Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

American's June 6th Program Details Spell Another Round of Cuts for MP?

American's June 6th Program Details Spell Another Round of Cuts for MP?

Old Jun 8, 2016, 5:32 am

Programs: UA GS MM, HHonors Silver, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, AA, DL
Based in Ecuador

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Don't know about all the additional AA changes that are beyond UA/DLs being matched - maybe, maybe not. But in terms of the comp upgrades, AA has always only given these to their top tier, with lower status being able to buy stickers to use (maybe lower levels get a very limited amount as part of the elite package - honestly, not super familiar with the AA elite details). So I doubt competitors will match that since they haven't after all these years.

We'll see about no CC spend waiver - I hope not - this allowed me to book an end of year India trip on SQ lost year - which I probably would have booked on UA (it was the same price, on both, but wanted to try SQ TPAC and spend a few hours in SG). Not sure what I am doing for that trip this year, but want to try for a stopover somewhere in Asia, which would make it hard to book with UA as the price goes way up with an intra-Asia segment on a partner involved.

As for the outside US folks and the waiver - I still think that makes sense to have for a US-based carrier if they want to keep foreign-based folks who really can not fly UA (or other US carrier) everywhere like you can if you were US-based. After all, if you have someone who is, say, ex-EU who typically flies to places other than the US, say splits their flying with trips to the US, intra-EU and to Asia, and UA had the PQD requirements for them, there is no incentive for them to stay with UA - probably much easier to go to LH, BA, etc. where they can consolidate their flying and benefits. I bet UA would lose much of that TATL traffic, and I bet if AA requires their PQD for international folks, many of their ex-EU pax will move to BA, and from other places to a more convenient OW (or other) carrier in their region. It might make more sense to selectively choose strategic international locations to add PQD - for example, to Canada and Mexico.

Just some of my thoughts.
The no PQD requirement is key for me. Almost all of my flying on UA is long haul international which is usually cheaper per mile in ticket pricing but also cheaper per mile for UA costs. If it were not for the waiver, I would not have the same reasons to use UA as much as I do.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 5:45 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Ecuacoflyer
The no PQD requirement is key for me. Almost all of my flying on UA is long haul international which is usually cheaper per mile in ticket pricing but also cheaper per mile for UA costs. If it were not for the waiver, I would not have the same reasons to use UA as much as I do.

Same here. Because I travel a lot in Europe it's hard to get those tickets on UA stock, but my TATL is often on UA. I like continuing to credit to UA for MM and hoarding my miles there.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
All of this expected, I have been using AA as secondary carrier to UAL this year and life on the road sadly is hit and miss for all airlines

bottom line - poor

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.