Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Multi-city Award Itinerary and Miles Deduction

Old May 23, 2016, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold

I recently booked a multi-city itinerary from Southeast Asia to the West Coast in economy at the Saver Award level. 80k miles were suppose to be subtracted from my account, but only 40k miles were actually subtracted.

The reservation appears to be fully valid. I called to get reservation numbers from all the operating carriers, and the saudia website is showing all segments on the e-ticket as ticketed/paid for.

The flight involves TG Air Canada and UA. UA is only showing the AC reservation number but I was able to call TG to get the TG reservation number.

I know there have been issues reported before about UA not actually ticketing some award reservations. Should I call UA to confirm everything is OK? or keep my mouth shut and hope that I got a 50% discount on this award redemption?
Old May 23, 2016, 4:54 am

Programs: Marriott: Platinum Hilton: Diamond AC: 25K
I wonder if you paid this with a credit card that has travel insurance, if you would be cover if you have to buy a ticket. Also how full is the TG leg? can you book a flight the same day with your save points if the ticket was not issued?
Old May 23, 2016, 5:42 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Just make sure you keep the difference available and in your account in the event that UA catches up to you before or during your flights

After the flights are completed its up to you if you want to risk the account standing
Old May 23, 2016, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
My guess...UA will catch up with this in an audit at some point if it was ticketed properly.

While you may have PNRs on all the operating carriers, I would call each of them to also ensure they have the ticket numbers associated and confirmed. Ask them to read it back to you, and make sure it matches the ticket number UA sent you. It has happened before where they have a reservation (PNR) but not a ticket. In fact, many carriers, particularly Asian ones, will cancel the reservation (the portion on their metal, anyway) if there is no ticket attached to a reservation within [X] days. And if the space doesn't come back, you'll be SOL.
Old May 23, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
While you may have PNRs on all the operating carriers, I would call each of them to also ensure they have the ticket numbers associated and confirmed. Ask them to read it back to you, and make sure it matches the ticket number UA sent you. It has happened before where they have a reservation (PNR) but not a ticket. In fact, many carriers, particularly Asian ones, will cancel the reservation (the portion on their metal, anyway) if there is no ticket attached to a reservation within [X] days. And if the space doesn't come back, you'll be SOL.
This exact thing has happened to me with TG. I made a date change and UA "forgot" to re-ticket, but TG still had the PNR. Now I triple check everything.
Old May 23, 2016, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
@Nimitz yes, I believe the TG segments have lots of availability

The flights don't start until next week, so I guess United has time to fix.

The only weird thing is that via the saudia website, the eTicket's TG legs are showing as "under airport control"--but I'm not sure if that's typical or not.

The reservation is 6 total segments, and the TG customer service representative said something about each ticket # only supporting 4 segments, so I have 2 ticket numbers 016 XXXXX XXX25 and 016 XXXXX XXX26. Does that seem normal?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.