Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Routing Advice BKK / Southeast Asia to/from USA for UA flyers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 19, 2022, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Routing Advice BKK / Southeast Asia to/from USA for UA flyers

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2023, 4:06 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
I just did this back in early December.

TPA-IAD-HND (UA Metal, award ticket. 70k miles + $11:20USD)
HND-BKK (TG/Thai Airways, cash ticket, $1,270USD, booked directly with TG)
BKK-FRA-IAD-TPP (UA Award ticket, TG on the BKK-FRA leg, UA metal FRA-TPA, 99k miles + $95.45USD).

I booked two one way awards (TPA to HND and then BKK to TPA) and did the cash ticket in between to get from Tokyo to Bangkok. I tried for days to get that booked as one award ticket and do the BKK leg as an excursionist perk, with no luck.

The other thing this enabled me to do was stay in Tokyo for a couple of nights. I arrived in Tokyo on Monday and flew to Bangkok on Wednesday (nice buffer and got to explore Tokyo a little).

Side note, I really enjoyed my TG flights. The service on those flights were amazing. The food was really good as well, and they serve it in courses (Amuse Bouche, Appetizer, Main, Desert... not all at once like we get on UA now). One of the surprising things was that the purser did a turn down service for me (they made up the bed for me).

I was also able to do an overnight at FRA and just stayed at the Marriott there. It broke up the trip home a little.
bwiadca likes this.

Last edited by jonisflying; Dec 27, 2023 at 6:42 am
Old Dec 27, 2023, 5:57 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
For those who have extra time, * A carriers often have very reasonable RT business class fares from Europe to BKK. I am currently seeing OSL-BKK RT for dates in March 2024 at $2100 on SK and $2500 on LH and LX. With more advance planning, it is often possible to find $1500-1800 RT Europe to BKK on *A. Even with the positioning flights to Europe, this can be much cheaper than trying to fly directly from the US. PQP earnings are not bad given the distance of the flights and a bonus stopover in Europe can be fun.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 7:00 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by lotemblizej
For those who have extra time, * A carriers often have very reasonable RT business class fares from Europe to BKK. I am currently seeing OSL-BKK RT for dates in March 2024 at $2100 on SK and $2500 on LH and LX. With more advance planning, it is often possible to find $1500-1800 RT Europe to BKK on *A. Even with the positioning flights to Europe, this can be much cheaper than trying to fly directly from the US. PQP earnings are not bad given the distance of the flights and a bonus stopover in Europe can be fun.
Thank you for this suggestion, and I am particularly interested! If anyone has any sample fare & routing, that would be great! Thanks
Old Dec 27, 2023, 7:27 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bwiadca
For the past week I've been searching for award flights in J from DC to Thailand for April or May 2024. All I see is Ethiopian for 88k or 110k. Sometimes I see mixed cabin; economy to Europe and J on Thai. Once I found mixed Turkish DC to IST in economy then J to Dhaka and then J on Thai to BKK. All I see for United is 650k one way via SFO and HKG. That's out of the question.
When I tried to look for economy seats IAD-Japan-BKK (my favorite connection) I could find round trip for $1400 pp. Was happy with it, I've purchased the ticket, and then I saw IAD-HND then 3 hours connection and next flight from Narita to Bangkok! WTH? Is it even possible to to make intl to intl connection with bags in 3 hours? All other paid flights on United/ANA are $4000+
I would be happy with one way (all the way) in J for 150k pp if that's possible. I can fly Turkish for $900rt and skip the return flight if there is possibility of finding return flight in J. Either BKK or HKT would work. I could also do repositioning flight within SE Asia if I there was J award seat to IAD. We could do repositioning flight to Cairo if there was a chance to get decent J seat from there to IAD (found only Ethiopian). Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated
Please help! What can I do?
Have you considered ... flying Ethiopian?

They have one of my favorite J products in *A - best Ethiopian food you can find in the sky
bwiadca likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Originally Posted by sapguy
Thank you for this suggestion, and I am particularly interested! If anyone has any sample fare & routing, that would be great! Thanks
I am seeing many dates in March 2024 where Google Flights says you can book the following routings with LH or LX for $2500-2700 RT in business: AMS-ZRH/MUC/FRA-BKK, MXP-ZRH/MUC/FRA-BKK, OSL-ZRH/MUC/FRA-BKK. I am also seeing OSL-HEL-BKK for about $1900 RT on AY (Finnair, not *A), but those fares may require extra $$$ to reserve seats, use a lounge, etc. As I mentioned above, BKK business class fares are frequently on sale below $2000 RT (e.g., in Aug 2023 LX AMS-ZRH-BKK for $1700 RT), so good to watch out for those offers.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jonisflying
I tried for days to get that booked as one award ticket and do the BKK leg as an excursionist perk, with no luck.
Tokyo to Bangkok is not eligible for the Excursionist Perk. The ExPerk must be within a single travel region, and Japan is its own region, so the only way to use the ExPerk from Tokyo is for a domestic Japanese flight. Thailand is in the South Asia region, which contains Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Laos, Macau, Malaysia, Myanmar (Burma), the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by angetenar
IAD flights to Japan will necessitate the HND to NRT transfer if you want a sensible connection. There are 2x daily HND-BKK flights by ANA, one leaving at 11:15 and one at 00:15, neither of which works well for you. The Thai flights leave at similar times. To connect to the evening NRT-BKK flight, consider taking the EWR-NRT flight which arrives at 15:30.
Yes - I did this earlier this year - DCA-EWR-NRT-BKK. Pretty sure IAD-EWR also substitutes.

Unfortunately for IAD travelers, UA's shift to HND means that Tokyo is not a good transfer point - UA determined that most travelers were O/D in Tokyo so flies to the much more convenient airport for actually staying in Tokyo.
bwiadca likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by drewguy
...UA determined that most travelers were O/D in Tokyo so flies to the much more convenient airport for actually staying in Tokyo.
This. Using/booking through UA one needs to get quite creative to make travel via HND work.

Have a trip to BKK planned for 2 passengers in February 2024 which consists of:

1) Going, booked in April 2023
99k miles each, AVP - EWR (UA First) - VIE (OS Business) - ZRH (LX Business) - BKK (TG Business).
This was changed by United a few times, but seems to have now settled to:
AVP - EWR (UA First) - ZRH (UA Business) - BKK (TG Business).

2) Coming back, booked recently
Economy fare for U$884 + MUA 30k miles + $500 each, waitlisted for UA segment: BKK - HND (NH economy V) - EWR (UA waitlisted for J, now in PE)

Not a bad deal overall. Tried to get something other than an HND connection coming back, but it's about the best option available.
bwiadca likes this.

Last edited by narvik; Dec 27, 2023 at 11:33 am
Old Dec 27, 2023, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Have you considered ... flying Ethiopian?

They have one of my favorite J products in *A - best Ethiopian food you can find in the sky
I have looked at this several times, but always seems to involve a very lengthy layover in Ethiopia, which I wouldn't necessarily mind, except I am usually time limited and need to get to BKK quickly.

On a general note, I have had good luck with using one way award to get to BKK, and then purchase a One Way business class fare to return. Have done Qatar, Ethiad, and EVA so far, all at very reasonable prices.
And each of them a far better experience than United metal.
Kacee likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 1:58 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Lots of good suggestions. I was playing with the west coast departures and there seems to be tons of Singapore, Asiana, Eva Air and ANA reward space available.
When I try to force DC to west coast flights I get hit with extra 70k miles (for myself and my wife). That kills the deal.

Originally Posted by ani90
Consider looking outside Star Alliance if paying cash is an option - may give you better value than the mile awards. Qatar and Emirates are very competitive on this route, often much cheaper than UA, and will give better value than almost any Star alliance carrier.
I've looked at the other airlines, but I'd rather stay with *A. Did it last year and it was no fun with lengthy layovers without a lounge. This time around as a last resort I would probably book cash fare with Turkish for $900. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to spend 10 hours in the lounge at IST. (That's the biggest thing right now, 10 hours connection if I take Turkish).

Originally Posted by jonisflying
I just did this back in early December.

TPA-IAD-HND (UA Metal, award ticket. 70k miles + $11:20USD)
HND-BKK (TG/Thai Airways, cash ticket, $1,270USD, booked directly with TG)
BKK-FRA-IAD-TPP (UA Award ticket, TG on the BKK-FRA leg, UA metal FRA-TPA, 99k miles + $95.45USD).

I booked two one way awards (TPA to HND and then BKK to TPA) and did the cash ticket in between to get from Tokyo to Bangkok. I tried for days to get that booked as one award ticket and do the BKK leg as an excursionist perk, with no luck.

The other thing this enabled me to do was stay in Tokyo for a couple of nights. I arrived in Tokyo on Monday and flew to Bangkok on Wednesday (nice buffer and got to explore Tokyo a little).

I was also able to do an overnight at FRA and just stayed at the Marriott there. It broke up the trip home a little.
That was the original plan, but the stay for few days in Tokyo on the way back. For some reason even regular tickets are so expensive ex BKK to Japan. It probably has something to do with the sakura season.

I found J seats BKK-India (forgot Dheli or Mumbai)-Cairo -- 2 days at Cairo (my wife would love it) - Cairo - Ethiopia - Togo - IAD all in J.
Again, the Ethiopian legs are strange. CAI-ADD shows 788 and connection to Lome, but it shows 0 ground time in Addis but the times show 2 hours between arrival and departure and next leg on 789, then 0 ground time in Lome but the departure is 1 hour later.

Also I found CAI to Athens on Aegean in J and then UA in Polaris to IAD but it's not lining up with the Cairo arrival from Thailand Always something

Back to the drawing board. Again, you guys gave me lots of good suggestions and ideas. Thanks
jonisflying likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by bwiadca
Again, the Ethiopian legs are strange. CAI-ADD shows 788 and connection to Lome, but it shows 0 ground time in Addis but the times show 2 hours between arrival and departure and next leg on 789, then 0 ground time in Lome but the departure is 1 hour later.
CAI-ADD is non-stop AFAIK; the stop at Lomé is a tech stop (refuel) when flying to/from USA from/to ADD.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 6:24 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Booked my flights Did a lot of searching. Found Mumbai - CAI - FRA - IAD in J for 120k then paid ticket on Thai in J from BKK to Mumbai for $400. That was another option.
Few minutes ago I found all J from BKK to FRA with Thai FRA - ZRH - IAD on Swiss in J for 110k. Never flown Swiss in J so that's going to be first for me.
I had to be flexible with the dates. Moved the trip by 1 week later and found it. On the way to Thailand I took TK in economy with 10 hours in IST for $800pp. Very happy with the outcome.
Thanks again for very helpful tips!
goodeats21, narvik and jonisflying like this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 6:29 am

Award travel to BKK

I just tried to book award travel in business to BKK for Nov 2024. I booked the same flight in Feb 2023 ten months in advance and paid 378,000 miles for 2 seats. United is now asking 1,200,000 miles for 2 seats for the same flight. What in the world is going on??!! Is this the new United dynamic award pricing?? Should I ditch United for another airline for my loyalty? I use the United Explorer card personally and the United Club card for my business and my singular goal is to snag business seats to Asia. If I can’t get that, I may cancel both cards and look for another airline for my loyalty. Ideas? Thoughts?
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 6:36 am

You can still get good deals. I just canceled two one-way Business class tickets to BKK (via ZRH) for 99'000 miles each.
United747 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Lots of last-minute tickets for 99K in business - TG releases a lot of space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.