old Oct 8, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Dia
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Broncos Country - You are not alone in posing this question. UA DEN-NRT upgraded with GPU, followed by NH NRT-BKK is a good option. The key is finding R availability at booking, rather than going on the WL (wait-list). Another option to consider is UA SFO-TPE upgraded with GPU, followed by TG or BR TPE-BKK (separate tix). This though requires an overnight in TPE on the return. For example choosing the date 1/10 SFO-TPE, R=6, 1/11 R=5.
Thanks all! I booked to TPE with confirmed R space and got flights on Tiger Air onto BKK.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
That requires a HKG overnight most of the year.
? i had no issues flying from ORD-NYC to use CX as a connection and no overnight is needed.

However why wont UA let us do the connection on a Thai, i really dont want to fly CX and not get miles with the HKG connection?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by flybit
?? got to be fast i assume i have upgraded in advance with 4 GPU's
Looking at Tuesdays at the end of the current reservable schedule, I don't see anything in R. This upcoming Tuesday is showing J4 C3 D0. They're selling the seats.

TPAC out of SFO, Tuesday is almost always the easiest to get R availability at booking.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
It's actually about the same as before. Not an especially difficult upgrade if you have flexibility. (I've upgraded 3 segments since the 77W was put on the route, and seen R on many others.)

Originally Posted by flybit
? i had no issues flying from ORD-NYC to use CX as a connection and no overnight is needed.
I was talking about the return. BKK-HKG-SFO requires a HKG overnight most of the year if you want to fly CX BKK-HKG. Look at the schedule right now. It would be a 50 minute connection, which is not legal.

Last edited by Kacee; Oct 8, 2017 at 6:36 pm
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:56 am

Choosing award business class flight from BKK-ORD

Would you rather fly ANA BKK-HND 787Dreamliner then ANA HND-ORD 777-300ER OR BKK-VIE TG 777-300 then VIE-ORD OS 767-300?

***Sorry the flight is actually going to HND not NRT***

Last edited by IamHungry; Nov 17, 2017 at 8:44 am
Old Nov 17, 2017, 8:22 am

They're both solid options. Personally I would go the latter, as BKK-VIE would be a midnight departure or so, and a long flight, ensuring a good rest. BKK-NRT would be either a 6am departure or short redeye, being less restful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.