Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Polaris - Business Class seats -- hard product comments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 2, 2016, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As there are multi-threads on inflight service and meals, will re-focus this thread on the hard product, the seats (and things related to the seat -- pillows, pads, blankets, ...)

United website - Explore: http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris-business-class/p/1
from UA's Facebook stream
Only customers traveling in United Polaris business class or United Polaris Global First on international flights and customers in Star Alliance international first or business class cabins on flights longer than six hours will have access to the United Polaris Lounge.
Official Polaris Lounge Access Rules are here: Polaris Lounge Access Rules

United Polaris Business and Polaris First pax may access the Polaris lounge at connecting airports and their final destination within 24 hours of departure or arrival.

*A international J and F pax may only access the Polaris lounge at the departure airport. For purposes of Polaris lounge access, Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, and Guam are excluded from the definition of "international."

Seat Chart.

Press release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300278706.html

NEW YORK, June 2, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With the aspiration of making weary business travel a relic of the past, United Airlines today unveiled its all-new United Polaris business class, the airline's most significant product transformation in more than a decade, featuring a reimagined, sleep-enhancing, departure-to-landing experience for intercontinental travelers.

Named after the North Star, United Polaris is the shining new star of business class travel that flyers can turn to for a tranquil and restful journey.

"United Polaris will change the game in international business travel with an exceptional level of relaxation and comfort throughout our customers' journeys," said Oscar Munoz, president and CEO of United. "This completely reconceived experience exemplifies the new spirit of United and the innovation, excitement and operational momentum across our airline."

Path-Breaking Design

In setting out to create a transformative business class experience, United chose to outfit its widebody fleet with a custom-designed, exclusive-to-United seat, rather than select an option already in the marketplace. Designed in partnership with Acumen Design Associates and PriestmanGoode and manufactured by Zodiac Seats United Kingdom, each United Polaris seat will offer direct access to the aisle, 180-degree flat-bed recline and up to 6 foot 6 inches of bed space.

Crafted as individual, forward-facing, suite-like pods, each customer's personal suite will feature a "Do Not Disturb" sign, mood lighting, one-touch lumbar support, several storage areas, multiple surfaces for simultaneous working and dining, a 16-inch high-definition entertainment screen and, for seats in the center of the cabin, electronic privacy dividers. Complementing the new seats, United and PriestmanGoode have also conceived an all-new look for the United Polaris cabins.

In rethinking the international business class experience, United conducted more than 12,000 hours of research, and sleep emerged as the single most important priority for international business class travelers. United Polaris' path-breaking design and sleep-enhancing focus was inspired and informed by insights from hundreds of customers and employees, inflight product simulations and more than 100 product evaluations.

Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours**. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.

Elevated Dining Experience

Upon boarding their flight, each United Polaris customer will be welcomed with a pre-departure beverage of his or her choice and gourmet chocolate. While in the air, customers will enjoy regionally influenced in-flight menus updated seasonally, developed in partnership with The Trotter Project and its critically recognized chefs, including Bill Kim of acclaimed Chicago restaurants Urbanbelly, bellyQ and Belly Shack.

The airline will offer an upgraded wine experience, with the highest-quality options curated exclusively by United's Master Sommelier. Inflight service will also include made-to-order signature ice cream sundaes, a dessert cart with a variety of petit dessert options, chocolate truffles and wine flights. On daytime flights longer than eight hours and on all flights longer than 12 hours, hot mid-flight snacks such as lobster macaroni and cheese will be available.

Raising The Bar With United Polaris Business Class Lounges

United will also open an exclusive portfolio of United Polaris business class lounges in nine locations around the world – the only lounge of its kind offered by a U.S. airline to business class customers – that will feature custom-designed chairs, private daybeds, spa-like showers and chef-inspired hot meals served in a boutique restaurant setting so customers can refresh and dine before boarding their planes. Premium sparkling wines and spirits, refreshing snacks and bottled water will also be offered.

The first new United Polaris lounge will open at Chicago O'Hare International Airport on Dec. 1, 2016. Lounges in eight other locations – Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, New York/Newark, Washington Dulles, Tokyo Narita, Hong Kong and London Heathrow – will follow in 2017.

United Polaris Introduction

United will begin to introduce United Polaris on Dec. 1, 2016, with the new inflight food and beverage experience, new custom bedding from Saks Fifth Avenue, new amenity kits and the new United Polaris lounge in Chicago. The United Polaris business class seat will first take flight in December on Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and subsequently on Boeing 787-10 and Airbus A350-1000 aircraft, as well as on Boeing 767-300 and 777-200 retrofits.

United Polaris will serve business class customers flying the U.S. airline industry's most global route network, reaching more than 330 destinations in more than 50 countries.

More information on the United Polaris business class can be found at united.com/Polaris.

[From [email][email protected] 11/15/2016]
Starting December 1, 2016, United Polaris Business Class service will replace United BusinessFirst service on international flights, and United Polaris Global First service will replace the current United Global First service.

Between 2017 to 2019 eight additional United Polaris lounges will open at EWR, HKG, IAD, IAH, LAX, LHR, NRT and SFO. We do not have the exact opening dates at this time. A scheduling announcement will be forthcoming.
** Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Archive - United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}
Print Wikipost

United Polaris - Business Class seats -- hard product comments

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Artpen100
Yes, it is pretty clear that UA's strategy does not involve having a good brand. Until that changes - and while the planes are full, that is not likely, unless they decide they want to try to charge a premium - I doubt we will see an improvement.
I think they are already charging a premium, despite or in spite of the challenged brand.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fumje
I think they are already charging a premium, despite or in spite of the challenged brand.
That's just to make up for the corporate discounts.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
If you remember the original Polaris advertising, it sure looked at the time that they were trying to establish it as a premium brand to charge a premium price. I do sometimes see some ridiculous high pricing (last year TATL around the time Brexit was supposed to occur UA had pretty much everything around 9K USD RT when the other majors were much less, but I agree that they did not actually expect to get that, just to get more from the captive corporate demand that is a discount from that price. I can't imagine that too many business travelers would have paid that out of choice.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:06 pm

Any Secrets

I know they have had a lot of downgrades to service...with that said, does anyone have any suggestions for enjoying the service as best as possible?

I am flying EWR-HKG.

I know I should request pillow, pajama and mattress pad. Anything else?

I know to use the lounge in EWR. Anything specific to look for there? Does anyone know what time they will serve breakfast until?

Does HKG have an arrivals lounge?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by happy10345
I know they have had a lot of downgrades to service...with that said, does anyone have any suggestions for enjoying the service as best as possible?

I am flying EWR-HKG.

I know to use the lounge in EWR. Anything specific to look for there? Does anyone know what time they will serve breakfast until?

Yes - fly another airline.

I know that wasn't the answer you probably wanted to hear, but truth be told, assuming any degree of price parity between United and a premium airline, you are much better off taking someone else. United is OK for sale fares, awards, upgrades and discounts, and if you really, really must earn UA or *A miles, but as a premium destination for your money, you are better off elsewhere.

As alluded to upthread, United is pricing at par or a premium to the market so they can sell much of the remaining seats to corporate accounts at a very steep (think 50%++) discount - so while you've paid 6K for that seat, and the hit/miss degraded service and product that came with it, the Apple, Citibank or Bayer employee sitting next to you probably charged his/her cost center less than 2K for their seat....while 30 miles away at JFK, someone paid the same 6K to ANA and is enjoying a true premium product with world-class service.

There is no arrivals lounge at HKG.
Artpen100, IndyHoosier and tstauck like this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:19 pm

I used 95K ANA miles for roundtrip in J...return is on OZ with a stopover in-between. So it made sense for me to fly UA even if it isn't Cathay to Hong Kong!
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I used 95K ANA miles for roundtrip in J...return is on OZ with a stopover in-between. So it made sense for me to fly UA even if it isn't Cathay to Hong Kong!
What a great deal! UA charges 150K UA miles for roundtrip business saver award, when and if available.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am flying EWR-HKG.

Seems like you've got the basics. Ask for PJs and the mattress pad if you like. The pillow should be provisioned when you arrive. Hope you get the spidey amenity kit.

EWR breakfast until 11a, same for all lounges.

As replied, no arrivals lounge in HKG, although if I recall correctly there is some kind of public arrivals shower facility (unrelated to UA). I think I have seen it, but I know I have not tried it.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
When UA business class is the cheapest business or you can get an upgrade at booking, I'm happy to take it. The seat and mattress pad, etc., are fine. I just don't expect much from onboard service or food, or the lounge unless there is a Polaris lounge or a lounge of another Star Alliance partner. Though there has been some decent champagne lately. I'd certainly never pay $6K or more for it. Or more than around $2.5K, really.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know I should request pillow, pajama and mattress pad.
Do you have to ask for a pillow? I only flew Polaris once but there were two pillows waiting for me at my seat. One extremely firm / hard thing that I wasn't quite sure what to do with (I put it in the overhead bin and forgot about it, along with the blanket) and the nice soft pillow that I've also gotten on domestic F lie-flats in and in PE.

As for the mattress pad an pajamas, I prefer not to use them, but you should definitely ask for them if you want them. I kind of prefer that they aren't just given to you or offered since I never want them and on some airlines they really insist that you take them.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Do you have to ask for a pillow?
Nope.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 4:13 pm

Any ideas about food service?
Any guess to whether the new pajamas will be offered next week?

By the way not even sure for 160K I could have gotten this on UA. First the OZ flight(ICN-JFK) they said wasn't available even though ANA had no issue booking it. Second I am flying EWR-HKG//GUM-NGO//ICN-JFK and I don't think this was legal on UA...but for 95K in J it is on NH. This is why despite liking the Chase cards I value AMEX miles higher!
Old Jun 26, 2019, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Do you have to ask for a pillow? I only flew Polaris once but there were two pillows waiting for me at my seat. One extremely firm / hard thing that I wasn't quite sure what to do with (I put it in the overhead bin and forgot about it, along with the blanket) and the nice soft pillow that I've also gotten on domestic F lie-flats in and in PE.

As for the mattress pad an pajamas, I prefer not to use them, but you should definitely ask for them if you want them. I kind of prefer that they aren't just given to you or offered since I never want them and on some airlines they really insist that you take them.
That was the gel pillow, which I like very much, but which also divides opinion here.

By the way not even sure for 160K I could have gotten this on UA. First the OZ flight(ICN-JFK) they said wasn't available even though ANA had no issue booking it. Second I am flying EWR-HKG//GUM-NGO//ICN-JFK and I don't think this was legal on UA...but for 95K in J it is on NH. This is why despite liking the Chase cards I value AMEX miles higher!
What do you want to know? The departure meal service goes appetiser + salad, then main, then various desserts (petite fours, ice cream, cheese), with bread arriving somewhere between app and main. There is some good generic advice on meal choices from Kacee recently in the Let's Eat thread. The arrival meal service occurs about 90min before arrival, and you'll be asked for your arrival choice on departure. Between the meals there are snacks in the galley, but they may not be replenished. Your flight will have hot bites offered, nominally.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott

A lot of people (myself included) are really down on the product for the continuous service cuts, which, to me, relate to the fact that the service concept was actually pretty good when it rolled out. My initial thought was, "hey, imagine that, United finally got something right!" Naturally, predictably, the beancounters got to it and budget cuts have noticeably degraded the product. Objectively, though, it's still not that bad.

EWR-HKG has the 77W with true (I can't really call it "new" anymore) Polaris seating, and I've taken that flight several times so I feel qualified to opine as to some of the good aspects:

- To start, it's a great time for visiting the Polaris Lounge preflight because it's not crowded at all. The earlier Asia flights are gone (NRT/PVG/PEK) and the peak bank of redeye departures aren't for a few hours. So it's relatively quiet and you'll have quick service if you choose sit-down dining
- There have actually been some good Champagnes departing the US for Asia lately
- The beef and fish entrees are served in the new pre-plated large casseroles, which negatively impact presentation. Pasta and chicken dishes are served in bowls and plated in the galley; IME they look more appetizing. I haven't noticed a decline in portion size
- Bedding is still as good as any business class I've flown, which includes the large white pillow, blue gel pillow, light day blanket and duvet. The mattress pad (on request) is nice. Altogether the 77W is a pleasant sleeping environment, and has individual air gaspers, a big thumbs-up.
- I will ask a flight attendant for a mattress pad (always) and PJs (usually) during boarding, not long after settling in. Most of the time, they'll either bring them right over, or ask me to wait until after takeoff, but I try to get a request in early.
- Asia flights still provision mid-flight refreshments on request, which is usually a rice bowl or grilled cheese + tomato soup. Those are good. The other midflight snacks are sad... sandwiches are gone, so it's basically the contents of the domestic snack baskets and leftovers from the main service.
- If you want it, ask to have congee (arrival service) set aside for you at the same time you order for the main service. Some FAs groan but that's the only way I've consistently been able to score it, unless you prefer eating an omelet at 7pm HKG time.
- IFE is very good... large screen, good resolution, intuitive interface
- Plenty of storage at the seat, and even better if you can score an odd A or L seat.

The 77W didn't lose a flight attendant galley position like other aircraft, so the service aspect is pretty much the same as it's been since those airplanes came on property.

HKG has public shower facilities on arrival, but no airline lounges in the arrivals area. At that hour (EWR-HKG arrival), I know I can get into my hotel so I usually go straight into town.
wxguy, narvik, Kacee and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by EWR764
- Bedding is still as good as any business class I've flown, which includes the large white pillow, blue gel pillow, light day blanket and duvet. The mattress pad (on request) is nice. Altogether the 77W is a pleasant sleeping environment, and has individual air gaspers, a big thumbs-up.
This is the one thing Polaris really got right. True to the focus groups, it's what most of us paying $$$ really want, and the sleeping experience in Polaris is still unparalleled in J. It's a shame the rest is getting so thoroughly shredded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.