Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Nearly Completed: United Begins Rolling Out PDE to 'Dark' 737 Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2016, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: GMoneyCO
If you fly on one of the 737s where PDE is active, please post a report on what it was like, stability, etc. Some rumors have said that it will be DirecTV streamed to your device while other rumors say it will be stored content like the other aircraft with PDE (e.g. 319/320, 757, 777, etc.).

Definitions:
--"Dark" 737: No flight entertainment (e.g. seat back AVOD, PDE, etc), just wifi for internet and in-seat power. More information on the "dark" planes can be found at: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nt-system.html
--PDE (Personal Device Entertainment): Movies, TV Shows, and Music, that can be streamed to your tablet or phone using the United App or a laptop using a web browser over the plane's wifi network. The content is stored locally on each plane and does not consume internet bandwidth. More information can be located at: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...rtainment.aspx

PDE Rollout Status Update as of July 16, 2016:

737-700: 87.5% showing PDE (7 of 8) - 3720, 3734-3736, 3751, 3753, 3754
737-800: 100% complete
737-900: 100% complete

UA's Installation Progress Site (Use the installation status section at the bottom of the page): https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...rtainment.aspx
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2016, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) | National Exec Elite | Global Entry | HH Silver

This will be good news for all of us that fly the "dark" 737 fleet. It appears that United has started rolling out PDE across the dark 737 fleet.

Last edited by GMoneyCO; May 30, 2016 at 5:01 pm Reason: Migration of content from the first post to the wiki
Old May 29, 2016, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Thanks for starting this thread, will be good to keep track.

Am I right to assume the 737s that currently have DirectTV on the seat backs won't be getting the PDE at all. Meaning those aircraft will only have the pay-for DirectTV only? Any plans once the dark birds are all converted and stable to convert the DirecTV birds to streaming?
Old May 29, 2016, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Thanks for starting this thread, will be good to keep track.

Am I right to assume the 737s that currently have DirectTV on the seat backs won't be getting the PDE at all. Meaning those aircraft will only have the pay-for DirectTV only? Any plans once the dark birds are all converted and stable to convert the DirecTV birds to streaming?
Correct aircraft with seatback DirecTV won't be getting PDE.
Old May 29, 2016, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Correct aircraft with seatback DirecTV won't be getting PDE.
Is the PDE version of DirecTv free or pay? If free then I would hope they make the setback version free also.
Old May 29, 2016, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
Is the PDE version of DirecTv free or pay? If free then I would hope they make the setback version free also.
Problem is the DirecTV deal was structured in a way that UA didn't pay for installation, and DirectTV gets a portion (or all?) of the revenue from passenger payments for the service.

PDE, at east IME, is sponsored by the Explorer Card (IIRC). Not sure if the DirectTV deal precludes a sponsorship arrangement like this or not, where part of the sponsorship revenue could go to them instead.
Old May 30, 2016, 9:45 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
If you want to capture data here, you may want to explain what a "dark" 737 is. Might not hurt to share what PDE means.

I'm taking a guess that I was on two flights that might have fit this topic:
  1. UA 568, 5/9/16 EWR-ATL
  2. UA 641, 5/14/16 IAD-BOS

Both flights I found the movie streaming to my phone to be working fine. I really like this form of entertainment and look forward to seeing it on more flights.
Old May 30, 2016, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PATRLR
If you want to capture data here, you may want to explain what a "dark" 737 is. Might not hurt to share what PDE means.
"Dark" means no streaming PDE.

That's approximately 80 739s, many of which are used on t-cons.
Old May 30, 2016, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) | National Exec Elite | Global Entry | HH Silver

I'm taking a guess that I was on two flights that might have fit this topic:
  1. UA 568, 5/9/16 EWR-ATL
  2. UA 641, 5/14/16 IAD-BOS

Both flights I found the movie streaming to my phone to be working fine. I really like this form of entertainment and look forward to seeing it on more flights.
Thanks for the feedback. I edited the first post to contain the definitions of "dark" vs. PDE.

Which category did your two flights fit?
Old May 30, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
isn't this all contained in the existing fleet thread?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...6-edition.html
Old May 30, 2016, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by riphamilton

Yes but I think this thread is for the 737s getting PDE
Old May 30, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GMoneyCO
Thanks for the feedback. I edited the first post to contain the definitions of "dark" vs. PDE.
I see that you did. Well done.

Which category did your two flights fit?
Well, I had movies streaming to my phone and I am pretty sure they were both 737s. So, I believe they were the PDE flavor.
Old May 30, 2016, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by riphamilton

Partially, The fleet thread is more focused on maintenance, mods, and other fleet specific news. This thread is focused on the rollout of PDE to the 737 fleet, experiences, stability, etc.
Old May 30, 2016, 5:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GMoneyCO
Partially, The fleet thread is more focused on maintenance, mods, and other fleet specific news. This thread is focused on the rollout of PDE to the 737 fleet, experiences, stability, etc.
And it's a subject of specific interest to many of us who have either flown a dark 739 or are concerned about being stuck on one in the future.

Definitely worthy of the separate thread.
Old May 30, 2016, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
I see that you did. Well done.

Well, I had movies streaming to my phone and I am pretty sure they were both 737s. So, I believe they were the PDE flavor.
What amazing odds you had to fly on two different PDE equipped 739 flights this month when only three aircraft reportedly have it!

I checked flightaware history and it does look like both of your flights were 739s so that's good to hear they are rolling it out on the dark 739s.

Any other details to add? Was it free like on the Airbus fleet? Was there live TV too or just the movies and prerecorded shows?
Old May 30, 2016, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I really like this form of entertainment and look forward to seeing it on more flights.
+1

I hope to see the rollout fast and efficient, just like UA always is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.