Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Polaris - Business Class seats -- hard product comments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 2, 2016, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As there are multi-threads on inflight service and meals, will re-focus this thread on the hard product, the seats (and things related to the seat -- pillows, pads, blankets, ...)

United website - Explore: http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris-business-class/p/1
from UA's Facebook stream
Only customers traveling in United Polaris business class or United Polaris Global First on international flights and customers in Star Alliance international first or business class cabins on flights longer than six hours will have access to the United Polaris Lounge.
Official Polaris Lounge Access Rules are here: Polaris Lounge Access Rules

United Polaris Business and Polaris First pax may access the Polaris lounge at connecting airports and their final destination within 24 hours of departure or arrival.

*A international J and F pax may only access the Polaris lounge at the departure airport. For purposes of Polaris lounge access, Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, and Guam are excluded from the definition of "international."

Seat Chart.

Press release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300278706.html

NEW YORK, June 2, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With the aspiration of making weary business travel a relic of the past, United Airlines today unveiled its all-new United Polaris business class, the airline's most significant product transformation in more than a decade, featuring a reimagined, sleep-enhancing, departure-to-landing experience for intercontinental travelers.

Named after the North Star, United Polaris is the shining new star of business class travel that flyers can turn to for a tranquil and restful journey.

"United Polaris will change the game in international business travel with an exceptional level of relaxation and comfort throughout our customers' journeys," said Oscar Munoz, president and CEO of United. "This completely reconceived experience exemplifies the new spirit of United and the innovation, excitement and operational momentum across our airline."

Path-Breaking Design

In setting out to create a transformative business class experience, United chose to outfit its widebody fleet with a custom-designed, exclusive-to-United seat, rather than select an option already in the marketplace. Designed in partnership with Acumen Design Associates and PriestmanGoode and manufactured by Zodiac Seats United Kingdom, each United Polaris seat will offer direct access to the aisle, 180-degree flat-bed recline and up to 6 foot 6 inches of bed space.

Crafted as individual, forward-facing, suite-like pods, each customer's personal suite will feature a "Do Not Disturb" sign, mood lighting, one-touch lumbar support, several storage areas, multiple surfaces for simultaneous working and dining, a 16-inch high-definition entertainment screen and, for seats in the center of the cabin, electronic privacy dividers. Complementing the new seats, United and PriestmanGoode have also conceived an all-new look for the United Polaris cabins.

In rethinking the international business class experience, United conducted more than 12,000 hours of research, and sleep emerged as the single most important priority for international business class travelers. United Polaris' path-breaking design and sleep-enhancing focus was inspired and informed by insights from hundreds of customers and employees, inflight product simulations and more than 100 product evaluations.

Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours**. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.

Elevated Dining Experience

Upon boarding their flight, each United Polaris customer will be welcomed with a pre-departure beverage of his or her choice and gourmet chocolate. While in the air, customers will enjoy regionally influenced in-flight menus updated seasonally, developed in partnership with The Trotter Project and its critically recognized chefs, including Bill Kim of acclaimed Chicago restaurants Urbanbelly, bellyQ and Belly Shack.

The airline will offer an upgraded wine experience, with the highest-quality options curated exclusively by United's Master Sommelier. Inflight service will also include made-to-order signature ice cream sundaes, a dessert cart with a variety of petit dessert options, chocolate truffles and wine flights. On daytime flights longer than eight hours and on all flights longer than 12 hours, hot mid-flight snacks such as lobster macaroni and cheese will be available.

Raising The Bar With United Polaris Business Class Lounges

United will also open an exclusive portfolio of United Polaris business class lounges in nine locations around the world – the only lounge of its kind offered by a U.S. airline to business class customers – that will feature custom-designed chairs, private daybeds, spa-like showers and chef-inspired hot meals served in a boutique restaurant setting so customers can refresh and dine before boarding their planes. Premium sparkling wines and spirits, refreshing snacks and bottled water will also be offered.

The first new United Polaris lounge will open at Chicago O'Hare International Airport on Dec. 1, 2016. Lounges in eight other locations – Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, New York/Newark, Washington Dulles, Tokyo Narita, Hong Kong and London Heathrow – will follow in 2017.

United Polaris Introduction

United will begin to introduce United Polaris on Dec. 1, 2016, with the new inflight food and beverage experience, new custom bedding from Saks Fifth Avenue, new amenity kits and the new United Polaris lounge in Chicago. The United Polaris business class seat will first take flight in December on Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and subsequently on Boeing 787-10 and Airbus A350-1000 aircraft, as well as on Boeing 767-300 and 777-200 retrofits.

United Polaris will serve business class customers flying the U.S. airline industry's most global route network, reaching more than 330 destinations in more than 50 countries.

More information on the United Polaris business class can be found at united.com/Polaris.

[From [email][email protected] 11/15/2016]
Starting December 1, 2016, United Polaris Business Class service will replace United BusinessFirst service on international flights, and United Polaris Global First service will replace the current United Global First service.

Between 2017 to 2019 eight additional United Polaris lounges will open at EWR, HKG, IAD, IAH, LAX, LHR, NRT and SFO. We do not have the exact opening dates at this time. A scheduling announcement will be forthcoming.
** Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Archive - United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}
Print Wikipost

United Polaris - Business Class seats -- hard product comments

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2020, 11:26 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
SFO-HND is on the 787-10 now. New seats.
Huh. It does go back to 789 later in schedule. Maybe they just haven't loaded it for all 2020 yet? Good news anyway, I'm very surprised.

I guess there'll never be saver space on that route ever again now lmao.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:23 am

Programs: UA 1k 1.75 MM
The United Polaris progress tracker currently says that all 777-200ER, 767-300ER, and 787-8 will get the Polaris seats in 2020, and the 787-9 will be completed next year. I think this is wildly optimistic based on the the conversion rate since launch.

I've only sat in a Polaris seat once since in the 3 years since Polaris launched. I am pretty much only on 787-8 or -9 when I fly UA business the last couple of years. I am not currently booking UA on a 777 route because there is always a chance to get one of the 2-4-2 planes - even if it looks otherwise at booking.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MysteryTour
I am not currently booking UA on a 777 route because there is always a chance to get one of the 2-4-2 planes - even if it looks otherwise at booking.
The odds are pretty low right now. There are currently only 5 of those flying, vs 25 sUA converted. Still, I hear ya - a 16.7% chance is high enough that I wouldn't risk it if I had another option.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
Look on the bright side, we now have Star Wars amenity kits and a freshly painted plane! Also you never have to worry about not finding something on the menu that you like because the menu has been the same for the past 3 years (sans wine paring).
The Star Wars Amenity kits are right up there with the Spiderman roll-out etc. Whoever is in charge of kit themes really needs to better understand the clientele that most uses J service.
dkmatter likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 2stepbay
The Star Wars Amenity kits are right up there with the Spiderman roll-out etc. Whoever is in charge of kit themes really needs to better understand the clientele that most uses J service.
Your right, Apple engineers and marketing staff probably aren’t very much into sci fi or marvel animation.
cricketer and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 1:07 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by 2stepbay
I dunno about you but all amenity kits are throwaway for me. I'll maybe use the socks and the toothbrush. Who collects amenity kits? My essential toiletries are in my transparent sandwich size baggie and the contents come from the supermarket or Walgreens.

The benefits of the Spiderman and Star Wars kits were that I gave them to my 8 year old nephew and he liked them (he wears the Spidey eye mask and the Spidey bag is a pencil case). I don’t think anyone would have liked the boring Sunday Riley zipper boxes after the flight.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 1:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Your right, Apple engineers and marketing staff probably aren’t very much into sci fi or marvel animation.
That's a captive market. UA could give them Barbie lunchboxes.
dkmatter and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
SQ flies IAH-MAN, and I think they still do JFK-FRA. so there are 2. I don’t think QR flies any US-EU flights, but EK does JFK-Milan, and maybe they have another, as well.
SQ is also highly overrated, IMO. Landed in FRA (from JFK) about an hour ago and felt underwhelmed - e.g. slow dinner service did not complete until 3 hours into a sub-7 hour red-eye flight. The Book the Cook feature remains my favorite pre-order service, however.

With regards to UA fleet, I think this is where United should get its credit. Retrofit takes time, and I think overall speed has been more than adequate. (real) Polaris hard product is not UA's issue.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 2:49 am
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by Z Man
... SFO-SIN really should have the new seats, but we still have the old ones. IAH to AMS should have the new seats as well.
Well at least SFO and IAH have a Polaris lounge. The poor suckers flying out of DEN only have a dated club, zero Polaris seats, and never get any PJs!
Old Jan 17, 2020, 3:02 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by porciuscato
The bottom line is the Flight Attendants make the service and United's entrenched, unionized flight attendants will always be execrable; it really doesn't matter how you dress it up. European airlines have unionized flight attendants too, but they eliminate the slow and the lazy with swim tests &etc. Maybe United could do the same.

Another solution is to lower expectations: stop pretending and have the flight attendants provide literally no service at all (after all, they're here "primarily here for your safety"); everybody can either eat in the lounge or bring a picnic basket with food. United could lower prices a little to compensate.
This comes up repeatedly, and I'll simply say (1) my experience of UA flight attendants is nearly the complete opposite and (2) people working in service industries are very good at detecting when those they serve have contempt for them.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by physioprof
This comes up repeatedly, and I'll simply say (1) my experience of UA flight attendants is nearly the complete opposite and (2) people working in service industries are very good at detecting when those they serve have contempt for them.
It's a mixed bag, but I blame United for short staffing with high density and not allowing enough paid time for setup, etc. more than the anti-Union nonsense.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 3:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by physioprof
...people working in service industries are very good at detecting when those they serve have contempt for them.
A good employee "working in service industries" would look past this perceived contempt, and still fulfill his/her duties in a professional and courteous manner.

A bad employee "working in service industries" would get offended by this perceived contempt, and take revenge in every possible way, especially if they happen to be in a position of some authority.

Old Jan 17, 2020, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by narvik
Has any airline with as many widebody airplanes ever done a complete retrofitt of their seating in LESS time?

I always thought of it as a huge commitment that is very complex and costly and am glad they did this, and stayed (mostly) on track.

It's one area I won't fault them on.
Agreed, but I’d still like to know what exactly happens. N29968, the first B789, has been sitting at XMN since November 24. It seems to take a long time.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 3:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Z Man
I have been doing a fair number of trips to Asia and Europe the last few years. I have come to one conclusion, that United has no interest in having a great J service for those of us who dont work for Apple. SFO-SIN really should have the new seats, but we still have the old ones. IAH to AMS should have the new seats as well. we are just waiting and waiting for the role out to other routes. It simply sucks in comparison to Qatar and Singapore Airways.

Come on united get the new seats on all the planes! And get the food and beverages back up to business class products. I have come to the point of eating in airport or taking my own food on board...
If Polaris sucks, why do you want UA to install it more quickly across the fleet? I think the lounges are nice and the on-board product is quite ok for the price.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 4:32 am

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
Originally Posted by mctaste
stop flying non-US airlines and you wont know what you are missing. easy!
its what I did (mostly) a ways back...have not regretted it at all...
worldtrav likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.