Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Routing Advice BKK to/from USA for UA flyers {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 19, 2022, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread

Active thread: Routing Advice BKK to/from USA for UA flyers

United (UA) To Eliminate NRT-BKK (UA837,UA838) [Now gone] UA ceased BKK service in 2014
Print Wikipost

Routing Advice BKK to/from USA for UA flyers {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Why would you not check in online with UA? You can use mobile BP at HKIA (or print BP at your hotel).
you cant check in online with UA until you have completed partner flights. I flew BKK-HKG on CX in Y with 1:10 connection in HKG to UA - that ain't ever happening again. CX refused check in for beyond HKG flights - claimed their system couldn't do it - , and we were 20 minutes late in landing. So couldn't use the app to check in as it was beyond the cutoff. luckily, UA held everyone in line waiting for CS to allow the 23 of us (yes, that's right) connecting tightly to EWR and ORD and checked us all in, beyond the cutoff. We had infant in tow running to the gate, and also were allowed boarding beyond the 30 minute gate cutoff - barely made the flight. I am now refusing to fly CX, and will either pay the extra for the NRT connection next time of fly someone else.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by emcampbe
you cant check in online with UA until you have completed partner flights.
I thought the discussion here was about connecting on separate tix??? If not, then you're right.

Last edited by Kacee; Apr 3, 2017 at 7:42 pm
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I flew an HX segment on a ticket purchased on UA. Code share with BR but UA didn't give me any miles or MQD for it.

So you may want to be careful about flying HX if you want miles and MQD credited.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I thought the discussion here was about connecting on separate tix??? If not, then you're right.
My reading of the post was it was the same ticket based on what I read in the language ("connecting" and "an itinerary"), though I suppose there wasn't really any specific indication if this is on separate tickets or not (unless I missed it somewhere). I just assumed it was on one.

So yes, if on separate tickets, certainly, you could check in with the UA site.

Originally Posted by wco81
I flew an HX segment on a ticket purchased on UA. Code share with BR but UA didn't give me any miles or MQD for it.

So you may want to be careful about flying HX if you want miles and MQD credited.
*A programs in general, AFAIK, but certainly UA specifically, credits mileage based on operating carrier only. So codeshare doesn't matter at all - HX isn't a UA partner, so you won't get credit. Not to be confused with the other 2 big alliances, which credit based on marketing carrier.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
My reading of the post was it was the same ticket based on what I read in the language ("connecting" and "an itinerary"), though I suppose there wasn't really any specific indication if this is on separate tickets or not (unless I missed it somewhere). I just assumed it was on one.
Originally Posted by wco81
I flew an HX segment on a ticket purchased on UA.
I didn't know UA would sell an HX connection. Learn something every day.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA gets along better with HX than with TG, alliance aside. Here's the AUS-BKK routing table for the cheapest published fare (an L):

Code:
PUBLISHED RTG AUS-BKK/UA502 /TAR-TPRG    EF-25MAR17 DIS-INDEF

/VIA THE PACIFIC/
MAP CONSTRUCTED LEFT TO RIGHT AND RIGHT TO LEFT
 1. AUS-CHI-DEN/HOU-DEN/LAX/SFO/SJC-LAX/SEA/SFO/SJC-HNL-HA/UA/
    WP-ITO/JHM/KOA/LIH/LNY/MKK/OGG-HA/UA/WP-HNL-OSA/TYO-NH/UA-
    OSA/TYO-NH/UA-BKK
 2. AUS-CHI-DEN/HOU-DEN/LAX/SFO/SJC-LAX/SEA/SFO/SJC-HNL-HA/UA/
    OSA/TYO-NH/UA-HKG-CX-BKK
 3. AUS-CHI-DEN/HOU-DEN/LAX/SFO/SJC-LAX/SEA/SFO/SJC-HNL-HA/UA/
    OSA/TYO-NH/UA-HKG-HX-BKK
 4. AUS-CHI-DEN/HOU-DEN/LAX/SFO/SJC-LAX/SEA/SFO/SJC-HNL-HA/UA/
    OSA/TYO-NH/UA-SEL-OZ/UA-BKK
 5. AUS-DEN/EWR/NYC/WAS-DEN/EWR/NYC/WAS-HNL-HA/UA/WP-ITO/JHM/
    KOA/LIH/LNY/MKK/OGG-HA/UA/WP-HNL-OSA/TYO-NH/UA-OSA/TYO-NH/
    UA-BKK
 6. AUS-DEN/EWR/NYC/WAS-DEN/EWR/NYC/WAS-HNL-HA/UA/WP-ITO/JHM/
    UA-HKG-CX-BKK
 7. AUS-DEN/EWR/NYC/WAS-DEN/EWR/NYC/WAS-HNL-HA/UA/WP-ITO/JHM/
    UA-HKG-HX-BKK
 8. AUS-DEN/EWR/NYC/WAS-DEN/EWR/NYC/WAS-HNL-HA/UA/WP-ITO/JHM/
    UA-SEL-OZ/UA-BKK
 9. AUS-HOU-DEN/EWR/NYC/WAS-DEN/EWR/NYC/WAS-HNL-HA/UA/WP-ITO/
    JHM/KOA/LIH/LNY/MKK/OGG-HA/UA/WP-HNL-OSA/TYO-NH/UA-OSA/
    TYO-NH/UA-BKK
10. AUS-HOU-DEN/EWR/NYC/WAS-DEN/EWR/NYC/WAS-HNL-HA/UA/WP-ITO/
    TYO-NH/UA-HKG-CX-BKK
11. AUS-HOU-DEN/EWR/NYC/WAS-DEN/EWR/NYC/WAS-HNL-HA/UA/WP-ITO/
    TYO-NH/UA-HKG-HX-BKK
12. AUS-HOU-DEN/EWR/NYC/WAS-DEN/EWR/NYC/WAS-HNL-HA/UA/WP-ITO/
    TYO-NH/UA-SEL-OZ/UA-BKK
(UA really should run a simplification algorithm against their routing tables).

Several options to route to BKK via HKG, using HX or CX flights for the final leg. None using TG.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
UA also sold my CX connection. I've had many flights on UA (and others like LH or Qantas) where I can't check-in for all segments before commencing on my journey. Not uncommon at all, even on *A. Personally I despise anything that slows me down like the transfer desk. But sometimes you don't have a choice.

One thing I love about the new UA is that I can scan my passports using the mobile app in order to complete mobile checkin. And on my last trip, I was able to scan my Chinese visa, to the same effect. That's huge for me, anything to avoid waiting in a line at the counter. Unfortunately I learned the hard way that this is not always permitted overseas. Was stopped at CTU outbound immigration earlier this year because I did not have a paper boarding pass, and had to wait 15m for a higher power to sort it out. YMMV.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 12:05 am

you cant check in online with UA until you have completed partner flights. I flew BKK-HKG on CX in Y with 1:10 connection in HKG to UA - that ain't ever happening again. CX refused check in for beyond HKG flights - claimed their system couldn't do it - , and we were 20 minutes late in landing. So couldn't use the app to check in as it was beyond the cutoff. luckily, UA held everyone in line waiting for CS to allow the 23 of us (yes, that's right) connecting tightly to EWR and ORD and checked us all in, beyond the cutoff. We had infant in tow running to the gate, and also were allowed boarding beyond the 30 minute gate cutoff - barely made the flight. I am now refusing to fly CX, and will either pay the extra for the NRT connection next time of fly someone else.
CX and UA recently updated their MCT in HKG to 2 hours because of situations like this. Also CX does not have an EDIFACT agreement with UA so yes it is true CX cannot issue boarding passes for UA.

Good job on the UA HKG staff.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 12:22 am

My two cents: Avoid CX to UA connections. Just don't do it. (I wouldn't do the HO option either, as I've heard enough stories about connecting in mainland China that i just don't want to try).

I say this having done this for the first time two weeks ago. CX from BKK to HKG, UA to EWR and onward. Connection time in HKG was just 1 hour, 5 minutes. Probably enough time to do comfortably if CX will check you in to onward flights, and the CX flight is on time. Sadly, neither of these things happened (for any of the 23 making that connection that day). Barely made the EWR flight, and only because UA allowed us to check in well beyond the official cutoff time. Normally, I would have booked this through NRT, however, on this day, it was +$400 for each of us. Figured HKG is efficient and we'd be fine. Barely.

CX in BKK seems to be able to check bags through no problem, but even with all flights on the same itin, said they absolutely can not check us in onto the UA flights. Took this to a manager, then the station manager, and all claimed their system can not do it. Got an official reply from the complaint I sent to CX, and their position, after consulting with the BKK team, is that there is no interline agreement with UA (to which I ask these geniuses how I was able to book this all on one ticket from UA directly, and how they can check the bags).

now, we had a short connection - you have an extra hour if connecting to the SFO flight. We had to run, and boarded last, maybe 10 or 15 minutes prior to departure. So also had door open longer then required - they could have easily left us there for not being at gate 30 minutes prior.

Again, up to you, but I recommend not doing this with a CX to UA connection.
I have done many short connections without onward boarding pass and was never denied boarding as long as I was at departure gate before door closing. My assumption always was that check-in cut off did not apply if you were on a single ticket and checked-in for the first flight. The airline operating connecting flight knows very well where you are coming from.

Last time I was on short connection from KE to DL in ICN without onward DL boarding pass. Not only DL already printed my boarding pass by the time I reached the gate, they upgraded me to C (the flight was overbooked in Y).

I also connected in HKG from CX to AC, AC to KE in ICN, CX to TG in BKK, SU to UA in CDG, AS to AC in YVR among other non-partner connections.

When I missed AC to KE connection in ICN due to late arriving AC flight (also without onward boarding pass) I was met at the gate by AC representative at the gate with several options. They called KE gate who refused to hold the aircraft for 10 minutes beyond scheduled departure, but I was very very well taken care of and enjoyed unplanned stopover in ICN with very nice hotel, dinner and excellent flight on Garuda Indonesia next day.

Overall my experience with non-partner connections was positive. As long as you are on a single ticket your bags will be checked through and you will be rerouted if you misocnnect.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Yes, my situation involves connection HX->UA. It is appearing regularly on my searches lately.

I am giving it a try; see how it goes. Avoids the ANA knee-crushers. A330, so should be decent width seats, and google flights indicates 32" pitch. Should be fine for a short flight.

Biggest worry is in case of irrops....
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:34 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
UA gets along better with HX than with TG, alliance aside. Here's the AUS-BKK routing table for the cheapest published fare (an L):

Several options to route to BKK via HKG, using HX or CX flights for the final leg. None using TG.
I think it's because the last TG flight departing at 20:45 is not well-timed for any of the UA arrivals into HKG
Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Why would you not check in online with UA? You can use mobile BP at HKIA (or print BP at your hotel).
Good question. I tried this last year and checked in online for a separate UA ticket departing HKG. When I entered transit security, my mobile boarding pass was not allowed. I asked why, insisting it was my boarding pass, and they said I had to go to the transfer desk to get an updated boarding pass. No idea why, it was frustrating.

However, just recently I was able to do this on separate CX and AA tickets. Landed in HKG on CX, walked the 2 km to AA's transit desk to get my boarding pass, but the desk was not staffed, so I checked in on my phone and got through security without a problem. Don't know if it was just a UA glitch or what. I did get the dreaded SSSS on the UA boarding pass though, so maybe that had something to do with it?
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 764toHI
I think it's because the last TG flight departing at 20:45 is not well-timed for any of the UA arrivals into HKG
I think it's more likely that UA and TG couldn't come to an arrangement on how to split the revenue from that flight. TG operates five flights a day between HKG and BKK; I doubt the timing of any one flight was the issue.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
UA increased the cost of that award, it's now 30K in J, 40K in F.
I still see 25k and 35k HKG-BKK in J and F using UA miles for a TG award.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by 764toHI
Originally Posted by jsloan
I think it's more likely that UA and TG couldn't come to an arrangement on how to split the revenue from that flight.
Yes, for whatever reason, UA does not have a meaningful codeshare arrangement with TG. At HKG, UA partners with CX (and now apparently HX as well), but not TG.

Same on the TYO-BKK routes, where UA codeshares with NH, but not TG (curiously, NH does codeshare with TG ex-TYO).

Originally Posted by kevino
I still see 25k and 35k HKG-BKK in J and F using UA miles for a TG award.
It does currently price that way, but if you look at the award chart, it's listed at 30k/40k.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.