FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Using PlusPoints on NH / ANA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1765892-using-pluspoints-nh-ana.html)

Atuchan Feb 1, 2022 2:17 pm

Apology if this was discussed beforehand as I could not find the right answer.

I was wondering how to change LH codeshared flight number to original NH flight number to apply the PP for upgrade. I understand if the flight is UA code-shared, one could call the UA to change the flight number to original carrier's flight number (back to either NH or LH flight number).
Can you do the same for the LH? If I book a flight on LH and if the segment (e.g.; HND-FRA) is booked with LH code-shared flight number, can I call LH to change it back to the original NH flight number so that I could apply PP?

dkc192 Feb 1, 2022 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Atuchan (Post 33955142)

I was wondering how to change LH codeshared flight number to original NH flight number to apply the PP for upgrade. I understand if the flight is UA code-shared, one could call the UA to change the flight number to original carrier's flight number (back to either NH or LH flight number).
Can you do the same for the LH? If I book a flight on LH and if the segment (e.g.; HND-FRA) is booked with LH code-shared flight number, can I call LH to change it back to the original NH flight number so that I could apply PP?

Since this is fundamentally a question about LH's ability to make modifications to an LH-issued ticket, you're probably best off asking in the LH forum.

cfischer Feb 1, 2022 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Atuchan (Post 33955142)

No, you can't do that with LH the same way you can with UA. Best is to find a TA who can issue the ticket with a native NH flight number.

Atuchan Feb 27, 2022 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 33955931)
No, you can't do that with LH the same way you can with UA. Best is to find a TA who can issue the ticket with a native NH flight number.

Thank you for the answer. So it is much more complicated process than UA,than,

WineCountryUA Feb 27, 2022 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Atuchan (Post 34030896)
Thank you for the answer. So it is much more complicated process than UA,than,

Probably better said is once issued you will unlikely be able to get it changed, so you need get the original ticket correctly issued. But no post-issued changes likely.

Atuchan Mar 6, 2022 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 34030952)
Probably better said is once issued you will unlikely be able to get it changed, so you need get the original ticket correctly issued. But no post-issued changes likely.

Thank you for your help.

Actually, instead of getting LH flights from US to Japan and risk being stranded in Europe due to recent Ukrainian crisis, I wounded up booking code shared NH flight from UA and get an upgrade on NH flight. The process of converting the UA code shared flight number to NH nativel number was quite long.. First 1K agent took about an hour and did it for me but apparently since I jumped the gun in ordering NH upgrade right after getting the ticket receipt, the ticket was not reissued properly. I did not realize this until I could not get upgrade on my return UA native flight on the UA website and I called 1K agent for help. Another nice 1K agent was very patient and she fixed the the issue but it too more than 90 minutes to solve that (I felt really sorry for her for that) and get ticket reissued.

I received my ticket recipe with all the upgrade properly registered but I noticed that the mileage accrual and plus point accrual as "0" for the upgraded NH flight. Does this mean that I need to reconcile the discrepancy after I take the flight through UA website?

WineCountryUA Mar 6, 2022 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Atuchan (Post 34053886)
I received my ticket recipe with all the upgrade properly registered but I noticed that the mileage accrual and plus point accrual as "0" for the upgraded NH flight. Does this mean that I need to reconcile the discrepancy after I take the flight through UA website?

Likely a common problem that generally will clearup eventually but even if it does not, it almost always posts correctly
Incorrect / Ineligible projected earning information showing on my itinerary

uastarflyer Apr 5, 2022 3:18 am

Can PlusPoints be used to upgrade an NH segment from Premium Economy (R fare) to Business like it can on UA metal? I have not seen this in any FAQ

UA_Flyer Apr 5, 2022 8:15 am

I have been having problem getting the UA upgrade site to accept my NH booking.

I have confirmed with NH my B fare booking is in its system, but UA website site keeps saying record is not found.

dkc192 Apr 5, 2022 10:03 am

Originally Posted by uastarflyer (Post 34138029)
Can PlusPoints be used to upgrade an NH segment from Premium Economy (R fare) to Business like it can on UA metal? I have not seen this in any FAQ

Two issues here:

1) If your segment is booked in R, then you are on a UA codeshare. You'd first need to get UA to switch you over to the NH prime flight number.
2) R is the lowest PE fare class, and it maps over to NH N class, which is not eligible for Plus Points upgrades. You'd need to upfare to G or E class.

UA_Flyer Apr 5, 2022 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192 (Post 34138939)
Two issues here:

1) If your segment is booked in R, then you are on a UA codeshare. You'd first need to get UA to switch you over to the NH prime flight number.
2) R is the lowest PE fare class, and it maps over to NH N class, which is not eligible for Plus Points upgrades. You'd need to upfare to G or E class.

Is this easy to do? Does it only simply require a call to UA to make the change?

uastarflyer Apr 5, 2022 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192 (Post 34138939)
Two issues here:

[

thanks - I saw language to that effect just now on the website

I couldn’t find this level of detail on United.com, or anything about UG from PE to J on ANA using PPs

So I guess G=A and E=O? And is it 30 points like with UA metal longhaul? My example is NRT-SIN

WineCountryUA Apr 5, 2022 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer (Post 34140598)
I couldn’t find this level of detail on United.com, or anything about UG from PE to J on ANA using PPs

So I guess G=A and E=O? And is it 30 points like with UA metal longhaul? My example is NRT-SIN

Much of *A use G/E/N for PremEcom while UA using O/A/R
G==O
E==A
N==R

For partners it is 40 PlusPoints for upgrades to business, regardless if purchased ticket is economy or premium economy. UA on its metal provides a discount if in PremPlus

cfischer Apr 6, 2022 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer (Post 34138585)
I have been having problem getting the UA upgrade site to accept my NH booking.

I have confirmed with NH my B fare booking is in its system, but UA website site keeps saying record is not found.

B should be easy. If it has an NH flight #. You need to use the NH PNR and not the UA PNR. Should work.

uastarflyer Apr 6, 2022 8:47 pm

Thanks for crowd sourcing the answers for me :tu:

I felt guilty booking SFO-NRT-SIN with SFO-NRT on UA metal (I wanted to try NH if I could UG to J) but looks like with my cheap R fare I could only use PlusPoints on UA metal.

Now if the UG doesn’t clear I’ll be slightly P’d in PP….