Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Polaris - Business Class seats -- hard product comments

Old Jun 2, 2016, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As there are multi-threads on inflight service and meals, will re-focus this thread on the hard product, the seats (and things related to the seat -- pillows, pads, blankets, ...)

United website - Explore: http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris-business-class/p/1
from UA's Facebook stream
Only customers traveling in United Polaris business class or United Polaris Global First on international flights and customers in Star Alliance international first or business class cabins on flights longer than six hours will have access to the United Polaris Lounge.
Official Polaris Lounge Access Rules are here: Polaris Lounge Access Rules

United Polaris Business and Polaris First pax may access the Polaris lounge at connecting airports and their final destination within 24 hours of departure or arrival.

*A international J and F pax may only access the Polaris lounge at the departure airport. For purposes of Polaris lounge access, Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, and Guam are excluded from the definition of "international."

Seat Chart.

Press release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300278706.html

NEW YORK, June 2, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With the aspiration of making weary business travel a relic of the past, United Airlines today unveiled its all-new United Polaris business class, the airline's most significant product transformation in more than a decade, featuring a reimagined, sleep-enhancing, departure-to-landing experience for intercontinental travelers.

Named after the North Star, United Polaris is the shining new star of business class travel that flyers can turn to for a tranquil and restful journey.

"United Polaris will change the game in international business travel with an exceptional level of relaxation and comfort throughout our customers' journeys," said Oscar Munoz, president and CEO of United. "This completely reconceived experience exemplifies the new spirit of United and the innovation, excitement and operational momentum across our airline."

Path-Breaking Design

In setting out to create a transformative business class experience, United chose to outfit its widebody fleet with a custom-designed, exclusive-to-United seat, rather than select an option already in the marketplace. Designed in partnership with Acumen Design Associates and PriestmanGoode and manufactured by Zodiac Seats United Kingdom, each United Polaris seat will offer direct access to the aisle, 180-degree flat-bed recline and up to 6 foot 6 inches of bed space.

Crafted as individual, forward-facing, suite-like pods, each customer's personal suite will feature a "Do Not Disturb" sign, mood lighting, one-touch lumbar support, several storage areas, multiple surfaces for simultaneous working and dining, a 16-inch high-definition entertainment screen and, for seats in the center of the cabin, electronic privacy dividers. Complementing the new seats, United and PriestmanGoode have also conceived an all-new look for the United Polaris cabins.

In rethinking the international business class experience, United conducted more than 12,000 hours of research, and sleep emerged as the single most important priority for international business class travelers. United Polaris' path-breaking design and sleep-enhancing focus was inspired and informed by insights from hundreds of customers and employees, inflight product simulations and more than 100 product evaluations.

Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours**. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.

Elevated Dining Experience

Upon boarding their flight, each United Polaris customer will be welcomed with a pre-departure beverage of his or her choice and gourmet chocolate. While in the air, customers will enjoy regionally influenced in-flight menus updated seasonally, developed in partnership with The Trotter Project and its critically recognized chefs, including Bill Kim of acclaimed Chicago restaurants Urbanbelly, bellyQ and Belly Shack.

The airline will offer an upgraded wine experience, with the highest-quality options curated exclusively by United's Master Sommelier. Inflight service will also include made-to-order signature ice cream sundaes, a dessert cart with a variety of petit dessert options, chocolate truffles and wine flights. On daytime flights longer than eight hours and on all flights longer than 12 hours, hot mid-flight snacks such as lobster macaroni and cheese will be available.

Raising The Bar With United Polaris Business Class Lounges

United will also open an exclusive portfolio of United Polaris business class lounges in nine locations around the world – the only lounge of its kind offered by a U.S. airline to business class customers – that will feature custom-designed chairs, private daybeds, spa-like showers and chef-inspired hot meals served in a boutique restaurant setting so customers can refresh and dine before boarding their planes. Premium sparkling wines and spirits, refreshing snacks and bottled water will also be offered.

The first new United Polaris lounge will open at Chicago O'Hare International Airport on Dec. 1, 2016. Lounges in eight other locations – Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, New York/Newark, Washington Dulles, Tokyo Narita, Hong Kong and London Heathrow – will follow in 2017.

United Polaris Introduction

United will begin to introduce United Polaris on Dec. 1, 2016, with the new inflight food and beverage experience, new custom bedding from Saks Fifth Avenue, new amenity kits and the new United Polaris lounge in Chicago. The United Polaris business class seat will first take flight in December on Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and subsequently on Boeing 787-10 and Airbus A350-1000 aircraft, as well as on Boeing 767-300 and 777-200 retrofits.

United Polaris will serve business class customers flying the U.S. airline industry's most global route network, reaching more than 330 destinations in more than 50 countries.

More information on the United Polaris business class can be found at united.com/Polaris.

[From [email][email protected] 11/15/2016]
Starting December 1, 2016, United Polaris Business Class service will replace United BusinessFirst service on international flights, and United Polaris Global First service will replace the current United Global First service.

Between 2017 to 2019 eight additional United Polaris lounges will open at EWR, HKG, IAD, IAH, LAX, LHR, NRT and SFO. We do not have the exact opening dates at this time. A scheduling announcement will be forthcoming.
** Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Archive - United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}
Print Wikipost

United Polaris - Business Class seats -- hard product comments

Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
UA1 on the 6th, no slippers loaded. I asked FA quietly and just before pushback she discreetly handed me one. ....
Polaris is sounding like it offers all the ambiance of a speakeasy.
LAX_BillyJoe likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
But what the big discount meant was that we could fly one-way refundable tickets at a reasonable price (still almost $4,000 one-way for a long-haul flight), with no advance purchase requirement on flights that weren't fully booked. For a corporate customer this can be a massive benefit, even while still giving the airline a fair deal.
That's in the ballpark of the Pass Plus discounts booking into C.

It's safe to say that most corporate customers are not paying $12-15k for last minute RT fares to LHR or HKG. More like $8k.
findark likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
They did not have L/XL pyjamas on SYD-IAH yesterday, just S/M.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
IME internet is frequently spotty once you get anywhere near China.

There is no fixed route, it depends on jetstream and other considerations. For example, check out flight path on Saturday, July 6. UAL862
Good to know. I would assume that route would result in internet outages, but in my experiences just flying near the coast for SFO-PVG routes is totally fine. I've had no problems checking email right up to landing even when I'm visibly over the Chinese coast (Ningbo or Nantong area).
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by manstein58
Polaris food is atrocious. Beyond inedible
That hasn’t been my experience although I’ve only been doing 2-3 Polaris flights per year. It’s not spectacular but hardly atrocious or inedible. My recent LIS-EWR flight had a nice appetizer salad with salmon and the short rib with port sauce was actually pretty decent (although I found the short rib portion on the small side).

Originally Posted by worldtrav
Apparently the wine list is also now gone, enhanced away due to overwhelming customer feedback. The brand of champagne disappeared a while ago, now the wines are listed as "ask your flight attendant for today's choices". I enjoy reading tasting notes and wine descriptions. Polaris just sinks lower.
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
They had not bothered catering the actual wines listed on the menu for who knows how long at this point - so they might as well stop the charade. All having a specific wine list will do is annoy the passengers who care about that kind of thing, since UA never had the right wines on board. For the people who will drink ‘red’ or ‘white’ wine, having a list or not won’t make a difference.
We had a wine list on my LIS-EWR flight last week. It was on the flip side of the menu insert and actually had the wines listed. As I reported above, the FA serving me seemed new and was unfamiliar with the wines but he did find the wine I requested, showed me the bottle, and poured me a pretty healthy glass. He’d have refilled me too but all I wanted was one glass to go with lunch. I will admit that my DEN-FRA flight last month was a bit less satisfying but I wanted sleep on that flight so wasn’t as concerned.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Just did EWR/LHR roundtrip on Polaris hard product 767 flights 110/17.

As always, enjoyed the EWR Polaris lounge although it was pretty packed. Had the burger again - great.

I do agree with the large erosion of the soft product on board. On outbound I was mostly interested in sleep so it wasn't a big deal. On way back, the food was pretty bad. There used to be an appetizer course, that has been downgraded to a salad and some weird pate thing. Main was a Thai chicken dish which was at least mostly edible. For the arrival meal, I chose a hamburger. I thought, United has had some pretty good business/Polaris hamburgers in the past. No longer. There was a thing served which was a cheeseburger patty inside some breading pastry. Served with some small packages of ketchup and mustard. What a lousy fraud. How they have the nerve to call this thing a hamburger is beyond me. Obviously just a cost cutting move and saves time since the staff only have to shove this burger pastry concoction into the warming oven and serve without any further work. The London based staff's service, was purely perfunctory and lacking in providing any additional help. Never once stopped by and asked if I wanted another drink or anything. No PDB in either direction. Seriously? Overall I was disappointed with the flight.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Eadward
For the arrival meal, I chose a hamburger. I thought, United has had some pretty good business/Polaris hamburgers in the past. No longer. There was a thing served which was a cheeseburger patty inside some breading pastry. Served with some small packages of ketchup and mustard. What a lousy fraud. How they have the nerve to call this thing a hamburger is beyond me. Obviously just a cost cutting move and saves time since the staff only have to shove this burger pastry concoction into the warming oven and serve without any further work.
Previous posts show the menu description as Hamburger Wellington. It’s actually a dish with a direct connection to the golden age of flying. The executive chef at Braniff International wrapped sandwich fillings in puff pastry in 1971 and dubbed it the Branwich. The dish was so popular that the airline published home recipes in its inflight magazine. It’s a bit tough to read but the Braniff Flying Colors group has a low-res scan over on Facebook. https://images.app.goo.gl/Mck2ULUea77Jempx9
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: UA GS
Just did EWR/LHR roundtrip on Polaris hard product 767 flights 110/17.

As always, enjoyed the EWR Polaris lounge although it was pretty packed. Had the burger again - great.

I do agree with the large erosion of the soft product on board. On outbound I was mostly interested in sleep so it wasn't a big deal. On way back, the food was pretty bad. There used to be an appetizer course, that has been downgraded to a salad and some weird pate thing. Main was a Thai chicken dish which was at least mostly edible. For the arrival meal, I chose a hamburger. I thought, United has had some pretty good business/Polaris hamburgers in the past. No longer. There was a thing served which was a cheeseburger patty inside some breading pastry. Served with some small packages of ketchup and mustard. What a lousy fraud. How they have the nerve to call this thing a hamburger is beyond me. Obviously just a cost cutting move and saves time since the staff only have to shove this burger pastry concoction into the warming oven and serve without any further work. The London based staff's service, was purely perfunctory and lacking in providing any additional help. Never once stopped by and asked if I wanted another drink or anything. No PDB in either direction. Seriously? Overall I was disappointed with the flight.
I thought the chicken pate appetizer was quite tasty, and was genuinely pleased with the cheeseburger wellington on arrival. Had a nice flaky crust and pleasant texture and made for a decent snack. To each their own I guess.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Originally Posted by Kacee
Probably because you were in Chinese airspace.
Actually no... we flew east right away due to weather... Even the purser (again) was surprised it wasn't working and had to reset the system.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I do agree with the large erosion of the soft product on board. On outbound I was mostly interested in sleep so it wasn't a big deal. On way back, the food was pretty bad. There used to be an appetizer course, that has been downgraded to a salad and some weird pate thing. Main was a Thai chicken dish which was at least mostly edible. For the arrival meal, I chose a hamburger. I thought, United has had some pretty good business/Polaris hamburgers in the past. No longer. There was a thing served which was a cheeseburger patty inside some breading pastry. Served with some small packages of ketchup and mustard. What a lousy fraud. How they have the nerve to call this thing a hamburger is beyond me.
As noted above, it's a Hamburger Wellington, and UA's version is nasty.

I'm getting tired of Thai chicken dishes on UA but, upon reflection, they're usually decent and the safest option at this point. The domestic Thai noodle dishes, and the thai green curry from the buffet at EWR Polaris are probably the best of the rest.

I agree that the Polaris lounge ex-EWR to Europe (with true Polaris) makes for a nice journey and you just maximize sleep. Did EWR-BCN recently and thought the same. It does make you miss the Polaris lounge on the return, though!
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Bring Back Old J

As a GS and after flying a ton of J in all sorts of UA metal, I can now firmly say I wish the old J (pmCO) was back.

While they hit it out of the park with the lounges and the blankets/pillows, the seat is too tight and uncomfortable and on the 787-10, even moreso with a significantly smaller seat.

Without fail, I wake up from sleep on every Polaris flight with some part of my body asleep. On a NRT flight yesterday, both my arms went numb from being wedged in the 772 seat.

While I love the aisle access, I'd take a 2x2x2 center seat anyday on the older product than the new seat.

And as others have mentioned, the food has really gone downhill from average to poor...and it is consistently poor.

It's sad to say, but after a slow roll out of the new seat, I wish it went away.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
As a GS and after flying a ton of J in all sorts of UA metal, I can now firmly say I wish the old J (pmCO) was back.

While they hit it out of the park with the lounges and the blankets/pillows, the seat is too tight and uncomfortable and on the 787-10, even moreso with a significantly smaller seat.

Without fail, I wake up from sleep on every Polaris flight with some part of my body asleep. On a NRT flight yesterday, both my arms went numb from being wedged in the 772 seat.

While I love the aisle access, I'd take a 2x2x2 center seat anyday on the older product than the new seat.

And as others have mentioned, the food has really gone downhill from average to poor...and it is consistently poor.

It's sad to say, but after a slow roll out of the new seat, I wish it went away.
This is clearly a YMMV. I've been on the 763, 772 and 773 (not yet 781) and I would take the new seat every time.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Originally Posted by st530
This is clearly a YMMV. I've been on the 763, 772 and 773 (not yet 781) and I would take the new seat every time.
I would agree. Hard product is much better then predecessor products. Food has really gone down hill since launch and from predecessors.
Artpen100 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Consensus seems to now be:
Polaris lounge food is good; Polaris in-flight food is bad.

Prediction: United will reduce food quality in the Polaris lounges also to "offer a more uniform & consistent traveling experience to our most valued customers".
Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by narvik
Prediction: United will reduce food quality in the Polaris lounges also to "offer a more uniform & consistent traveling experience to our most valued customers".
Like it's been at SFO since Day 1.
narvik and findark like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.