Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PROMOTION [targeted] - Extra RDMs for additional spend [May 25-Nov 30, 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 25, 2016, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
promo link
Terms and Conditions

* For this promotion, only dollars spent on the "fare" on eligible flights operated by United and United Express will qualify toward meeting spending milestones. Certain specialty tickets, including but not limited to unpublished, consolidator/bulk, group, tour and opaque fares, will not be counted towards spending milestones. Dollars spent on tickets purchased for flights operated by a Star Alliance member airline or a MileagePlus partner airline with tickets issued by United (ticket number starting with "016") will not qualify for this offer. The "fare" is the base fare of the ticket plus carrier-imposed surcharges, excluding any government-imposed taxes and surcharges. For tickets purchased in a currency other than U.S. dollars, we will convert the purchase to U.S. dollars using an industry-standard exchange rate. Please note that the price displayed when purchasing a ticket on united.com includes up to a 7.5% U.S. Federal Transportation Tax on the base amount of the fare on itineraries wholly within the United States. This tax also applies to certain itineraries between the United States and Canada or Mexico. The U.S. Federal Transportation tax will not count toward meeting any spending milestone.

** For this promotion, bonus award miles will be awarded for each spending milestone that has been met, subject to the terms and conditions. Milestone bonuses may be earned only once. Partial bonuses will not be awarded for members who don't reach a certain milestone. All calculations made in connection with this offer will be made by United MileagePlus® in its discretion and considered final.

Only original recipients of this email invitation can register and participate in this promotion.
Registration is required by November 15, 2016. Only tickets purchased and ticketed after registration and within the ticketing dates will qualify.
Ticketing and dates: May 25, 2016, through November 30, 2016.
Dollars earned toward this promotion will count as Premier® qualifying dollars toward MileagePlus Premier status qualification, but do not guarantee status. All other qualification requirements must be met for the applicable Premier® status.
This offer is not combinable with other non-combinable offers.
Bonus award miles will post to your account six to eight weeks after the promotion ends on November 30, 2016. Bonus will be calculated using the originally ticketed fares and/or fare classes, as applicable, and subsequent changes to any fares and/or fare classes as a result of itinerary changes, complimentary or paid upgrades, purchase of travel products (including but not limited to United ClubSM, Premier Access®, Award Accelerator®, Premier AcceleratorSM), irregular operations or otherwise will not be considered.

<redacted e-ticket verbiage>

If you received complimentary Premier status:

Your complimentary status is one level higher than the MileagePlus membership status reflected in your MileagePlus account on May 7, 2016. Your status will be not be increased to any other level in connection with this offer. If flights taken prior to May 7, 2016, are credited to your account after May 7, 2016, and result in you meeting the qualification requirements for a higher Premier status, your status will not be complimentarily upgraded again. Qualifying for a higher status level than the complimentary status awarded in connection with this offer requires meeting the published qualification thresholds for Premier status.
The complimentary status is valid through January 31, 2017.
A Premier membership card and kit will be not issued for the complimentary status period. Your new benefits will be reflected in your Mileage Plus account once you log in and you may enjoy Premier benefits on United- or United Express-operated flights by providing your account number when making reservations or at check-in.
During the complimentary status period, you may not have access to all reciprocal Premier benefits with United's partner airlines, including access to Star Alliance lounges.
Members will not receive Regional Premier Upgrades as part of this offer unless the published qualification thresholds for Premier Platinum status have been earned in the current year.
Offer is subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.

If you received an Economy Plus subscription:

The Economy Plus® subscription can be used only on flights operated by United and United Express in the 48 contiguous U.S. states (excluding Alaska and Hawaii).
The Economy Plus subscription is complimentary, and will not result in the subscriber earning Premier qualifying dollars. The subscription is neither changeable nor transferable.
The Economy Plus subscription is valid through January 31, 2017, and can be used to request an Economy Plus seat at no cost on flights between May 10, 2016, and January 31, 2017. Any flights taken after January 31, 2017, will not qualify under the Economy Plus subscription.
Economy Plus seats on qualifying flights can be selected on united.com at booking, after booking before check-in, during check-in or at a check-in kiosk in the airport. Economy Plus seat assignments are not guaranteed.
The subscriber's MileagePlus number must be included in the reservation in order to receive the subscription benefits.
Offer is subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.

<UA MP rules redacted>
Print Wikipost

PROMOTION [targeted] - Extra RDMs for additional spend [May 25-Nov 30, 2016]

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2016, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
ETA: my wife got $2k/$2.5k/$5.5k --> 17k/26k/42k. Hard to understand why she gets the better offer when I am higher status and have spent quite a bit more this year...
Originally Posted by LIH
The entire point (IMHO) is to get you to think twice about booking away from UA for the next incremental flight. The offers are better for less frequent travelers because those people are, generally, less attached to UA from the get-go than a 1K (theoretically). Having signed up 8 different mileage plus numbers for this I would note that the best offer "ratio" (miles relative to spend) was for a brand new account that just started flying UA for business last year but has already exceeded last years' spend this year (though still small). I think they're targeting what they think are potential UA-converts or new customers who fly a multitude of airlines.

Oddly, one of those 8 accounts wasn't eligible. Though it currently has a UK-home address so there is a chance this was limited to US customers only.
This is the new United. Punish those that have stayed loyal and spent money with them. Reward those that stopped spending money.

Maybe they will get some new business. But they are also motivating many elites that actually earned their status to stop giving them incremental spend.
Old May 26, 2016, 6:58 am

Programs: UA Silver / FA
A little behind this year and just got this:

$1,500 -> 10k
$2,000 -> 15k
$3,500 -> 25k

Here's what I don't understand..

At the 10k milestone it's 15cpm, but if I spend more I get LESS value? 13cpm & 14cpm at the 25k level.

I already have 49k total EQM planned for the year, so only one more trip or SDC to keep Gold.. I doubt I spend more than $300 additional. Maybe I'll just drop to Silver and hope I get a "complimentary bump" next year!
Old May 26, 2016, 7:01 am

Programs: UA 1MM
I didn't get the email but the link worked for me.

$5000--->12k miles
$5500--->18K miles
$7500---->29k miles

Call me confused, I don't understand the logic of all the differently absurd milestones...
Old May 26, 2016, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Tblack15
A little behind this year and just got this:

$1,500 -> 10k
$2,000 -> 15k
$3,500 -> 25k

Here's what I don't understand..

At the 10k milestone it's 15cpm, but if I spend more I get LESS value? 13cpm & 14cpm at the 25k level.

I already have 49k total EQM planned for the year, so only one more trip or SDC to keep Gold.. I doubt I spend more than $300 additional. Maybe I'll just drop to Silver and hope I get a "complimentary bump" next year!
read the offer again ... it is an ADDITIONAL XXk miles @ the higher spent.
Old May 26, 2016, 7:05 am

For me, it's pitiful (and unlikely to be met):

=$3,500 --> 10,000 miles
+$4,000 --> 14,000 miles
+$5,500 --> 23,000 miles
Old May 26, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: UA 1MM
Not eligible. Grrrrrr
Old May 26, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
10000 / $2500
15000 / $3000
25000 / $4500

Not great though I might get there if I decide to keep flying UA some instead of completing the move to AS/AA.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:01 am

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Just got mine yesterday.

$500 for 10k miles
$1000 for 15k miles
$2500 for 25k miles

So spend $2500 and get 50k miles - not bad.

Silver by way of Marriott LTP.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:04 am

Premier Platinum
4130 PQD already in 2016

$7500 -- 9000 miles
$8000 -- 14000 miles
$9000 -- 23000 miles
Old May 26, 2016, 8:06 am

Mrs is Premier Silver
415 PQD already in 2016

$1500 -- 8000 miles
$2000 -- 12000 miles
$3000 -- 20000 miles
Old May 26, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
How will the PQDs be calculated on multi-carrier legs? e.g. if I do NYC -> FRA on united and FRA -> DUB on Frankfurt in Business, what proportion of the PQD will count towards this promo?
Old May 26, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by br2k
Strange promotion. Extra 10000 miles for $1K (15000 for $1500 and, inexplicably, 25000 for $3000 - why less?)

In any case, I was just pricing a ticket for a quick sushi run to Tokyo in the fall, which would get me those 10K miles. So, UA is at least $500-800 more than most competing airlines (even NH on a direct flight). $500 for 10K miles is 5 cents per mile, which is more than x2 the usual award accelerator offers when booking.
You get 50,000 free miles by applying Chase MP Explorer card.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:18 am

My platinum offer, if earned in entirety (unlikely) would be ~19 CPM
My wife's silver offer, only reachable with personal spend, would be 7.5 CPM

As others have mentioned, it seems sad that higher spend is rewarded less.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: UA*S, TK*G, BA G
Mine seems to be a lot more generous.

$500 -> 10,000 RDM
$1,000 -> 15,000 RDM
$2,500 -> 25,000 RDM
Old May 26, 2016, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tnmlyger
Mine seems to be a lot more generous.

$500 -> 10,000 RDM
$1,000 -> 15,000 RDM
$2,500 -> 25,000 RDM
50,000 RDM for $2500 spend (on top of the normal RDMs and PQMs), which is 5 cpm. Very low if we compare to the chart created.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.