Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Polaris - Business Class seats -- hard product comments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 2, 2016, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As there are multi-threads on inflight service and meals, will re-focus this thread on the hard product, the seats (and things related to the seat -- pillows, pads, blankets, ...)

United website - Explore: http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris-business-class/p/1
from UA's Facebook stream
Only customers traveling in United Polaris business class or United Polaris Global First on international flights and customers in Star Alliance international first or business class cabins on flights longer than six hours will have access to the United Polaris Lounge.
Official Polaris Lounge Access Rules are here: Polaris Lounge Access Rules

United Polaris Business and Polaris First pax may access the Polaris lounge at connecting airports and their final destination within 24 hours of departure or arrival.

*A international J and F pax may only access the Polaris lounge at the departure airport. For purposes of Polaris lounge access, Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, and Guam are excluded from the definition of "international."

Seat Chart.

Press release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300278706.html

NEW YORK, June 2, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With the aspiration of making weary business travel a relic of the past, United Airlines today unveiled its all-new United Polaris business class, the airline's most significant product transformation in more than a decade, featuring a reimagined, sleep-enhancing, departure-to-landing experience for intercontinental travelers.

Named after the North Star, United Polaris is the shining new star of business class travel that flyers can turn to for a tranquil and restful journey.

"United Polaris will change the game in international business travel with an exceptional level of relaxation and comfort throughout our customers' journeys," said Oscar Munoz, president and CEO of United. "This completely reconceived experience exemplifies the new spirit of United and the innovation, excitement and operational momentum across our airline."

Path-Breaking Design

In setting out to create a transformative business class experience, United chose to outfit its widebody fleet with a custom-designed, exclusive-to-United seat, rather than select an option already in the marketplace. Designed in partnership with Acumen Design Associates and PriestmanGoode and manufactured by Zodiac Seats United Kingdom, each United Polaris seat will offer direct access to the aisle, 180-degree flat-bed recline and up to 6 foot 6 inches of bed space.

Crafted as individual, forward-facing, suite-like pods, each customer's personal suite will feature a "Do Not Disturb" sign, mood lighting, one-touch lumbar support, several storage areas, multiple surfaces for simultaneous working and dining, a 16-inch high-definition entertainment screen and, for seats in the center of the cabin, electronic privacy dividers. Complementing the new seats, United and PriestmanGoode have also conceived an all-new look for the United Polaris cabins.

In rethinking the international business class experience, United conducted more than 12,000 hours of research, and sleep emerged as the single most important priority for international business class travelers. United Polaris' path-breaking design and sleep-enhancing focus was inspired and informed by insights from hundreds of customers and employees, inflight product simulations and more than 100 product evaluations.

Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours**. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.

Elevated Dining Experience

Upon boarding their flight, each United Polaris customer will be welcomed with a pre-departure beverage of his or her choice and gourmet chocolate. While in the air, customers will enjoy regionally influenced in-flight menus updated seasonally, developed in partnership with The Trotter Project and its critically recognized chefs, including Bill Kim of acclaimed Chicago restaurants Urbanbelly, bellyQ and Belly Shack.

The airline will offer an upgraded wine experience, with the highest-quality options curated exclusively by United's Master Sommelier. Inflight service will also include made-to-order signature ice cream sundaes, a dessert cart with a variety of petit dessert options, chocolate truffles and wine flights. On daytime flights longer than eight hours and on all flights longer than 12 hours, hot mid-flight snacks such as lobster macaroni and cheese will be available.

Raising The Bar With United Polaris Business Class Lounges

United will also open an exclusive portfolio of United Polaris business class lounges in nine locations around the world – the only lounge of its kind offered by a U.S. airline to business class customers – that will feature custom-designed chairs, private daybeds, spa-like showers and chef-inspired hot meals served in a boutique restaurant setting so customers can refresh and dine before boarding their planes. Premium sparkling wines and spirits, refreshing snacks and bottled water will also be offered.

The first new United Polaris lounge will open at Chicago O'Hare International Airport on Dec. 1, 2016. Lounges in eight other locations – Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, New York/Newark, Washington Dulles, Tokyo Narita, Hong Kong and London Heathrow – will follow in 2017.

United Polaris Introduction

United will begin to introduce United Polaris on Dec. 1, 2016, with the new inflight food and beverage experience, new custom bedding from Saks Fifth Avenue, new amenity kits and the new United Polaris lounge in Chicago. The United Polaris business class seat will first take flight in December on Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and subsequently on Boeing 787-10 and Airbus A350-1000 aircraft, as well as on Boeing 767-300 and 777-200 retrofits.

United Polaris will serve business class customers flying the U.S. airline industry's most global route network, reaching more than 330 destinations in more than 50 countries.

More information on the United Polaris business class can be found at united.com/Polaris.

[From [email][email protected] 11/15/2016]
Starting December 1, 2016, United Polaris Business Class service will replace United BusinessFirst service on international flights, and United Polaris Global First service will replace the current United Global First service.

Between 2017 to 2019 eight additional United Polaris lounges will open at EWR, HKG, IAD, IAH, LAX, LHR, NRT and SFO. We do not have the exact opening dates at this time. A scheduling announcement will be forthcoming.
** Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Archive - United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}
Print Wikipost

United Polaris - Business Class seats -- hard product comments

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:29 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
While I know these boards can be prone to hyperbole, I am on one of the worst Polaris flights, for me, to date.

UA862 HKG->SFO

Delayed 90 mins due to a mechanical delay which turned into a “because of weather over Japan” delay.

No champagne boarded... only a terrible B&G “sparkling wine”.

Purser was surprised as well, so offered me a wine... they only had really terrible Spanish ones (and this is not me being snobby - I love a good Spanish wine, but these were bottom of the barrel ones).

Also, no wine menu. I saw an FA carry multiple bottles to another passenger to show her what was available (she complained as well about the quality of the wines offered).

No Spider-man amenity kits. (And i get that this was a marketing stunt, but then market it as such... say “for the month of June” or “for flights prior to the premiere”... don’t market it as a value add and then not have it.)

Asked for mattress pad... never received it.

Internet did not work for first 3 hours of the flight.

Had a long chat with the purser who acknowledged Polaris has fallen far from the initial promise. I know he’s not responsible, but i do wish management would listen to those on the ground and interfacing with customers to understand how bad the cutbacks have impacted service and satisfaction.

He asked me to write into to 1K voice to express my displeasure... which is a sad state of affairs. Your employees should not have to tell your customers to complain about the service.

Also as pt of comparison, I flew Thai biz x2 on this trip and on short 2-2:30 flights I had unlimited Veuve Clicquot and one of the most amazing inflight meals (a Thai chicken dish) that could have been served at a high end Thai restaurant to raves.

This flight alone has proven to me it’s not worth trying to maintain 1K. I’ll just use my $15k and pay for biz on better carriers, and still come out ahead.

Last edited by FoxFlyer; Jul 8, 2019 at 2:10 am
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:06 am

Programs: UA GS
New one for me today: no menus at all on FRA-EWR. FA simply read off the choices.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by villox
New one for me today: no menus at all on FRA-EWR. FA simply read off the choices.
Wow, that is indeed a new low.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FoxFlyer
Internet did not work for first 3 hours of the flight.
Probably because you were in Chinese airspace.
Originally Posted by FoxFlyer
Also as pt of comparison, I flew Thai biz x2 on this trip and on short 2-2:30 flights I had unlimited Veuve Clicquot and one of the most amazing inflight meals (a Thai chicken dish) that could have been served at a high end Thai restaurant to raves.
Similarly, I had an amazing prawn green curry on TG BKK-HKT last week - and that's only a 1:15 flight. But TG is otherwise something of a disaster in multiple respects.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:23 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by halls120
Wow, that is indeed a new low.
She did acknowledge that we were going with a “verbal menu” today because they didn’t board any printed menus. She also had “run out” of two of the four the choices by the time she got to me (I was in 5L - she did the left aisle first then the right), but I had already had both of them previously so was looking to try something new. She said she might be able to manage the other options (cause I’m GS?), but I would prefer they just ask everyone for first and second choices.

She (the Purser) did also remember me from the same flight 11 days ago and the crew seems otherwise good. Even got the rare refill on the PDB.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by villox

She did acknowledge that we were going with a “verbal menu” today because they didn’t board any printed menus. She also had “run out” of two of the four the choices by the time she got to me (I was in 5L - she did the left aisle first then the right), but I had already had both of them previously so was looking to try something new. She said she might be able to manage the other options (cause I’m GS?), but I would prefer they just ask everyone for first and second choices.

She (the Purser) did also remember me from the same flight 11 days ago and the crew seems otherwise good. Even got the rare refill on the PDB.
It sounds like traveling in economy. Yikes!
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Probably because you were in Chinese airspace.
I never buy internet on the return flight because my goal is to catch up on Zzzs, but on my SFO-PVG legs I will buy internet 2/3 of the time to get some work done. I usually get internet right through landing. We were probably 5 min from touchdown today and I was still refreshing my email with no problems. Not sure how serious they are with cutting off internet in Chinese airspace, but I'm guessing there's some leeway. Maybe a more inland flight like CTU will definitely get cutoff whereas coastal flights are not a huge issue.

Also IIRC HKG-SFO flies down the Taiwan Strait and avoids Chinese airspace pretty much... at least that's what happened my last trip I think.

Finally when did they change the pajamas? In April I noticed the sizing to be more consistent with what I'd expect of a small/medium rather than a giant garbage bag that I got in December. But this time around I got the light gray shirt with POLARIS printed across the chest. I noticed the pants no longer have pockets. As cheap as these PJs are though my set from December is still being worn at home although I stopped wearing them in June with the hotter weather and switching to my shorts instead.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dmo580
Not sure how serious they are with cutting off internet in Chinese airspace, but I'm guessing there's some leeway. Maybe a more inland flight like CTU will definitely get cutoff whereas coastal flights are not a huge issue.
IME internet is frequently spotty once you get anywhere near China.
Originally Posted by dmo580
Also IIRC HKG-SFO flies down the Taiwan Strait and avoids Chinese airspace pretty much... at least that's what happened my last trip I think.
There is no fixed route, it depends on jetstream and other considerations. For example, check out flight path on Saturday, July 6. UAL862
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I for one think the ability to sleep on a lie flat seat is more important (and just gave feedback about my disappointment of the crew talking loudly in the front of the cabin on a recent SYD-SFO and waking me and fellow pax). This is why I like Polaris - obviously we pax are an assorted bunch with different priorities. So the seat and the FA service is my highest priority and for the most part Polaris delivers.

The report of the Polris seat with crumbs and not having been cleaned is of more concern to me than the food/wine issues. I always ask for the mattress pad (not sure why they do not automatically give these out) and use a wet wipe to wipe down the flat services - now providing a couple of those as we pre-board would be a nice enhancement.

With more Polaris lounges opening I choose to have a nice meal in the lounge and often eat only the salad and sometimes a main meal. I do not like the breakfast options and will often ask for the hot midflight snack as the arrival meal or else head to the lounge on arrival for breakfast after red eyes. I generally only have one glass of wine with a meal and ask to see the labels - most of the FAs have no idea about the different red varieties but I know what I like.

I think United thinks it is more important to get the food right in the Polaris lounges which is fine by me - it is only an issue if you have an upgrade to Polaris that happens at the gate. However, both SFO and IAH have great food and wine options at the Centurion lounges (and looking forward to the LAX Centurion lounge).
I often find the Polaris seat crevices are jammed with crumbs, food debris, hair, etc - it's beyond disgusting and the cleaning contractors are obviously not being managed properly with no QA checks by a United employee prior to boarding - you would think their "premium" product would be inspected and verified before every single flight - are the cabin and seats clean? Are clean, undamaged menus and wine lists boarded? Clean bedding? Catering has been verified? etc etc

The lack of QA simply means United doesn't care and the ongoing issues with spotty service just show the crews have no pride in their jobs, their company and the company has no interest in defining service standards and enforcing them.

I carry multiple packs of Lysol wipes with me for all flights - everything gets wiped down from the head rest, arm rests, tables and shelving, window shades, air vents, AVOD control, etc. and the entire inside of the bed shell area, so basically I am doing the cleaning vendor's job for them. I know where the mattress pads are stored in the overheads, so instead of wasting my time asking a FA 10x to bring me one, I just get them myself. The entire product is such a dismal failure in comparison to my experiences in business on Delta, Air Canada, ANA, and Asiana.

I guess when you're giving away most of the seats to your corporate accounts for 60-80% off published, why even bother making the product appealing for the few customers who pay retail prices?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
... I guess when you're giving away most of the seats to your corporate accounts for 60-80% off published, ....
Do you mean "60-80% of published", which is 40%-20% off.

And believe this statement has been debunked a few times, in that those 20-40% discounts are only off the full fare prices and the discounts are much, much less off (5-10%) of normal published prices.
What those discounts do is protect certain top tier corporate customers from the last minute price increases when only J or maybe C is available.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Do you mean "60-80% of published", which is 40%-20% off.

And believe this statement has been debunked a few times, in that those 20-40% discounts are only off the full fare prices and the discounts are much, much less off (5-10%) of normal published prices.
What those discounts do is protect certain top tier corporate customers from the last minute price increases when only J or maybe C is available.
60-80% OFF not OF - full fare.

They are certainly being offered more than a 5-10% - even my agency is able to offer 25% off full fare on various airlines in business and first and we do no where near the volume in Polaris that Apple buys from United.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
60-80% OFF not OF - full fare. ...
I find 80% off as corporate discount hard to believe (off of lowest available fares) and not consistent with other reports.

They are certainly being offered more than a 5-10% ...
I was referring to an additional corporate discount on published discount business fares and the higher 20-40% off full fares with is consistent with your experience and many reports on FT.

And while Apple is likely the big gorilla in the UA house, "the most" in
... I guess when you're giving away most of the seats to your corporate accounts for 60-80% off published, ....
are likely below the Apple discounts

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 8, 2019 at 12:52 pm Reason: Apple
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I think where the wires get crossed is that people think "60 to 80 percent off" means that discount from P fares, so that corporate customers are paying some ludicrously small rate - this is not the case. The contracts have different discounts for different fares and it's only the expensive fares that get that kind of discount, often with inventory restrictions. For example, in a past job (I'd guess a little less than $10MM spend with UA but I don't know the exact figure), on a particular route the negotiated discount was 65% off... but that was 65% off of full-fare J (JXR1), and the private fare required Z inventory. The P fares on the same route were maybe 2-5% off; it was small enough I don't even remember. But what the big discount meant was that we could fly one-way refundable tickets at a reasonable price (still almost $4,000 one-way for a long-haul flight), with no advance purchase requirement on flights that weren't fully booked. For a corporate customer this can be a massive benefit, even while still giving the airline a fair deal.
Kacee and bluedemon211 like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by findark
.... The P fares on the same route were maybe 2-5% off; it was small enough I don't even remember. But what the big discount meant was that we could fly one-way refundable tickets at a reasonable price (still almost $4,000 one-way for a long-haul flight), with no advance purchase requirement on flights that weren't fully booked. For a corporate customer, this can be a massive benefit, even while still giving the airline a fair deal.
Thank for the additional color, I was struggling for a way to express that most of this corporate discount is fare rule flexibility -- such as your example, the Z private fare (when there are also published Z fares ) with J fare rules. The actual price differential is no where near 60-80% but the more flexible fare rules are where a big part of the value is for the major customer.
wxguy and findark like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
UA1 on the 6th, no slippers loaded. I asked FA quietly and just before pushback she discreetly handed me one. No midflight snack cart until 6-7 hours before landing. Pretzels, chips, gummies, 2-3 leftover cheese plates. Pretty grim. A few apples I think also.

if people don’t ask firmly for advertised benefits Kirby will see the reduced numbers and take them away. He may anyway

The food sucked too. And I hate how they serve the pre landing meal with just 55-60 min to go and hover around rushing you to scarf it down, while the plane at that point is likely going through some bumps. Start 75-90 min before landing, especially on a 15-16 hour flight. Let me take my time, have a refill of (Thankfully quite good) coffee.

At this point the Saks comforter, Illy, and a mattress pad (if you are lucky) is all there is to say positive. I got the dark PJs though. That soon will be gone.
porciuscato likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.