Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Routing Advice BKK / Southeast Asia to/from USA for UA flyers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 19, 2022, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Routing Advice BKK / Southeast Asia to/from USA for UA flyers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2024, 12:10 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
But it seems like just yesterday that UA offered B747 service NRT-BKK, which could be upgraded all the way from USA to Thailand.

Originally Posted by ACC2008
I know a while back I used to take United (mostly from NRT) to Bangkok, now it seems like none of that exists. United has partnered with Hong Kong Air (not sure which alliance that is) and Air Japan (which I think is One World), I know there are a few options (much more costly) with Air Nippon. Well, I made a mistake of getting UA ticket which started in Bangkok using Hong Kong Air, when I tried to check-in online, I could not as they did not recognized any of the confirmation numbers provided by United (I tried them all). I called United and after spending over 90 minutes, they could not get hold of 'Customer Service' at Hong Kong Air and offered me an option to fly our of Bangkok on Thai Airways (which is their partner) for additional $1,000+.
I had to spend at least additional 30 minutes on Hong Kong Airlines counter in Bangkok as they could not find my reservations. Finally they did! Got to Hong Kong and found out there is no United lounge. ...
One must be very careful booking USA-HKG-BKK using Hong Kong Air (HX). United.com offered this routing, usually at a lower price than ANA through Tokyo, but HX is not Star Alliance, so earns no miles and offers no benefits, with limited service. Sadly ACC2008 discovered this.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 6:45 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I was off by 1 year. My guess was 2015.

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
But it seems like just yesterday that UA offered B747 service NRT-BKK, which could be upgraded all the way from USA to Thailand.
One must be very careful booking USA-HKG-BKK using Hong Kong Air (HX). United.com offered this routing, usually at a lower price than ANA through Tokyo, but HX is not Star Alliance, so earns no miles and offers no benefits, with limited service. Sadly ACC2008 discovered this.
I did it twice UA ORD-HGK then Air Hong Kong to BKK. In economy class, as a *G you had access to United lounge at HKG. I don't know if they still have that, but it was decent lounge with showers etc.

As for Air Japan, I don't think United is offering tickets with Air Japan to anywhere. The ANA/AirJapan yes, but the low low cost in house colors no.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 12:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bwiadca
I did it twice UA ORD-HGK then Air Hong Kong to BKK. In economy class, as a *G you had access to United lounge at HKG. ...
The HKG UC closed when UA ceased flying to HKG for COVID (2020) While UA has resumed flying to HKG recently, the schedule is significantly reduced and UA has shown no intention of reopening the HKG UC.
ACC2008 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I wouldn't call the HKG schedule "significantly reduced". The pre-pandemic peak was 3-4 daily flights: 2x SFO, 1x EWR, and 1x ORD. I say 3-4 because I remember UA suspending ORD right around the time the second SFO was announced/launched, but don't remember the precise timing of what happened when. We're now at 3 daily: 2x SFO and 1x LAX.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
Originally Posted by paperwastage
Bookmark this. https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-finder

Sometimes the data is slightly stale but at least it's better than nothing . You have to be departing out of the airport on a *alliance flight, to use *alliance lounge at that airport. Eg at BKK, if leaving out on HK airlines , no lounge access via *alliance gold. Contract lounges depend on other factors, not all *alliance get access to contract lounges

There are two Airjapans that fly BKK-Tokyo.

The low cost AirJapan (at the moment, any fare that United sells you for BKK-Tokyo won't be on Low-cost AirJapan, it'll be on full service AirJapan below). Economy only no business, buy up for everything (meals, baggage, seat selection )

Full service AirJapan that's basically full service ANA (earn miles, star alliance gold benefits etc, meals, some seat selection depending on fare type) - it's the equivalent of united express, ANA/UA has lower wage cost but it's full service.

Some "ANA" flights are now operated by "Air Japan", impact / options for UA flyers?
Thank you for this clarification. That was my experience at BKK. Although it is interesting to see that not too many doors down from the large Thai lounge is Hong Kong Air lounge but no entry for UA 1K's. Any how, I survived Hong Kong Air.
Thanks
Old Apr 12, 2024, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
Originally Posted by dkc192
I wouldn't call the HKG schedule "significantly reduced". The pre-pandemic peak was 3-4 daily flights: 2x SFO, 1x EWR, and 1x ORD. I say 3-4 because I remember UA suspending ORD right around the time the second SFO was announced/launched, but don't remember the precise timing of what happened when. We're now at 3 daily: 2x SFO and 1x LAX.
If so many flights then can you help us understand why the UA lounge is not open?
Old Apr 12, 2024, 12:33 pm

UA selling round trip from IAD or EWR to NRT-(ANA operated) to SGN for $1,000 in Y for dates later this year. But SGN is not a good airport...
Old Apr 19, 2024, 1:33 pm

OP here. After waiting months, finally a saver award showed up in Economy. So, I booked the flight with miles in Economy, then I called United to “purchase” a saver upgrade in Business. They put me on the waitlist and took some additional miles (not the full 100k total) since the upgrade would only be the long haul flights. I still have enough miles leftover that if a saver Business award fare shows up, I can cancel the Economy saver (with the business upgrade waitlist). If you can think of a better plan, I’m all ears. I’m planning to check every month or so and see if the Business saver award shows up.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ACC2008
If so many flights then can you help us understand why the UA lounge is not open?
The cost for operating a UC vs. payment to contract lounge. You should try to steal Kirby’s spread sheet!

It would be ideal that *A takes over the former (still closed) UC to make an *A lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.