Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PROMOTION [targeted] - Extra RDMs for additional spend [May 25-Nov 30, 2016]

Old May 25, 2016, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
promo link
Terms and Conditions

* For this promotion, only dollars spent on the "fare" on eligible flights operated by United and United Express will qualify toward meeting spending milestones. Certain specialty tickets, including but not limited to unpublished, consolidator/bulk, group, tour and opaque fares, will not be counted towards spending milestones. Dollars spent on tickets purchased for flights operated by a Star Alliance member airline or a MileagePlus partner airline with tickets issued by United (ticket number starting with "016") will not qualify for this offer. The "fare" is the base fare of the ticket plus carrier-imposed surcharges, excluding any government-imposed taxes and surcharges. For tickets purchased in a currency other than U.S. dollars, we will convert the purchase to U.S. dollars using an industry-standard exchange rate. Please note that the price displayed when purchasing a ticket on united.com includes up to a 7.5% U.S. Federal Transportation Tax on the base amount of the fare on itineraries wholly within the United States. This tax also applies to certain itineraries between the United States and Canada or Mexico. The U.S. Federal Transportation tax will not count toward meeting any spending milestone.

** For this promotion, bonus award miles will be awarded for each spending milestone that has been met, subject to the terms and conditions. Milestone bonuses may be earned only once. Partial bonuses will not be awarded for members who don't reach a certain milestone. All calculations made in connection with this offer will be made by United MileagePlus® in its discretion and considered final.

Only original recipients of this email invitation can register and participate in this promotion.
Registration is required by November 15, 2016. Only tickets purchased and ticketed after registration and within the ticketing dates will qualify.
Ticketing and dates: May 25, 2016, through November 30, 2016.
Dollars earned toward this promotion will count as Premier® qualifying dollars toward MileagePlus Premier status qualification, but do not guarantee status. All other qualification requirements must be met for the applicable Premier® status.
This offer is not combinable with other non-combinable offers.
Bonus award miles will post to your account six to eight weeks after the promotion ends on November 30, 2016. Bonus will be calculated using the originally ticketed fares and/or fare classes, as applicable, and subsequent changes to any fares and/or fare classes as a result of itinerary changes, complimentary or paid upgrades, purchase of travel products (including but not limited to United ClubSM, Premier Access®, Award Accelerator®, Premier AcceleratorSM), irregular operations or otherwise will not be considered.

<redacted e-ticket verbiage>

If you received complimentary Premier status:

Your complimentary status is one level higher than the MileagePlus membership status reflected in your MileagePlus account on May 7, 2016. Your status will be not be increased to any other level in connection with this offer. If flights taken prior to May 7, 2016, are credited to your account after May 7, 2016, and result in you meeting the qualification requirements for a higher Premier status, your status will not be complimentarily upgraded again. Qualifying for a higher status level than the complimentary status awarded in connection with this offer requires meeting the published qualification thresholds for Premier status.
The complimentary status is valid through January 31, 2017.
A Premier membership card and kit will be not issued for the complimentary status period. Your new benefits will be reflected in your Mileage Plus account once you log in and you may enjoy Premier benefits on United- or United Express-operated flights by providing your account number when making reservations or at check-in.
During the complimentary status period, you may not have access to all reciprocal Premier benefits with United's partner airlines, including access to Star Alliance lounges.
Members will not receive Regional Premier Upgrades as part of this offer unless the published qualification thresholds for Premier Platinum status have been earned in the current year.
Offer is subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.

If you received an Economy Plus subscription:

The Economy Plus® subscription can be used only on flights operated by United and United Express in the 48 contiguous U.S. states (excluding Alaska and Hawaii).
The Economy Plus subscription is complimentary, and will not result in the subscriber earning Premier qualifying dollars. The subscription is neither changeable nor transferable.
The Economy Plus subscription is valid through January 31, 2017, and can be used to request an Economy Plus seat at no cost on flights between May 10, 2016, and January 31, 2017. Any flights taken after January 31, 2017, will not qualify under the Economy Plus subscription.
Economy Plus seats on qualifying flights can be selected on united.com at booking, after booking before check-in, during check-in or at a check-in kiosk in the airport. Economy Plus seat assignments are not guaranteed.
The subscriber's MileagePlus number must be included in the reservation in order to receive the subscription benefits.
Offer is subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.

<UA MP rules redacted>
Print Wikipost

PROMOTION [targeted] - Extra RDMs for additional spend [May 25-Nov 30, 2016]

Old Sep 9, 2016, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by cfischer
upfare counts
I know it does. My question is more concerning if the $$ spent that is being counted for this promotion is exactly equivalent to PQD on the eligible flights.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I know it does. My question is more concerning if the $$ spent that is being counted for this promotion is exactly equivalent to PQD on the eligible flights.
You mean Promotion Qualifying Dollars? My experience is that they are exact but I have not done anything out of the ordinary and all my flights are operated by UA.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 7:55 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Based on the eligibility tracker, it is counting flights I booked way before the promo began. I may end up with a tier or two of bonuses after all.

OTOH, UA definitely allocated PQDs lopsidedly to (ineligible) partners on a recent trip, with the UA-metal flights posting well less than .bomb had said they would, so it's karmic balance.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by exerda
Based on the eligibility tracker, it is counting flights I booked way before the promo began. I may end up with a tier or two of bonuses after all.

OTOH, UA definitely allocated PQDs lopsidedly to (ineligible) partners on a recent trip, with the UA-metal flights posting well less than .bomb had said they would, so it's karmic balance.
Yeah, there isn't much transparency. But assuming PQD is all that gets counted from hereon out, I will end up just above my second tier and be clocking 40k bonus miles...not bad for a promo I basically wrote off when it first came out.

My wife has a shot at getting 43k miles, but that is more dependent on her work travels.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 8:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Does anyone know if the dollars used for calculating this promo
are exactly equal to PQD? ...
... My question is more concerning if the $$ spent that is being counted for this promotion is exactly equivalent to PQD on the eligible flights.
IME yes - however the T&Cs state it is only UA-operated PQDs -- partner flight PQDs are not included.

... I just upfared a flight in November for $160 - bumped me up to F fare first class (so more PQMs), and it should mean I get an extra 24,000 RDM (so more than worth the $160).
IME upfares count
Old Sep 9, 2016, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I have had two fare changes count. No to change fees and probably no to upgrade "fees", but upfares seem to count.
turns out i may not need an upfare if things play out right... if i change the order of my trip and end up going to singapore in biz class, i may meet my $3500 threshold... by $1! That makes me feel a little uneasy so I'm hoping for a cheaper upfare on one of my two domestic flights coming up to give me more margin or for fares to inch up a little bit.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 10:06 am
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
Originally Posted by RedElmo
They look at your spending pattern and try to give you a little challenge.

My 1st threshold is $1k. This whole year I spent $600 with united because I took an emergency flight with united due to a snow storm in Denver. I'm normally a AA flyer. So $600? Giving me a $1k stretch goal. Makes sense. However I still haven't flown with UA sadly.
My experience seems to be similar.

I had emails turned off for United so I never got this offer, but an advert for it came up in my Facebook feed last night. I signed in and got:

$3,000 for 59,000
$6,000 for 88,000
$15,000 for 146,000

I have had no status on UA since 2014, but was 1K/CO Plat since about 2008 before, and have just been burning miles since then....

I did have a paid flight in business to India on UA/LH in March this year, so I have YTD PQD of around $4k. It was on UA ticket but 3 segments were on LH. So it does look like the $ amount for the lowest level is around my current spend this year.

I may end up with another flight to India before the deadlaine, so will need to make sure I get more of it on UA Metal to see if I can get to the $3k, I also need to meet the 4 segment minimum to get what would be Gold with a 2nd trip.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I registered for this promotion not long after it started, but should have read the T&Cs. I'm flying business to Spain via Frankfurt on LH, so even though it's nearly $2K in PQD, it won't count towards the promotion
Old Sep 15, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
It does not seem to be tracking right. If I count my PQD since I signed up, its around 3K maybe, but the site only shows 1K
Old Sep 15, 2016, 1:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by eng3
It does not seem to be tracking right. If I count my PQD since I signed up, its around 3K maybe, but the site only shows 1K
No partner flights, and T&Cs only covered flown flights purchased after signup.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Correct, I added up everything on my account after I signed up. (excluding one that was flown prior but credited the day after) No partner flights. No matter how I add, its a much larger number. Unless there is a 6week or so delay
Old Sep 15, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eng3
Correct, I added up everything on my account after I signed up. (excluding one that was flown prior but credited the day after) No partner flights. No matter how I add, its a much larger number. Unless there is a 6week or so delay
The purchase -- not just the flight -- has to be after the sign-up date.

In my case, the tracking website exactly matches the PQDs I've earned on qualifying tickets, and it's updated every time a qualifying flight posts.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 4:13 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jsloan
The purchase -- not just the flight -- has to be after the sign-up date.

In my case, the tracking website exactly matches the PQDs I've earned on qualifying tickets, and it's updated every time a qualifying flight posts.
My experience has been that flights purchased even before the sign-up date are counting for me; I have had flights booked in February and March but flown this summer count (according to the promo tracker). YMMV.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Well, I have a bit of a cool trip next week. I will hit all three of my milestones ($3k, $4k, and $5.5k for 12k, 18k, and 30k respectively) and Gold status during my DEN-IAH-LHR-IAH-DEN trip which will total a mileage credit of over 78,000 miles upon completion.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My first target is $12.5K. I'm only at $4.5K.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.