Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2020, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread -- Active thread is United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service -- 3+ years after Intro

United website - Explore: http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris-business-class/p/1
from UA's Facebook stream
Only customers traveling in United Polaris business class or United Polaris Global First on international flights and customers in Star Alliance international first or business class cabins on flights longer than six hours will have access to the United Polaris Lounge.
Official Polaris Lounge Access Rules are here: Polaris Lounge Access Rules

United Polaris Business and Polaris First pax may access the Polaris lounge at connecting airports and their final destination within 24 hours of departure or arrival.

*A international J and F pax may only access the Polaris lounge at the departure airport. For purposes of Polaris lounge access, Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, and Guam are excluded from the definition of "international."

Seat Chart.

Press release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300278706.html

NEW YORK, June 2, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With the aspiration of making weary business travel a relic of the past, United Airlines today unveiled its all-new United Polaris business class, the airline's most significant product transformation in more than a decade, featuring a reimagined, sleep-enhancing, departure-to-landing experience for intercontinental travelers.

Named after the North Star, United Polaris is the shining new star of business class travel that flyers can turn to for a tranquil and restful journey.

"United Polaris will change the game in international business travel with an exceptional level of relaxation and comfort throughout our customers' journeys," said Oscar Munoz, president and CEO of United. "This completely reconceived experience exemplifies the new spirit of United and the innovation, excitement and operational momentum across our airline."

Path-Breaking Design

In setting out to create a transformative business class experience, United chose to outfit its widebody fleet with a custom-designed, exclusive-to-United seat, rather than select an option already in the marketplace. Designed in partnership with Acumen Design Associates and PriestmanGoode and manufactured by Zodiac Seats United Kingdom, each United Polaris seat will offer direct access to the aisle, 180-degree flat-bed recline and up to 6 foot 6 inches of bed space.

Crafted as individual, forward-facing, suite-like pods, each customer's personal suite will feature a "Do Not Disturb" sign, mood lighting, one-touch lumbar support, several storage areas, multiple surfaces for simultaneous working and dining, a 16-inch high-definition entertainment screen and, for seats in the center of the cabin, electronic privacy dividers. Complementing the new seats, United and PriestmanGoode have also conceived an all-new look for the United Polaris cabins.

In rethinking the international business class experience, United conducted more than 12,000 hours of research, and sleep emerged as the single most important priority for international business class travelers. United Polaris' path-breaking design and sleep-enhancing focus was inspired and informed by insights from hundreds of customers and employees, inflight product simulations and more than 100 product evaluations.

Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours**. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.

Elevated Dining Experience

Upon boarding their flight, each United Polaris customer will be welcomed with a pre-departure beverage of his or her choice and gourmet chocolate. While in the air, customers will enjoy regionally influenced in-flight menus updated seasonally, developed in partnership with The Trotter Project and its critically recognized chefs, including Bill Kim of acclaimed Chicago restaurants Urbanbelly, bellyQ and Belly Shack.

The airline will offer an upgraded wine experience, with the highest-quality options curated exclusively by United's Master Sommelier. Inflight service will also include made-to-order signature ice cream sundaes, a dessert cart with a variety of petit dessert options, chocolate truffles and wine flights. On daytime flights longer than eight hours and on all flights longer than 12 hours, hot mid-flight snacks such as lobster macaroni and cheese will be available.

Raising The Bar With United Polaris Business Class Lounges

United will also open an exclusive portfolio of United Polaris business class lounges in nine locations around the world – the only lounge of its kind offered by a U.S. airline to business class customers – that will feature custom-designed chairs, private daybeds, spa-like showers and chef-inspired hot meals served in a boutique restaurant setting so customers can refresh and dine before boarding their planes. Premium sparkling wines and spirits, refreshing snacks and bottled water will also be offered.

The first new United Polaris lounge will open at Chicago O'Hare International Airport on Dec. 1, 2016. Lounges in eight other locations – Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, New York/Newark, Washington Dulles, Tokyo Narita, Hong Kong and London Heathrow – will follow in 2017.

United Polaris Introduction

United will begin to introduce United Polaris on Dec. 1, 2016, with the new inflight food and beverage experience, new custom bedding from Saks Fifth Avenue, new amenity kits and the new United Polaris lounge in Chicago. The United Polaris business class seat will first take flight in December on Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and subsequently on Boeing 787-10 and Airbus A350-1000 aircraft, as well as on Boeing 767-300 and 777-200 retrofits.

United Polaris will serve business class customers flying the U.S. airline industry's most global route network, reaching more than 330 destinations in more than 50 countries.

More information on the United Polaris business class can be found at united.com/Polaris.

[From [email][email protected] 11/15/2016]
Starting December 1, 2016, United Polaris Business Class service will replace United BusinessFirst service on international flights, and United Polaris Global First service will replace the current United Global First service.

Between 2017 to 2019 eight additional United Polaris lounges will open at EWR, HKG, IAD, IAH, LAX, LHR, NRT and SFO. We do not have the exact opening dates at this time. A scheduling announcement will be forthcoming.
** Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Print Wikipost

United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2018, 11:17 am

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Not complete removal. The article suggests reduction on routes that have lower demand for these items. Provided that service levels can be maintained, it appears to be net-neutral.
Honestly, that's worse. So now when I get on a plane expecting a wine flight, it will be a crap shoot depending on whether that route was a low demand wine flight route? While I always try to assume the best intentions among customer service people, the cynic in me expects that the simple elimination of the wine arc will lead flight attendants to assume that the entire program is gone. It's kind of like the statement in the Polaris menu to ask your flight attendant to explain the wines in the wine flight. Last time I asked, I was told "this one's a Bordeaux, this one's a Pinot Noir....." Yes, I saw you pour them :/
Old Jan 20, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: NZ *E
All this talk of wine flights.... on my flight from SFO-AKL yesterday I wasn’t even offered a single refill of my glass before the crew disappeared to the galley and asking for the mattress pad was met with a sigh.

While they’ve done a lot to improve the onboard product, it’s going to be really hard to make it compelling compared to the competition until the staff get adequate training (or at least more consistent customer service)
Old Jan 20, 2018, 3:44 pm

I fly this route with NH which is a code flight NH/UA
Old Jan 20, 2018, 3:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by samjnz
All this talk of wine flights.... on my flight from SFO-AKL yesterday I wasn’t even offered a single refill of my glass before the crew disappeared to the galley and asking for the mattress pad was met with a sigh.
If they are now not offering refills, that is indeed a new low.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by trust77
ummmmm, I fly primarily between IAH and NRT where none of the sCO 772er's have been refurbished...now do you understand?
Would you prefer one of the suUA 772s? You’re whining about one of the better “old” planes.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Got the new seat EWR-NRT. I think it is good, in line with what I got on AC and JL. Better than pre-UA and pre-CO.

Except for one slight detail. That white tray... I know what they tried to do - imitate white marble - but at least to me it appeared like a plastic white tray that was dirty. I had to try to wipe it off until I realized what was their goal.

Maybe the cabin lighting is responsible?
Old Jan 20, 2018, 6:22 pm

While they’ve done a lot to improve the onboard product, it’s going to be really hard to make it compelling compared to the competition until the staff get adequate training (or at least more consistent customer service)
Had a similar experience on SFO-AKL a couple weeks back. The crew absolutely disappeared after the meal service. Would expect them to at least make a lap every once in a while to see if anyone needs anything.

I was also a little disappointed in QF's attentiveness flying F on SYD-DFW on the way home. Had to hit the call button a few times for drinks on that one.

Flew EK in J on AKL-MEL as a part of the same trip and was thoroughly pleased with how much the crew hustled to complete the service on such a short segment for an A380. They also offered multiple refills on drinks. It was a bit rushed and a scramble, but they hustled the whole time and left me impressed.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
When is the best time to request PJs, Gel Pillow, and Matress pad? I typically don't need these until after the meal but I had one occasion where they ran out of pillows. (Well I was told they weren't loaded but I could have sworn someone else had one.) It feels like the pillow is the most likely item for them to run out of versus the matress pad or PJs.

I have tried asking when I am offered the PDB and since those amenities are listed in the Menu, I've tried requesting when I get asked for my meal order. However the FA seems slightly annoyed or confused because she is busy taking orders. As if it is taking all of the FA's concentration to focus on remembering the drink/meal order and I am messing her up by asking for something else. 50% of the time the FA forgets.

Sometimes the pillow is in the bin right in front of my seat so I'll just get that one myself but that's not always true.

It seems minor but their decision to make those items request only really "cheapens" the experience. Why can't the FA's proactively offer it. Whatever is left over can stay up in the bin for the next flight.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by eng3
When is the best time to request PJs...

I have tried asking when I am offered the PDB and since those amenities are listed in the Menu, I've tried requesting when I get asked for my meal order. However the FA seems slightly annoyed or confused because she is busy taking orders...
Maybe a good procedure would be to have FAs do it at same time as meal orders - “after the meal for your sleeping comfort we have gel pillows, pads, and/or pjs - would you like any of those items?”

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 21, 2018 at 2:57 pm
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I ask as soon as I've stowed my things. I ask very politely. If they say "after I finish xyz" I say "sure, whenever you have a chance." If I don't get them within a reasonable time, I ask again. These are published features of the Polaris service, and I don't really care if an FA might consider this an inconvenience. But perhaps I've been lucky, I've never run into any hostility.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I try to catch an FA's attention immediately. I say "When you have the chance, can I please have a gel pillow?" It usually works!
Old Jan 21, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Meanwhile, on Air New Zealand I go to the bathroom during the flight and then the flight attendant sees me and follows me back to my seat "Can I get you anything? Are you hungry?"

I wonder if an on-screen ordering system is a better option for snacks, drinks, amenities etc that way there is less awkward UA FA interaction.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Meanwhile, on Air New Zealand I go to the bathroom during the flight and then the flight attendant sees me and follows me back to my seat "Can I get you anything? Are you hungry?"
Good service and creepy all at the same time!
Old Jan 21, 2018, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I found it to be best to ask for - the mattress pad in my case - upon boarding. At that time some FAs seem to be not that occupied. After take-off, once the galley activity starts, the crew seems to fully focus on the dring & food service. Requests at this time tend to be "forgotten" easier than before take-off.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by eng3
When is the best time to request PJs, Gel Pillow, and Matress pad? I typically don't need these until after the meal but I had one occasion where they ran out of pillows. (Well I was told they weren't loaded but I could have sworn someone else had one.) It feels like the pillow is the most likely item for them to run out of versus the matress pad or PJs.

I have tried asking when I am offered the PDB and since those amenities are listed in the Menu, I've tried requesting when I get asked for my meal order. However the FA seems slightly annoyed or confused because she is busy taking orders. As if it is taking all of the FA's concentration to focus on remembering the drink/meal order and I am messing her up by asking for something else. 50% of the time the FA forgets.

Sometimes the pillow is in the bin right in front of my seat so I'll just get that one myself but that's not always true.

It seems minor but their decision to make those items request only really "cheapens" the experience. Why can't the FA's proactively offer it. Whatever is left over can stay up in the bin for the next flight.
i have noticed almost no one requests the mattress pad. It’s like no one knows about it. On my last few EWR-HKG flights when getting off the plane I didn’t see another one used anywhere.

To to be honest I have never slept better on a UA flight. The mattress pad actually allows me to get some good rest

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.