Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New Future Flight Status Tool (presently non-operative)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Future Flight Status Tool (presently non-operative)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by danthflyer
www.cablepick.net/united is not working for me this evening (the page loads, but when I submit the form, it just goes to a blank UA form). Anyone else?
Unfortunately it stopped working a couple of days ago the UA Flight Status page was changed.
danthflyer likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Unfortunately it stopped working a couple of days ago the UA Flight Status page was changed.
Do we understand if this was an intentional move by UA to cut off the tool, or just a side effect of the website change meant to refresh the style of the page?
Old Jul 26, 2019, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Starman
Do we understand if this was an intentional move by UA to cut off the tool, or just a side effect of the website change meant to refresh the style of the page?
Unknown, as they've not communicated anything, just removed the old version.

The new style is clearly a new API, and it appears to have been designed not to give any information for flights more than a few days in the future. They have been slowly refreshing the whole website, but likely there was some intention to cut off access to future flight info. So let's hope they don't update the app API any time soon.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The date range parameter was intentionally restricted to the next several days. I doubt the previous behavior was ever intended -- the old tool was really just exploiting a missing bounds check in the older software.

UA's not going to come out and tell us if the change is because a new software/QA engineer or project manager was more diligent or if they were intentionally trying to limit access to the data.
Syzygies likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Originally Posted by jsloan
The date range parameter was intentionally restricted to the next several days. I doubt the previous behavior was ever intended -- the old tool was really just exploiting a missing bounds check in the older software.
Yes, for years I've been constructing URLs for future flight status (e.g. for a private web page showing my travel plans to friends):

Code:
www.united.com/web/en-US/apps/travel/flightstatus/results.aspx?
FLN=616
&
FLD=6/20/2019
&
FSO=SFO
&
FSD=ORD
An app always struck me as overkill for constructing sentences like this (no X-Authorization-api tricks needed).

In any case, now broken.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 12:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
My guess it was collateral damage.

UA has slowly been revamping sections of their website. My guess, the changes are for what UA believes are visual improvements and for the ability to deliver to a variety of screen sizes and shapes from a single code set -- this is a common update for websites.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: CO Gold
Is cablepick.net/united down?

It doesn't seem to work any more. It brought me to the https://www.united.com/en/us/flightstatus which only allows me to search for the flights departing in the next couple days. Anyone else having the same problem?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 26, 2019 at 3:36 pm Reason: moved to exisiting thread
Old Jul 26, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by needHelp
It doesn't seem to work any more. It brought me to the https://www.united.com/en/us/flightstatus which only allows me to search for the flights departing in the next couple days. Anyone else having the same problem?
Yes, the problem started a few days ago.

Discussed in the following thread: "New future flight status tool".
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lt Plt
Has anyone been able to figure out a solution or alternative for this?
Thanks
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MrCUBS
Has anyone been able to figure out a solution or alternative for this?
Thanks
AFAIK, no.

UA changed some things with flight status, and now does a current date check to not allow the status to be seen more than 2 days in advance. That means even with the correctly formatted URL, UA.com will just forward you back to the main flight status search page if you look beyond 2 days ahead.

People have supposedly had luck on the UA app after changing the current date/time on their phone to day of/before flight, which is a potential work around (if you don’t mind all the push notifications for meetings, etc. that would surely come through for everything between current date and that date of flight). YMMV.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:44 pm

Programs: mileage plus
I am looking at some long itineraries to upgrade with GPU's and tried to use the go-to tool:

https://www.cablepick.net/united

To check premium cabin inventory, in those cases where UAL.com grays it out. But...

She's Dead Jim!!!!

Is this tool dead for good, or is there an alt that I missed?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 12, 2019 at 10:24 pm Reason: moved to exisiting thread
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lt Plt
Originally Posted by emcampbe

AFAIK, no.

UA changed some things with flight status, and now does a current date check to not allow the status to be seen more than 2 days in advance. That means even with the correctly formatted URL, UA.com will just forward you back to the main flight status search page if you look beyond 2 days ahead.

People have supposedly had luck on the UA app after changing the current date/time on their phone to day of/before flight, which is a potential work around (if you don’t mind all the push notifications for meetings, etc. that would surely come through for everything between current date and that date of flight). YMMV.
Thanks.
Move used the UA app trick, but the problem is con can only do it for one or two flights at a time. Because the “past date” flight get deleted and need to add them again.

It it is a shame they changed it. Was a great tool
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:23 am

Where can I check available seat count in first class, this website seems no longer working for future flights (+3 days): https://www.cablepick.net/united
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAFAM
Where can I check available seat count in first class, this website seems no longer working for future flights (+3 days): https://www.cablepick.net/united
You can't, unless you want to set your phone to a future date and use the UA app.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by villox

there is a trick on the United app where if you set your phone’s clock to a date in the future, the app will let you query the status for a flight on or around that date. If you then subscribe to push notifications for that flight, it will stay there in flight status even when you set your clock back to the correct date.

i use this all the time to monitor seat maps and upgrades for future flights.
Yeah I've been using this method ever since the tool broke. Downside: it could clear all future travel you have under "my trips" tab in the app even after you set the date on your phone back to the correct date. It's sort of annoying but seems to be the only workaround for now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.