TSA Pre Check VS Elite Line

Old May 19, 16, 3:12 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
TSA Pre Check VS Elite Line

Just checked in for my flight tomorrow. Since we are in FC, we get access to premier line in security, but we also got TSA Pre on the boarding pass. Which is normally faster?
Old May 19, 16, 4:11 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
In general, Pre-check is faster, but if you want more specific opinions about the airport you are leaving from, and perhaps a particular time of day as well, you'd have to provide us more information. Regardless, the fact that Pre-check allows keeping the shoes on, leaving the laptop in the bag, skipping the whole body scanner, etc., has been enough to keep me happily in the Pre-check lane even though the general line ended up being faster, which can and has happened.
Old May 19, 16, 5:18 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott Titanium (LT Plat), Hilton Gold
Check out this thread. In the Wiki at the top of the page, locate your airport to determine the hours of PreCheck, as well as whether you're getting full PreCheck or a "Lite" version (like at Terminal A in Newark) where you leave your shoes on but have to take your laptop out.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rs-2016-a.html
Old May 19, 16, 6:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by seat38a View Post
Which is normally faster?
Pre.
Old May 19, 16, 6:41 am
QBK

Programs: UA 1K + UC + 0.94MM, Marriott/Hiltongold, National EE
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Pre.
+1.

Look at the length of the line when you get there. If by some chance the TSA Pre line is at least 2-3x as long as the elite line, then the elite line might be faster (Pre line moves faster). This essentially never happens, so with very high probability the Pre line is the right choice.
Old May 19, 16, 8:46 am

Programs: Global Entry
Originally Posted by QBK View Post
+1.

Look at the length of the line when you get there. If by some chance the TSA Pre line is at least 2-3x as long as the elite line, then the elite line might be faster (Pre line moves faster). This essentially never happens, so with very high probability the Pre line is the right choice.
Yup. Just thining of the Pre line a couple days ago in Ohare, it was stretching out by the ticket counter. The Premier line was way shorter length wise, and I was through that in less than 10.
Old May 19, 16, 9:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by SPLITTERZ View Post
Yup. Just thining of the Pre line a couple days ago in Ohare, it was stretching out by the ticket counter. The Premier line was way shorter length wise, and I was through that in less than 10.
Counter point. ORD this morning 8ish.. TSA Pre in term 1 was a third of what was in the premier lines. Maybe 5-7 min. to get through
Old May 19, 16, 9:04 am

it all depends on where you're flying form and time of day. two weeks ago - on sunday may 8, my partner and I were flying from ORD T1 UA to DCA. 6PM flight. I had pre check, he had access to the elite line. We entered our respective lines at 4:30pm - 90 minutes before our flight. I got through pre check in 40 minutes. He did NOT get out of the elite line before 6PM and missed the flight, and was rebooked for the 9PM flight. Not good. So it really depends on time of day and where you are.
Old May 19, 16, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by QBK View Post
+1.

Actually in Newark, twice I've seen Premier be faster than Pre. (C3). But as with all TSA, it's all a little weird - as both times, the normal large lanes (regular) were closed, and there were manned stations only for Premier/Star Fast Track and Pre.
Old May 19, 16, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott T, HH D, IHG SA.
depends on airport... Like PHL, I haven't experienced that there are more than 5 people in front of me in premier access line, but Pre still could have a long line.
Old May 19, 16, 10:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by NH_Clark View Post
Counter point. ORD this morning 8ish.. TSA Pre in term 1 was a third of what was in the premier lines. Maybe 5-7 min. to get through
I was in the same line, at the same time, probably headed to the same place. Couldn't believe how quick the queue was.

Was that you on UA532 who just switched seats for that nice couple in F? I noticed an FT tag on your bag.
Old May 19, 16, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
If the OP is flying out of LAX, a complicating factor is the construction and seemingly constant reorganization of the check-in area there. At one point, comparing the premier and pre-check lines took a good deal of walking back and forth, as the two were separated by quite a bit. Now I'm not even sure where the premier check-in security lane is at LAX terminal 7 (I used pre-check my last trip ... that's how quickly things are changing there).
Old May 19, 16, 12:04 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Pre +3

No contest. Shoes on, laptop in bag. Pre is always faster.
Old May 19, 16, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Hard to know for sure because OP hasn't told us which airport he's flying from, but as a general matter Pre-Check can throughput at 7-8 x the speed now that most of the "managed inclusion" is gone. Add to that the time it takes to put shoes back on and repack things and it's even faster to get out of the checkpoint.

Thus, even when there's a long Pre line I'll stick with it because it almost always moves fast.
Old May 19, 16, 2:09 pm

Programs: 2017: UA 1K, Hyatt "Glob" (ugh, for the last year probably), Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond
You're not gonna judge speed by length of the line. Pre usually moves much faster than the Premier line even if it's longer.

Best scenario though is what I do at Denver. Clear + Pre. Nothing like cutting to the front of the Pre line.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: