Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PROMOTION [targeted] - Extra RDMs for additional spend [May 25-Nov 30, 2016]

Old May 25, 2016, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
promo link
Terms and Conditions

* For this promotion, only dollars spent on the "fare" on eligible flights operated by United and United Express will qualify toward meeting spending milestones. Certain specialty tickets, including but not limited to unpublished, consolidator/bulk, group, tour and opaque fares, will not be counted towards spending milestones. Dollars spent on tickets purchased for flights operated by a Star Alliance member airline or a MileagePlus partner airline with tickets issued by United (ticket number starting with "016") will not qualify for this offer. The "fare" is the base fare of the ticket plus carrier-imposed surcharges, excluding any government-imposed taxes and surcharges. For tickets purchased in a currency other than U.S. dollars, we will convert the purchase to U.S. dollars using an industry-standard exchange rate. Please note that the price displayed when purchasing a ticket on united.com includes up to a 7.5% U.S. Federal Transportation Tax on the base amount of the fare on itineraries wholly within the United States. This tax also applies to certain itineraries between the United States and Canada or Mexico. The U.S. Federal Transportation tax will not count toward meeting any spending milestone.

** For this promotion, bonus award miles will be awarded for each spending milestone that has been met, subject to the terms and conditions. Milestone bonuses may be earned only once. Partial bonuses will not be awarded for members who don't reach a certain milestone. All calculations made in connection with this offer will be made by United MileagePlus in its discretion and considered final.

Only original recipients of this email invitation can register and participate in this promotion.
Registration is required by November 15, 2016. Only tickets purchased and ticketed after registration and within the ticketing dates will qualify.
Ticketing and dates: May 25, 2016, through November 30, 2016.
Dollars earned toward this promotion will count as Premier qualifying dollars toward MileagePlus Premier status qualification, but do not guarantee status. All other qualification requirements must be met for the applicable Premier status.
This offer is not combinable with other non-combinable offers.
Bonus award miles will post to your account six to eight weeks after the promotion ends on November 30, 2016. Bonus will be calculated using the originally ticketed fares and/or fare classes, as applicable, and subsequent changes to any fares and/or fare classes as a result of itinerary changes, complimentary or paid upgrades, purchase of travel products (including but not limited to United ClubSM, Premier Access, Award Accelerator, Premier AcceleratorSM), irregular operations or otherwise will not be considered.

<redacted e-ticket verbiage>

If you received complimentary Premier status:

Your complimentary status is one level higher than the MileagePlus membership status reflected in your MileagePlus account on May 7, 2016. Your status will be not be increased to any other level in connection with this offer. If flights taken prior to May 7, 2016, are credited to your account after May 7, 2016, and result in you meeting the qualification requirements for a higher Premier status, your status will not be complimentarily upgraded again. Qualifying for a higher status level than the complimentary status awarded in connection with this offer requires meeting the published qualification thresholds for Premier status.
The complimentary status is valid through January 31, 2017.
A Premier membership card and kit will be not issued for the complimentary status period. Your new benefits will be reflected in your Mileage Plus account once you log in and you may enjoy Premier benefits on United- or United Express-operated flights by providing your account number when making reservations or at check-in.
During the complimentary status period, you may not have access to all reciprocal Premier benefits with United's partner airlines, including access to Star Alliance lounges.
Members will not receive Regional Premier Upgrades as part of this offer unless the published qualification thresholds for Premier Platinum status have been earned in the current year.
Offer is subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.

If you received an Economy Plus subscription:

The Economy Plus subscription can be used only on flights operated by United and United Express in the 48 contiguous U.S. states (excluding Alaska and Hawaii).
The Economy Plus subscription is complimentary, and will not result in the subscriber earning Premier qualifying dollars. The subscription is neither changeable nor transferable.
The Economy Plus subscription is valid through January 31, 2017, and can be used to request an Economy Plus seat at no cost on flights between May 10, 2016, and January 31, 2017. Any flights taken after January 31, 2017, will not qualify under the Economy Plus subscription.
Economy Plus seats on qualifying flights can be selected on united.com at booking, after booking before check-in, during check-in or at a check-in kiosk in the airport. Economy Plus seat assignments are not guaranteed.
The subscriber's MileagePlus number must be included in the reservation in order to receive the subscription benefits.
Offer is subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.

<UA MP rules redacted>
Print Wikipost

PROMOTION [targeted] - Extra RDMs for additional spend [May 25-Nov 30, 2016]

Old May 27, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: United Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Uggh.

Milestone 1: spend $3,000 and earn 9,000 bonus award miles
Milestone 2: spend $4,000 total and earn 13,000 more award miles
Milestone 3: spend $5,500 total and earn 22,000 more award miles
Old May 27, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by minnyfly
Nothing for me. Bummer. Good chance I would paid more to fly UA on an upcoming trip.

The reports I'm seeing make sense. People don't realize that, by and large, promotions are not "fair and equal" and are intended to reward the "less deserving". If they were only designed for the best customers, it's like throwing money down a hole. Maybe the higher elites would rather have nothing...
My take on it is they variability is so broad, that it can be insulting to those at the top. If united simply had 4 different promos at different spend thresholds. E.g. $500 /1500 / 2500 (bottom threshold) and $15k / 20k / 25k (Top threshold) with 50k max to 150k max miles, but a constant upward sloping curvature. People would have been oh its a nice bonus.

But seeing the variability of one person 12k spend gets 210k miles vs. a 50k+ spend only getting 200k miles. Its a little disheartening, that the reward slopes can be inverted.
Old May 27, 2016, 10:26 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by oblisk
...But seeing the variability of one person 12k spend gets 210k miles vs. a 50k+ spend only getting 200k miles. Its a little disheartening, that the reward slopes can be inverted.
Exactly. I'm likely to hit my thresholds via normal spend (roughly double my $11K YTD spend) but the idea that my fiance is getting nearly the same amount of bonus miles basically for our one business class ticket to Europe this summer is a little tough to swallow. I can totally understand how a GS who's spend is 4x my own likely ~$20K annual spend would be equally as ruffled by my offer relative to theirs.
Old May 27, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
My take on it is they variability is so broad, that it can be insulting to those at the top. If united simply had 4 different promos at different spend thresholds. E.g. $500 /1500 / 2500 (bottom threshold) and $15k / 20k / 25k (Top threshold) with 50k max to 150k max miles, but a constant upward sloping curvature. People would have been oh its a nice bonus.

But seeing the variability of one person 12k spend gets 210k miles vs. a 50k+ spend only getting 200k miles. Its a little disheartening, that the reward slopes can be inverted.
If there were no inversion, you'd see upper elites getting crazy amounts of miles. And for some of them, hitting at least one target is already going to happen. So why would UA give hundreds of thousands of miles away with no benefit?

You can see that UA wanted to hand out a free ticket or two (but not 5 or 6) to everyone that was targeted. For a lowly GM or Silver, RDMs are "expensive", and loyalty is not worth much. Even a $2,000 threshold is high for some. But if they qualify for this, it's a nice incentive. Same goes for that $12Ker. $12,000 might be a bigger mountain for that member than $30,000 is for another.
Old May 27, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I haven't read the whole thread as I'm on PTO and not checking FT much right now.

I logged in just to see what ridiculous offer I would get. Does this take the cake for most ridiculous?

$33K = 48,000 miles
$37K = 72,000 miles
$41K = 120,000 miles

That's it. I'm already at 225K PQM and $35K+ spend.

Not a chance I will double my spend with this airline while they give away free status to everyone, including upgrading some from 1K to GS. I spent $64K last year and didn't get GS.

Please remove the "targeted" from the thread topic. This is clearly not a targeted promo as seemingly anyone can sign up using the link in the OP.

-RM
It's definitely targeted. In my HH two accounts got it (1K and nothing status) and four did not (1K for one and three nothing).
Old May 27, 2016, 11:30 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Does this mean the ticket MUST be bought through united.com? My company uses concur solutions and a third party agent to book the tickets will those spending qualify?

Start flying toward your spending milestones.
To be eligible, flights must be purchased after registration and flown before November 30, 2016.
Old May 27, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by minnyfly
If there were no inversion, you'd see upper elites getting crazy amounts of miles. And for some of them, hitting at least one target is already going to happen. So why would UA give hundreds of thousands of miles away with no benefit?
There are a number of fliers who are not eligible for this promotion, simply add those people who they think will already spend 50k+ on united for the remainder of the year to the list of excluded participants.

Because honestly if i am planning on spending 50k+ on air travel over the remainder of 2016, scheduling and hard product are most likely going to be dictating my spend, not an additional 200k RDM (or 70k RDM in one posters case).
Old May 27, 2016, 11:42 am

Programs: 2MM United, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Plat
Mine
$2,500 and earn 8K bonus miles
$3,000 and earn 12k bonus miles
$4,000 and earn 20k bonus miles
Old May 27, 2016, 11:51 am

Programs: *

Because honestly if i am planning on spending 50k+ on air travel over the remainder of 2016, scheduling and hard product are most likely going to be dictating my spend, not an additional 200k RDM (or 70k RDM in one posters case).
Another thing one has to consider is the value of the miles. For many high value flies, offers of RDMs are meaningless as they don't *value* them much and often might give them away to friends and family or just not use them. I have a colleague who has almost 2 million miles in his account - offering him another 200K if he spends 50,000 USD is unlikely to incentivize him.
Old May 27, 2016, 11:56 am

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Originally Posted by dank0014
UA, you are officially on crack for what you are offering me....
14,000 miles for $47,500 spend? This is ridiculous. If you charge the tickets on a Chase Explorer card, you get 95,000 miles.
Old May 27, 2016, 12:02 pm

There is so much variation in the dollars vs. miles thresholds I can only conclude one thing: this is UA's way of sniffing out FlyerTalk account names for those of us who like to complain.

With that said, my offer made sense based on my travel last year, but is unobtanium for my travel this year.

Milestone 1: spend $20,500 and earn 39,000 bonus award miles
Milestone 2: spend $23,000 total and earn 58,000 more award miles
Milestone 3: spend $28,000 total and earn 96,000 more award miles
Old May 27, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
For the record my offer is:

$6,000 for 11K miles
$6,500 for 16K miles
$8,000 for 26K miles

AW
Old May 27, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA GS
Ridiculous

Milestone 1: spend $25,500 and earn 46,000 bonus award miles
Milestone 2: spend $29,500 total and earn 69,000 more award miles
Milestone 3: spend $33,000 total and earn 114,000 more award mile
Old May 27, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Interesting: the numbers look different for different people, I did not see a mathcing pair (but I did not look hard). I wonder if the numbers uniquely identify the frequent flyer account.
Old May 27, 2016, 1:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FreFly
Interesting: the numbers look different for different people, I did not see a mathcing pair (but I did not look hard). I wonder if the numbers uniquely identify the frequent flyer account.
I have seen matches to my numbers.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 27, 2016 at 8:23 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.