Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Polaris - Business Class seats -- hard product comments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 2, 2016, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As there are multi-threads on inflight service and meals, will re-focus this thread on the hard product, the seats (and things related to the seat -- pillows, pads, blankets, ...)

United website - Explore: http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris-business-class/p/1
from UA's Facebook stream
Only customers traveling in United Polaris business class or United Polaris Global First on international flights and customers in Star Alliance international first or business class cabins on flights longer than six hours will have access to the United Polaris Lounge.
Official Polaris Lounge Access Rules are here: Polaris Lounge Access Rules

United Polaris Business and Polaris First pax may access the Polaris lounge at connecting airports and their final destination within 24 hours of departure or arrival.

*A international J and F pax may only access the Polaris lounge at the departure airport. For purposes of Polaris lounge access, Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, and Guam are excluded from the definition of "international."

Seat Chart.

Press release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300278706.html

NEW YORK, June 2, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With the aspiration of making weary business travel a relic of the past, United Airlines today unveiled its all-new United Polaris business class, the airline's most significant product transformation in more than a decade, featuring a reimagined, sleep-enhancing, departure-to-landing experience for intercontinental travelers.

Named after the North Star, United Polaris is the shining new star of business class travel that flyers can turn to for a tranquil and restful journey.

"United Polaris will change the game in international business travel with an exceptional level of relaxation and comfort throughout our customers' journeys," said Oscar Munoz, president and CEO of United. "This completely reconceived experience exemplifies the new spirit of United and the innovation, excitement and operational momentum across our airline."

Path-Breaking Design

In setting out to create a transformative business class experience, United chose to outfit its widebody fleet with a custom-designed, exclusive-to-United seat, rather than select an option already in the marketplace. Designed in partnership with Acumen Design Associates and PriestmanGoode and manufactured by Zodiac Seats United Kingdom, each United Polaris seat will offer direct access to the aisle, 180-degree flat-bed recline and up to 6 foot 6 inches of bed space.

Crafted as individual, forward-facing, suite-like pods, each customer's personal suite will feature a "Do Not Disturb" sign, mood lighting, one-touch lumbar support, several storage areas, multiple surfaces for simultaneous working and dining, a 16-inch high-definition entertainment screen and, for seats in the center of the cabin, electronic privacy dividers. Complementing the new seats, United and PriestmanGoode have also conceived an all-new look for the United Polaris cabins.

In rethinking the international business class experience, United conducted more than 12,000 hours of research, and sleep emerged as the single most important priority for international business class travelers. United Polaris' path-breaking design and sleep-enhancing focus was inspired and informed by insights from hundreds of customers and employees, inflight product simulations and more than 100 product evaluations.

Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours**. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.

Elevated Dining Experience

Upon boarding their flight, each United Polaris customer will be welcomed with a pre-departure beverage of his or her choice and gourmet chocolate. While in the air, customers will enjoy regionally influenced in-flight menus updated seasonally, developed in partnership with The Trotter Project and its critically recognized chefs, including Bill Kim of acclaimed Chicago restaurants Urbanbelly, bellyQ and Belly Shack.

The airline will offer an upgraded wine experience, with the highest-quality options curated exclusively by United's Master Sommelier. Inflight service will also include made-to-order signature ice cream sundaes, a dessert cart with a variety of petit dessert options, chocolate truffles and wine flights. On daytime flights longer than eight hours and on all flights longer than 12 hours, hot mid-flight snacks such as lobster macaroni and cheese will be available.

Raising The Bar With United Polaris Business Class Lounges

United will also open an exclusive portfolio of United Polaris business class lounges in nine locations around the world – the only lounge of its kind offered by a U.S. airline to business class customers – that will feature custom-designed chairs, private daybeds, spa-like showers and chef-inspired hot meals served in a boutique restaurant setting so customers can refresh and dine before boarding their planes. Premium sparkling wines and spirits, refreshing snacks and bottled water will also be offered.

The first new United Polaris lounge will open at Chicago O'Hare International Airport on Dec. 1, 2016. Lounges in eight other locations – Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, New York/Newark, Washington Dulles, Tokyo Narita, Hong Kong and London Heathrow – will follow in 2017.

United Polaris Introduction

United will begin to introduce United Polaris on Dec. 1, 2016, with the new inflight food and beverage experience, new custom bedding from Saks Fifth Avenue, new amenity kits and the new United Polaris lounge in Chicago. The United Polaris business class seat will first take flight in December on Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and subsequently on Boeing 787-10 and Airbus A350-1000 aircraft, as well as on Boeing 767-300 and 777-200 retrofits.

United Polaris will serve business class customers flying the U.S. airline industry's most global route network, reaching more than 330 destinations in more than 50 countries.

More information on the United Polaris business class can be found at united.com/Polaris.

[From [email][email protected] 11/15/2016]
Starting December 1, 2016, United Polaris Business Class service will replace United BusinessFirst service on international flights, and United Polaris Global First service will replace the current United Global First service.

Between 2017 to 2019 eight additional United Polaris lounges will open at EWR, HKG, IAD, IAH, LAX, LHR, NRT and SFO. We do not have the exact opening dates at this time. A scheduling announcement will be forthcoming.
** Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Archive - United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}
Print Wikipost

United Polaris - Business Class seats -- hard product comments

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:39 am
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
But the FAs in flight just did not care. I'm new to UA but I switched some of my business to them specifically for the F product on lie-flat routes, and I got upgraded on one leg of my only economy trip, so I've flown them almost exclusively in F domestically this year. I've never gotten anything less than absolutely stellar service. You could tell that the FAs cared and were trying to give good service. On my one Polaris flight they were doing the bare minimum and going through the motions. They didn't even serve PDBs, and I've always gotten them on domestic UA flights in F (often with offers of refills).
Seniority and and crews location.
The long hauls to touristy destinations tend to attract the FAs with more seniority, while many domestics routes will often get newer and more excited FAs.
I've noticed that the location where the crew is based can also drastically affect the service on board when comparing similar flight.

I've also seen both Polaris and domestic FAs go above and beyond, while at the same time have had equally negative service on both types of routes.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
Onboard UA199 PVG-LAX now and no mattress pads available and no first choice of meal for 1K. Crew is great
Is there not a disconnect between those two comments? A good crew follows policy on meal priority.

Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
Hope this isn’t the new norm or I’ll be shifting more business back to DL.
Isn't that a 350 route for DL? With same relatively cheap fare ($3018), seems a no-brainer compared to the UA 789.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by porciuscato
That's a point I missed in my previous post. I just flew in a United 787-10 that was already filthy. How is that even possible?

On other flights, I can't count the times I've sat there trying not to look at the old garlic bread crust and other *unidentified* food items wedged between the seat and the fuselage. What's more surprising is I see this on planes that have been at the airport overnight. I mean the plane's there for 10 or 12 hours. You can't be bothered to vacuum it? LX, LT, Air Asia, HK, -- practically every other airline manages to clean their planes. Not United. I'm only surprised that they haven't had a serious lice or bedbug outbreak at some point.
A year or so ago, I started playing a game with my partner when we travel together: 'Find the Nut'. There's always a cashew piece somewhere. We haven't figured out a suitable prize for the winner, though.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Blogs are reporting UA is replacing the pajamas. Unsurprisingly, this is NOT an upgrade.

United is Replacing the Pajamas in Business and the New Ones Look Awful

UA is certainly giving me fewer and fewer reasons to spend money with them.
Ugh.

That is all I can say about that.

The lounge was absolutely a huge step up from any other business class lounge I've ever been to. I consider it a first class lounge, and a good one at that.

But the FAs in flight just did not care. I'm new to UA but I switched some of my business to them specifically for the F product on lie-flat routes, and I got upgraded on one leg of my only economy trip, so I've flown them almost exclusively in F domestically this year. I've never gotten anything less than absolutely stellar service. You could tell that the FAs cared and were trying to give good service.
On my one Polaris flight they were doing the bare minimum and going through the motions. They didn't even serve PDBs, and I've always gotten them on domestic UA flights in F (often with offers of refills).
Originally Posted by hirohito888
Seems unusual they didn't do PDB, even with the streamlined version of water, juice, champagne they implemented for almost a year--they should have been walking around with drinks tray. My experience has been 100% PDB on all flights since Polaris launch. Even pre-Polaris, PDB has been pretty consistent for me (vs. my experience on AA).
They did that on my return flight (which I saw but did not participate in since I was in PE). But on my outbound there was nothing.
I have had essentially no PDB in Polaris, where the tray skipped me, but I have also had truly no PDB where the attendants just 'hid' in the galley. I have also had non-tray PDB still, which I prefer because it is somewhat awkward to ask for something else when they are wielding the tray.

Originally Posted by mr8
Seniority and and crews location.
The long hauls to touristy destinations tend to attract the FAs with more seniority, while many domestics routes will often get newer and more excited FAs.
I've noticed that the location where the crew is based can also drastically affect the service on board when comparing similar flight.

I've also seen both Polaris and domestic FAs go above and beyond, while at the same time have had equally negative service on both types of routes.
I agree with the last statement, but I'm not sure about any relationship between seniority and quality. I think the variance in quality is about the same for more and for less senior crews, and I also notice a lot of 'seniority mixing'. Perhaps the key ingredient is the purser (or ISM or whatever the role is called now).
Old Jun 22, 2019, 1:09 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by fumje
A year or so ago, I started playing a game with my partner when we travel together: 'Find the Nut'.
... and it's not just pointing to the person next to you?

(There's a reason I'm single...)
ilovewestins likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zorak
... and it's not just pointing to the person next to you?

(There's a reason I'm single...)
In my case I'm sure it could be pointing to yours truly.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by fumje
A year or so ago, I started playing a game with my partner when we travel together: 'Find the Nut'. There's always a cashew piece somewhere. We haven't figured out a suitable prize for the winner, though. .
That seems simple. They get to eat it.
VegasGambler and IAH2MEL like this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I don't have any UA TPACs scheduled (just CX) and am a little bummed about that. I bring the bottoms with me on all my long-hauls. Love the light weight and they've held up very well. My favorite airline PJs overall (though EK are nice too).
I flew UA28 SIN-SFO yesterday and saw some grey packs stacked with the dark PJ packs - maybe those are the new ones already rolling out?

Good call on the bottoms - heck even for sub 12 hour flights that is nice to have
Old Jun 23, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by uastarflyer

I flew UA28 SIN-SFO yesterday and saw some grey packs stacked with the dark PJ packs - maybe those are the new ones already rolling out?

Good call on the bottoms - heck even for sub 12 hour flights that is nice to have
I bring my UA PJ’s on all long haul flights. And I wear them at home all the time as sweats. They have help up very well over hundreds of washes!
Old Jun 23, 2019, 4:49 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by uastarflyer

Grey - SM/M
Black - L/XL
Current ones.
uastarflyer likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Real quick mini-review. We flew the 787 Polaris from BRU - EWR about a week ago. We were in row 11, with my wife in the 1 by the window. I only have limited experience with business class (US and AA). This was hands down the best hard product I've ever flown by a mile The seat was amazing, the IFE was incredible. We were in Amsterdam, Paris, Bruges and Brussels and I was honestly looking forward to the 787 flight almost as much as the cities. I'm glad to have flown it.

That said, the service and food was not at all impressive. The food, in a word, was disgusting. I get how hard airline food is but the dishes my daughter and I got were quite clearly from someone who only was trying to answer the question: how can I get all of the main course in one dish that can go in the convection oven. Both the chicken and the beef were in a ton of standing 'juice' or something. It was just gross. When my daughter was served, the FA tilted the dish and set it down while looking in the opposite direction which mean all that juice spilled on my daughter's tray table and 'table cloth'. A few inches the other way and my daughter would have been wearing it. My ice cream sundae was not...it was liquid though later I saw the other side of the aisle had frozen ice cream.

The bedding was very nice and comfortable. I loved that we could use the headphones for the entire flight unlike AA that pulls them 60-90 minutes out (dumb move AA).

The Polaris lounge was nice...it was comparable in all ways to the AA Flagship Lounge.

The Spiderman amenity kits were a hit; loved them.

I loved the 787, the seat, the IFE, the amenity kits. The service, however, was poor. This is exactly the same as AA: good product, very lacking service. I don't know what the answer is, but some part of it should be compensation based on customer satisfaction.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by dingo
Real quick mini-review. We flew the 787 Polaris from BRU - EWR about a week ago. We were in row 11, with my wife in the 1 by the window. I only have limited experience with business class (US and AA). This was hands down the best hard product I've ever flown by a mile The seat was amazing, the IFE was incredible. We were in Amsterdam, Paris, Bruges and Brussels and I was honestly looking forward to the 787 flight almost as much as the cities. I'm glad to have flown it.

That said, the service and food was not at all impressive. The food, in a word, was disgusting. I get how hard airline food is but the dishes my daughter and I got were quite clearly from someone who only was trying to answer the question: how can I get all of the main course in one dish that can go in the convection oven. Both the chicken and the beef were in a ton of standing 'juice' or something. It was just gross. When my daughter was served, the FA tilted the dish and set it down while looking in the opposite direction which mean all that juice spilled on my daughter's tray table and 'table cloth'. A few inches the other way and my daughter would have been wearing it. My ice cream sundae was not...it was liquid though later I saw the other side of the aisle had frozen ice cream.

The bedding was very nice and comfortable. I loved that we could use the headphones for the entire flight unlike AA that pulls them 60-90 minutes out (dumb move AA).

The Polaris lounge was nice...it was comparable in all ways to the AA Flagship Lounge.

The Spiderman amenity kits were a hit; loved them.

I loved the 787, the seat, the IFE, the amenity kits. The service, however, was poor. This is exactly the same as AA: good product, very lacking service. I don't know what the answer is, but some part of it should be compensation based on customer satisfaction.
This review was spot on and highlights exactly the areas that need vast improvement. Some of the poor service can be attributed to staffing- service is very, very slow and spotty. The food is beyond dreadful. On US-bound flights, i now get food at the airport because the inflight food offerings are dreadful, bilge, inedible. If served in a prison, a riot would break out. Wines are insipid and cheap. Cabins are not very clean (already on record about the loos). All this detracts from a decent hard product

paging Jeff Smisek
Artpen100 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by manstein58

This review was spot on and highlights exactly the areas that need vast improvement. Some of the poor service can be attributed to staffing- service is very, very slow and spotty. The food is beyond dreadful. On US-bound flights, i now get food at the airport because the inflight food offerings are dreadful, bilge, inedible. If served in a prison, a riot would break out. Wines are insipid and cheap. Cabins are not very clean (already on record about the loos). All this detracts from a decent hard product

paging Jeff Smisek
while your points are spot on, nothing will change in the short term. Fixing the items you correctly note require UA to spend more money. Since planes are full, UA has no incentive to spend the money it would take to staff their aircraft properly, clean their aircraft properly, and proved better food and drink.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by halls120

while your points are spot on, nothing will change in the short term. Fixing the items you correctly note require UA to spend more money. Since planes are full, UA has no incentive to spend the money it would take to staff their aircraft properly, clean their aircraft properly, and proved better food and drink.
Realistic, regrettable, and accurate.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by halls120

And when the economy tanks, and the airplanes are not full, UA will cut costs further still. Vicious cycle.

Some airlines take pride in providing a quality product (NH, LH, and SQ being good examples). UA is not one of them.
EWR764, narvik and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
And when the economy tanks, and the airplanes are not full, UA will cut costs further still. Vicious cycle.

Some airlines take pride in providing a quality product (NH, LH, and SQ being good examples). UA is not one of them.
Yes, it is pretty clear that UA's strategy does not involve having a good brand. Until that changes - and while the planes are full, that is not likely, unless they decide they want to try to charge a premium - I doubt we will see an improvement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.