FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United Polaris - Business Class seats -- hard product comments (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1769733-united-polaris-business-class-seats-hard-product-comments.html)

WineCountryUA Jun 2, 2016 8:14 am

United Polaris - Business Class seats -- hard product comments

With Polaris becoming live, it seems time to create a few separate threads

cesco.g Jun 3, 2019 8:38 pm

United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service -- 3+ years after Intro

Just hit the 3 year mark since the Polaris announcement and still quite a ways to go to full implementation.

While I am quite pleased with the hard product, the soft product has seen significant downgrades since announcement and is quite disappointing compared to what was presented at the rollout.

Wondering if UA will be there at the 5 year mark or a doubling to 6 years will be required.

hirohito888 Jun 3, 2019 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by dingo (Post 31167951)
I am curious about:
1. The lounge in EWR- is it just a fancy lounge, or is there some special Polaris flavor of the lounge? If so, what is that special flavor?
2. In the air, what is to be expected? I think one needs to ask for bedding...true? There i no pre-order of meals...true? Anything else?
3. On arrival in AMS - there is no arrivals lounge for showering; true?
4. On departure in BRU - is there just the regular old *A lounge or are there options?
5. On arrival back in EWR, I believe we can get to the Polaris / UA lounge...True?

1) You will have access to Polaris lounge in EWR, it's like the AA Flagship lounge but with a la carte dining.
2) Correct, you can ask for mattress pad and no pre-order of meals.
3) Correct, no arrivals lounge in AMS.
4) You will have access to SN lounge either Schengen (The Loft) or non-Schengen (The Suite), both are regular *A lounges. Even though your BRU-EWR departs from non-Schengen gates, I suggest you spend more time at The Loft which is slightly nicer and less crowded than The Suite. But leave enough time to go through immigration and US security interview.
5) Correct, you have access to EWR Polaris lounge on your way back.

Also EWR-AMS is likely to be the old lie-flat seat, while BRU-EWR you will get the new Polaris seat.

greenpau Jun 3, 2019 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by FlytheTail (Post 31044044)
The flight attendants must have been 40+ year veterans, yet the purser struggled to read the standard announcements after departure and before landing. How is that possible?

They've just changed the announcement scripts again - the overall pieces are the same but the specific narrative has switched. They’re required to read it verbatim.

Ouch on the 40+ piece! ... many of them still give outstanding service and have made for memorable flights. Lately for me it’s the junior reserves giving bare-minimum service and disappearing to the aft Galley. There’s always a few bad individuals out there, regardless of their tenure.

1kBill Jun 3, 2019 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by hirohito888 (Post 31168010)
1) You will have access to Polaris lounge in EWR, it's like the AA Flagship lounge but with a la carte dining.

The menu in the lounge dining room will be limited compared to a regular full service restaurant, but it's likely you and your family will find at least some options that are acceptable and satisfying. Frankly, United's food on board will generally range from meh to okay, once in a while good. You might consider eating your main meal in the dining room so you can sleep more on the relatively short trans-Atlantic flight.

StuckinITH Jun 4, 2019 5:14 am

Originally Posted by 1kBill (Post 31168254)
The menu in the lounge dining room will be limited compared to a regular full service restaurant, but it's likely you and your family will find at least some options that are acceptable and satisfying. Frankly, United's food on board will generally range from meh to okay, once in a while good. You might consider eating your main meal in the dining room so you can sleep more on the relatively short trans-Atlantic flight.

Especially important since OP stated: "no status with United". Most likely they might not get their first choices on the plane of the "meh" food.

Kmxu Jun 4, 2019 5:59 am

Originally Posted by greenpau (Post 31168244)

They've just changed the announcement scripts again - the overall pieces are the same but the specific narrative has switched. They’re required to read it verbatim.

On SFO-PVG flight a few weeks ago, the purser said that there was free direct-TV with 140 channels on the flight. We were on a B789, not B738/9, to Shanghai. She did not correct herself later. :(

Kacee Jun 4, 2019 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu (Post 31168771)
On SFO-PVG flight a few weeks ago, the purser said that there was free direct-TV with 140 channels on the flight. We were on a B789, not B738/9, to Shanghai. She did not correct herself later. :(

Mixed crews in action.

fezzington Jun 4, 2019 9:55 am

Originally Posted by FlytheTail (Post 31044044)
The flight attendants must have been 40+ year veterans, yet the purser struggled to read the standard announcements after departure and before landing. How is that possible?

Announcements were changed very recently. The new announcements do not flow well when speaking, no matter how many times I've read through them.

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31169058)
Mixed crews in action.

Nothing to do with mixed crews.

Announcements changed with little input from FAs, and plenty of input from other workgroups. Then they were pushed to FA Link devices and a bulletin went out to ensure that everyone uses the new announcements, so FAs have been reading them verbatim from the manual, even if they do not fit (just like this case). A second bulletin went out very recently to use the new announcements "as appropriate"

manstein58 Jun 4, 2019 10:24 am

Originally Posted by cesco.g (Post 31167972)
Just hit the 3 year mark since the Polaris announcement and still quite a ways to go to full implementation.

While I am quite pleased with the hard product, the soft product has seen significant downgrades since announcement and is quite disappointing compared to what was presented at the rollout.

Wondering if UA will be there at the 5 year mark or a doubling to 6 years will be required.

Fair assessment. The soft product has been going downhill since inception and now can best be
described as cheap

bocastephen Jun 4, 2019 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu (Post 31168771)

FREE DirecTV with 140 channels? Sounds like she has been moonlighting at jetBlue.

goodeats21 Jun 4, 2019 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by fezzington (Post 31169555)
Announcements were changed very recently. The new announcements do not flow well when speaking, no matter how many times I've read through them.

Announcements changed with little input from FAs, and plenty of input from other workgroups. Then they were pushed to FA Link devices and a bulletin went out to ensure that everyone uses the new announcements, so FAs have been reading them verbatim from the manual, even if they do not fit (just like this case). A second bulletin went out very recently to use the new announcements "as appropriate"

Interesting. I thought they recently had a push to allow more "personality" in the announcements. Are they walking that back?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...rsonality.html

fezzington Jun 4, 2019 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post 31170835)
Interesting. I thought they recently had a push to allow more "personality" in the announcements. Are they walking that back?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...rsonality.html

Same set of announcements.

You can't force a single "voice personality" across an airline -- the diction and cadence of speech are not the same for the two FAs sitting beside one another on a jumpseat.

Kacee Jun 4, 2019 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by fezzington (Post 31169555)

That's not what I was referring to. I was referencing an FA who made the DirecTV announcement on SFO-PVG. Pretty sure that was not an sUA veteran ;)

goodeats21 Jun 4, 2019 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by fezzington (Post 31171066)
Same set of announcements.

You can't force a single "voice personality" across an airline -- the diction and cadence of speech are not the same for the two FAs sitting beside one another on a jumpseat.

Ah, maybe I misunderstood that program then. I thought they were giving license to ad-lib...which seems to be what I am hearing in the field a bit.
But maybe that is other than safety announcements....some FAs tend to drone on a bit