Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Polaris - Business Class seats -- hard product comments

Old Jun 2, 2016, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As there are multi-threads on inflight service and meals, will re-focus this thread on the hard product, the seats (and things related to the seat -- pillows, pads, blankets, ...)

United website - Explore: http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris-business-class/p/1
from UA's Facebook stream
Only customers traveling in United Polaris business class or United Polaris Global First on international flights and customers in Star Alliance international first or business class cabins on flights longer than six hours will have access to the United Polaris Lounge.
Official Polaris Lounge Access Rules are here: Polaris Lounge Access Rules

United Polaris Business and Polaris First pax may access the Polaris lounge at connecting airports and their final destination within 24 hours of departure or arrival.

*A international J and F pax may only access the Polaris lounge at the departure airport. For purposes of Polaris lounge access, Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, and Guam are excluded from the definition of "international."

Seat Chart.

Press release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300278706.html

NEW YORK, June 2, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With the aspiration of making weary business travel a relic of the past, United Airlines today unveiled its all-new United Polaris business class, the airline's most significant product transformation in more than a decade, featuring a reimagined, sleep-enhancing, departure-to-landing experience for intercontinental travelers.

Named after the North Star, United Polaris is the shining new star of business class travel that flyers can turn to for a tranquil and restful journey.

"United Polaris will change the game in international business travel with an exceptional level of relaxation and comfort throughout our customers' journeys," said Oscar Munoz, president and CEO of United. "This completely reconceived experience exemplifies the new spirit of United and the innovation, excitement and operational momentum across our airline."

Path-Breaking Design

In setting out to create a transformative business class experience, United chose to outfit its widebody fleet with a custom-designed, exclusive-to-United seat, rather than select an option already in the marketplace. Designed in partnership with Acumen Design Associates and PriestmanGoode and manufactured by Zodiac Seats United Kingdom, each United Polaris seat will offer direct access to the aisle, 180-degree flat-bed recline and up to 6 foot 6 inches of bed space.

Crafted as individual, forward-facing, suite-like pods, each customer's personal suite will feature a "Do Not Disturb" sign, mood lighting, one-touch lumbar support, several storage areas, multiple surfaces for simultaneous working and dining, a 16-inch high-definition entertainment screen and, for seats in the center of the cabin, electronic privacy dividers. Complementing the new seats, United and PriestmanGoode have also conceived an all-new look for the United Polaris cabins.

In rethinking the international business class experience, United conducted more than 12,000 hours of research, and sleep emerged as the single most important priority for international business class travelers. United Polaris' path-breaking design and sleep-enhancing focus was inspired and informed by insights from hundreds of customers and employees, inflight product simulations and more than 100 product evaluations.

Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours**. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.

Elevated Dining Experience

Upon boarding their flight, each United Polaris customer will be welcomed with a pre-departure beverage of his or her choice and gourmet chocolate. While in the air, customers will enjoy regionally influenced in-flight menus updated seasonally, developed in partnership with The Trotter Project and its critically recognized chefs, including Bill Kim of acclaimed Chicago restaurants Urbanbelly, bellyQ and Belly Shack.

The airline will offer an upgraded wine experience, with the highest-quality options curated exclusively by United's Master Sommelier. Inflight service will also include made-to-order signature ice cream sundaes, a dessert cart with a variety of petit dessert options, chocolate truffles and wine flights. On daytime flights longer than eight hours and on all flights longer than 12 hours, hot mid-flight snacks such as lobster macaroni and cheese will be available.

Raising The Bar With United Polaris Business Class Lounges

United will also open an exclusive portfolio of United Polaris business class lounges in nine locations around the world – the only lounge of its kind offered by a U.S. airline to business class customers – that will feature custom-designed chairs, private daybeds, spa-like showers and chef-inspired hot meals served in a boutique restaurant setting so customers can refresh and dine before boarding their planes. Premium sparkling wines and spirits, refreshing snacks and bottled water will also be offered.

The first new United Polaris lounge will open at Chicago O'Hare International Airport on Dec. 1, 2016. Lounges in eight other locations – Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, New York/Newark, Washington Dulles, Tokyo Narita, Hong Kong and London Heathrow – will follow in 2017.

United Polaris Introduction

United will begin to introduce United Polaris on Dec. 1, 2016, with the new inflight food and beverage experience, new custom bedding from Saks Fifth Avenue, new amenity kits and the new United Polaris lounge in Chicago. The United Polaris business class seat will first take flight in December on Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and subsequently on Boeing 787-10 and Airbus A350-1000 aircraft, as well as on Boeing 767-300 and 777-200 retrofits.

United Polaris will serve business class customers flying the U.S. airline industry's most global route network, reaching more than 330 destinations in more than 50 countries.

More information on the United Polaris business class can be found at united.com/Polaris.

[From [email][email protected] 11/15/2016]
Starting December 1, 2016, United Polaris Business Class service will replace United BusinessFirst service on international flights, and United Polaris Global First service will replace the current United Global First service.

Between 2017 to 2019 eight additional United Polaris lounges will open at EWR, HKG, IAD, IAH, LAX, LHR, NRT and SFO. We do not have the exact opening dates at this time. A scheduling announcement will be forthcoming.
** Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Archive - United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}
Print Wikipost

United Polaris - Business Class seats -- hard product comments

Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Anyone else notice a slight degrading of the normal pillow?

I know they changed the cover (it no longer has buttons), but it also feels like the fill has been cheapened....
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Anyone else notice a slight degrading of the normal pillow?

I know they changed the cover (it no longer has buttons), but it also feels like the fill has been cheapened....
My wife has noticed. When we board the flight, she touches her pillow then asks to touch my pillow and if she likes mine more she asks me to swap pillows...... Who knows, maybe my pillow was still an original one and her pillow was one with the cheaper fill.....
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
My wife has noticed. When we board the flight, she touches her pillow then asks to touch my pillow and if she likes mine more she asks me to swap pillows...... Who knows, maybe my pillow was still an original one and her pillow was one with the cheaper fill.....
That's why I bring my own. A Company Store down travel pillow that I can roll up, easy to carry and it's helpful even in various hotels. My faithful companion for more that 20 years.
tstauck likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by findark
This is the one thing Polaris really got right. True to the focus groups, it's what most of us paying $$$ really want, and the sleeping experience in Polaris is still unparalleled in J. It's a shame the rest is getting so thoroughly shredded.
The sleeping experienced is improved when wearing the Polaris pajamas. They’re so comfortable. If the new pajamas skimp on comfort, then the sleeping experience will be degraded on “pajama flights.”
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by EWR764
A lot of people (myself included) are really down on the product for the continuous service cuts, which, to me, relate to the fact that the service concept was actually pretty good when it rolled out. My initial thought was, "hey, imagine that, United finally got something right!" Naturally, predictably, the beancounters got to it and budget cuts have noticeably degraded the product. Objectively, though, it's still not that bad.
If you are speaking about the Polaris hard product, I agree. However, Polaris was supposed to be more than a new seat. Given the cuts to staffing, and downgraded quality and quality of food and wine, the Polaris soft product no longer compares well with the competition.

When I first experienced the Polaris soft product shortly after rollout, I considered it to be clearly ahead of the competition. Now, it clearly lags, and the question is - how much lower will it go?

Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by villox
I have been very lenient with United but my flight PRG-EWR yesterday was pretty bad. The plane hadn’t been cleaned very well; I discovered there was some sort of brown sticky liquid to the right of the seat after I had my pillow there and found it was stained on one side. A dirty fork was there too. No PDB was offered, despite the inbound plane having arrived only 15 minutes late and another 30 minute delay for cargo loading. Not even the champagne cart.

One round of drinks was offered before meal service, and then the crew was rushing to get it finished ASAP. No refills offered at all even as they switched between courses. I had to explicitly ask for it and they seemed put out. The meal was ok but the casserole presentation was pretty pathetic and resulted in a soupy conglomeration for the “Roman gnocchi” which was a lot like a Czech dumpling.

The midflight snack cart was quickly emptied and not restocked.

These are all pretty minor but combined with the old hard product left a rather unpleasant experience overall.
Ok..so 6 days after my rough PRG-EWR experience, I found myself on FRA-EWR. I haven’t had the time to file a complaint yet about the quoted experience, figuring I’d combine any complaints I had together.

But WOW what a difference:
- despite an almost 45 minute delay, and boarding only 20 minutes after the crew, PDB served swiftly after boarding
- drinks were offered to be refilled barely after I’d finished the previous
- the salmon main course was plated in a bowl with rice with good presentation, NOT the casserole dish, and was quite tasty
- the 787-10 is of course light years ahead of a non-retrofitted PMCO 763.
- cabin was perfectly clean

It was like 2 different airlines. At first I was thinking this experience would pre-empt my complaining at all but instead I think I’ll just use this as a contrast for consistency in my message to CS.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by halls120
If you are speaking about the Polaris hard product, I agree. However, Polaris was supposed to be more than a new seat. Given the cuts to staffing, and downgraded quality and quality of food and wine, the Polaris soft product no longer compares well with the competition.
I'd agree that it certainly no longer exceeds the competition across the board. But there are some elements of the product (bedding, Champagne, Polaris Lounge, desserts) that I am satisfied with. Of course, those will be the next to cut...

I was also somewhat pleasantly surprised, given dismal expectations, of the pre-plated casserole entrees. It's a cut, and the presentation is certainly worse than before, but I was also expecting a portion cut from the state of the service immediately preceding this version, and that isn't the case.

Anyway, my point is that United has cut the product to the point that customer perception has swung hard in the opposite direction, and while Polaris as initially conceived had a shot of creating a halo effect around the United international product in general (from a marketing perspective, UA is still trying to get there), the current iteration falls well short of that ideal. It's disappointing to customers, hence the pushback, and passengers are more likely now to be vocal about their displeasure over the constant drumbeat of cutbacks; I'm one of them. Reality falls somewhere between the FT perception and United's marketing hype.
TomA likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
I'd agree that it certainly no longer exceeds the competition across the board. But there are some elements of the product (bedding, Champagne, Polaris Lounge, desserts) that I am satisfied with. Of course, those will be the next to cut...

I was also somewhat pleasantly surprised, given dismal expectations, of the pre-plated casserole entrees. It's a cut, and the presentation is certainly worse than before, but I was also expecting a portion cut from the state of the service immediately preceding this version, and that isn't the case.

Anyway, my point is that United has cut the product to the point that customer perception has swung hard in the opposite direction, and while Polaris as initially conceived had a shot of creating a halo effect around the United international product in general (from a marketing perspective, UA is still trying to get there), the current iteration falls well short of that ideal. It's disappointing to customers, hence the pushback, and passengers are more likely now to be vocal about their displeasure over the constant drumbeat of cutbacks; I'm one of them. Reality falls somewhere between the FT perception and United's marketing hype.
^^ I agree with this guy. And I'll add that for the last year, I've been eating in the Polaris lounge before the flights because the food is better that the onboard food was EVEN BEFORE THE CUTS so I didn't really care. I save my first meal until the end of the flight now and it's still better than the congee or omlet, so overall it is a win.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
A lot of people (myself included) are really down on the product for the continuous service cuts, which, to me, relate to the fact that the service concept was actually pretty good when it rolled out. My initial thought was, "hey, imagine that, United finally got something right!" Naturally, predictably, the beancounters got to it and budget cuts have noticeably degraded the product. Objectively, though, it's still not that bad.

THANK YOU for this post!
Some of us regulars on this forum have become so cynical and jaded that our comments about the flight experience with United might seem nightmarish to some new-to-United traveler trying to find out what they might expect on their first ever J flight.
We are keen to point out the decrease[s] in service. A just reason for this forum's existence, but maybe not always an entirely accurate summation. We forget sometimes, that overall, the United Polaris experience isn't always as bad as me make it out to be.

Just flew EWR-PEK yesterday, and this is the highlight reel.

EWR - getting there (in the AM):
- School's out, so no School buses en-route, yeah!
- Most NJ drivers acquired their Driver's License for free & from a cereal box. Yikes!
- EWR Petrol Station near Hertz rental car drop-off: they newly ask for ZIP code of credit card which sadly doesn't work for foreign cards! Urghhhh!
- NO U-TURN allowed after exiting the Petrol Station to go back to Hertz Rental Car lot. Not allowed, but there's not always cops around...
- Construction for Terminal A Expansion means wonky things are happening with AirTrain. Walking to your terminal (at least Terminal A) might sometimes be faster than relying on AirTrain.

EWR - being there (mid AM, mid-week):
- Usual greeting by United "Polaris/1K" check-in area access staff: "First class?" My obligatory response: "No!"....as i walk past to the check-in monitors.
- Flight oversold. Asked to be potentially put on a future flight, but NO INDICATION of how much they might compensate. Answer with "No thanks". Need to be in Beijing....I guess.
- Where are all the people?
- TSA-pre line? Nope, nonexistent.
- Polaris lounge access: several passengers are directed to UA Club Lounge with explanation as to why they're not allowed in to this particular lounge. UA agent scans my boarding pass....5 times. No go. Try other terminal: no go. Wait. Print new boarding pass. More scans. No go. Wait. Computer screen suddenly bombards agent with multiple "access granted" messages, and I get the green light. Yeah!
- Polaris lounge: hardly anyone here.
- Stella Artois: it has to be 12 o'clock noon SOMEWHERE, right?
- Decide to enter dining area. Only one other patron.
- Note to self: say "no" to the water in the future: well-water at home...chlorinated water tastes bad.
- Choose beef sandwich thingy (it's AM so still on breakfast menu only). Choose "On The Rum" drink. Server suggests some other drink with Tequila and Lime...it is her favorite. I concede and order that instead.
- Drink comes out promptly and with a smile. It does NOT disappoint (pictured).
- Food comes out promptly and does not disappoint. Delicioso!
- Guy walks past and through the dining area on phone...and loud. THERE'S ALWAYS ONE!
- Google Play Store: update all apps at lightning speed (compared to home). Better to this here than in China.
- Realize I have no US$. Sorry, no tip today. Feel bad[ish].
- Red/Green lights on inside/outside toilet doors still BEST-IN-SYSTEM. The persons who designed that feature & authorized it deserve a medal!

UA89: boarding
- smooth, uneventful (at least the part I witnessed), and [mostly] by-the-book

UA89: flight (77Y)
- Great crew! Once again with one of my favorite UA FAs.
- Meal service is fast/efficient/professional
- Ginseng Chicken: not as good as Spicy Thai Coconut Chicken, but a close second!
- Sundae has EXACTLY the right temperature/consistency
- The completely frozen carrot piece on the hors d'oeuvre was the only oddity in the otherwise decent meal
- Champagne keeps flowing
- IFE offers some great entertainment. Hadn't flown for a few weeks, so it was a decently fresh selection!
- The [old] seat & bedding is comfortable, sleep is REM-deep (or so I'd like to think)
- Plane is clean; flight is smooth, temperature is right

PEK arrival
- no wait for customs: eureka!!!
- no wait for baggage: it's already on the carousel as I arrive at #41
- no wait at baggage screening: Lottery win!

Overall a nice, pleasant & uneventful trip; just the way I like it.
Oh, and this was a W fare + a GPU.

wxguy, tstauck and DCFlyIAD like this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA GS
I reached out to CS to complain about my PRG-EWR experience and the called me (I missed the call), emailed a specific apology and sent me an e-cert. I complain pretty rarely, so they must have assumed it was serious. They said they would pass along the various concerns including taking it up with the employee (though I feel bad for that, I don’t like to get specific employees on trouble and they were nice otherwise.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 12:22 am
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I thought it was funny how delta's long-haul economy is getting some nice upgrades like a PDB, hot towels, real menus, and farewell chocolates while Polaris keeps getting service cuts...

https://news.delta.com/welcome-cockt...-international

#BringBackThePolarisChocolates !
Old Jul 5, 2019, 12:29 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
I agree

I'm usually not super fussy with this stuff but it has been getting really bad. I hit 1K by March this year and the service is worse even just this year on long Asia Polaris flights. I'm no wine snob but I enjoy it and even the selections have been worse lately. Even the cabin staff seem unhappy to be there.

The only highlight of my trips are the SFO Polaris Lounge burger (I love it) and the sundae in-flight. I've skipped the last few breakfasts because they have gotten pretty bad. The garlic bread is good. I'm a simple guy so if I notice, it's pretty bad.

I've heard good things about Delta lately as well Free messaging in flight is huge, that's $30-$40 a flight saved and the econ plus product is nice with food, too.

Last edited by DMSFCA; Jul 5, 2019 at 12:37 am
Old Jul 5, 2019, 1:04 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Aside from the seat, Delta Economy>Polaris
Old Jul 5, 2019, 1:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I received the chocolates 2 weeks ago on SIN-SFO. Are they discontinued now?
Old Jul 5, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I received the chocolates 2 weeks ago on SIN-SFO. Are they discontinued now?
On my LHR-ORD flight yesterday, the chocolates were incorporated as the dessert in the per-arrival snack. They're thus doing double duty - e.g., sweating the assets to make the bean counters happier.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.