Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2017, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MBS MillionMiler
Upgrading on flights operated by ANA
PlusPoints can be used on flights operated by All Nippon Airways (ANA) for one-segment, one-cabin upgrades on any multi-cabin international flight operated by ANA and marketed by ANA or United. Upgrades are subject to availability and valid for paid, published fares only. The following ANA fare classes are eligible for PlusPoints upgrades: B, C, D, E, G, J, M, U, Y and Z. PlusPoints can’t be used to upgrade from Economy to Premium Economy on ANA-operated flights. Please see the terms and conditions below for specific eligibility rules.
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
The PlusPoints upgrade system with NH/LH appears to be a slightly modified version of the star alliance upgrade award system (using PP instead of miles obviously). Given Z is a valid booking code on NH for a SAUA, not really surprising if there was an oversight in adapting the system to work for PlusPoints upgrades and someone forgot to either add Z-fare being allowed in the official T&C, or forgot to take Z-fares out when the upgrade request system validates the booking code.

Each NH/ANA segment requires an unique GPU. A a single GPU can not be used for two ANA segment nor for a connecting UA segment

Summary of Practical Advice from this thread:

* If you have bought a ticket from United (e.g., cause you want PQDs), you likely have UA codeshares of NH-operated flights. However, only NH-ticketed flights can have upgrades requested. When you have these flights, you need to call United (e.g., the 1K desk) and tell them you want to use GPUs on this itinerary. What they will do is modify your ticket so that the codeshares are replaced with the native flight numbers. This takes 10-15 minutes. You will still need to separately request the upgrades using the United GPU request form (link below) for LH/ANA flights.

* The web form will ask for information from your ticket. You will need to enter the NH flight numbers. Also it will ask for your confirmation code and can use the United-issued confirmation code (not the NH confirmation code)

* You should be able to verify in advance whether the upgrade is going to clear based on NH inventory. I class is for Y->J upgrades and O class is for J->F. These are also the business and first 'saver' award buckets, and can be estimated by doing phantom bookings of award travel for the same flights. If saver awards are showing up the classes should be available. Expertflyer and other sites can also show the availability.

* The T&Cs suggest that you cannot request upgrades until 8 weeks before the flight, but various flyertalkers have confirmed upgrades beyond the 8 week window.

* If your upgrade is not confirmed, you can keep trying before the flight. Waitlisting is now an option (for NH/ANA)

* There seems to be mixed opinion on whether O and I class inventory is put back into the system as the flight gets closer, but several have reported finding inventory show up 2-3 weeks before the flight.

* Fare mapping from ANA to UA:
J/C/D/Y/B = J/C/D/Y/B
G/E = O/A

Below are various T&Cs from United relevant to the applicability of fares, etc, copied from the website.

updated May 2023
  1. Upgrades are valid only on ANA.
  2. Requests for upgrades can be made after you have purchased your ticket. Upgrades can be requested until 24 hours prior to departure. Your MileagePlus account number and password are required to complete the request.
  3. PlusPoints upgrades may not be requested when you travel on industry discount, agency discount, deeply discounted promotional tickets, award tickets using miles, or tickets purchased on websites where you don’t know the exact flight itinerary or airline until after you’ve paid for the ticket.
  4. ANA may impose blackout periods where upgrades are not permitted.
  5. You may request PlusPoints upgrades for up to four people traveling on the same reservation. The amount of PlusPoints required is listed per passenger for each itinerary and deducted at time of request; to upgrade additional people, you’ll need to use additional PlusPoints. (If the reservation has more than four travelers, you will need to call the operating carrier.) You do not need to be traveling with the passengers to request the upgrades and you can request upgrades for travelers with a different last name than yours.
  6. While you can only request upgrades for one segment at a time, you may upgrade more than one eligible segment on the itinerary.
  7. Double upgrades from Economy to First are not permitted on three-cabin aircraft.
  8. Standby is not permitted, but waitlisting is permitted. Waitlisting is now an option (for NH/ANA)
  9. An upgrade may be confirmed within eight weeks of departure, if a seat is available.
  10. Mileage accrual is based on the original ticketed booking class, not the upgraded class of service.
  11. Requests for seat assignments, special meals and amenities should be made directly with the operating carrier.
  12. If you wish to make changes or cancel your PlusPoints upgrade request, please contact ANA.
  13. If an ANA segment of your itinerary is canceled, the upgrade request for that segment will also be automatically canceled. Your PlusPoints will be automatically redeposited 24 to 48 hours after the cancellation.
  14. PlusPoints upgrades are not available through general selling agents.
How to request

Once the ticket has been issued, requests can be made online through the Global Premier Upgrade on ANA or Lufthansa request page. You can make upgrade requests for ANA-operated flights beginning eight weeks before departure until up to 24 hours before departure. You can make upgrade requests for Lufthansa-operated flights beginning 331 days before departure until up to 10 hours before departure.

You may request Global Premier Upgrades for up to four people traveling on the same reservation. You will need one Global Premier Upgrade for each traveler. (If the reservation has more than four travelers, you will need to call ANA or Lufthansa.) You do not need to be traveling with the passengers to request the upgrades and you can request upgrades for travelers with a different last name than yours. While you can only request upgrades for one segment at a time, you may upgrade more than one eligible segment on the itinerary.

If upgrade space is available at the time of the request and the requester chooses to confirm the upgrade, United will automatically deduct Global Premier Upgrades from the requester's MileagePlus account.

How to request for codeshare flights

If you are traveling on an ANA- or Lufthansa-operated codeshare flight with a United flight number, upgrades may be available and can be requested by calling 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331) within the U.S. and Canada, elsewhere call your local United Customer Contact Center.
Acrhive: Using PlusPoints on NH / ANA {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Using PlusPoints on NH / ANA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2024, 1:53 pm

So I have an ANA ticket class Z I want to upgrade to first class. For one of the segments, it says to add to the waitlist; for other segments, HND-JFK says an upgrade is available. I tried upgrading and got the following message: "We have experienced a technical problem. If you have not received this message before, please try your request again. If you have received this error previously, please call 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331) within the U.S. or Canada, or call your local Customer Contact Center."

I called United, and they don't know what is going on. I can see in my plus points activity that United is deducting and returning the 40-plus points. Does this mean that first class is full? it's showing 3 revenue seats available, and does this mean waitlisting is also full?
Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:19 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I updated the wiki for NH, which didn’t specifically list Z fares as being eligible in the quote (but a comment below saying people had success…) It’s now published on the UA site that Z fares are indeed upgradable, ending any ambiguity.

This will be my first attempt to use PPs outside of United; so I’m very unfamiliar with this. I haven’t pulled the trigger yet to buy the ticket yet, as I have a few questions, which I’d love help with, please and thank you!

Z fare on an NH operated, but United codeshare. Looks like I have to call to convert it to an NH flight number, which I’d do shortly after the ticket issues, is there a chance for a fare change? I saw some instances of that in the thread, but should I worry if I’m doing it relatively quickly after purchase?

This whole 8 weeks thing. I saw mixed reports. The flight isn’t until October, but currently shows O9, which leads me to believe the upgrade would clear instantly, basically, if I applied it right now. EDITED TO ADD: My error of reading UA’s codeshare buckets as NH’s led me to this erroneous conclusion. Indeed, there are not 9 seats in F for sale, since apparently the most any plane has is 8!

If it doesn’t clear right away, I see people talking about not getting waitlisted or something due to the inability to request within 24 hours. Does this mean that if I don’t clear at the 24 hour mark, I won’t get upgraded?

It’s ORD-NRT, I can use the Polaris lounge at ORD, right? What about the ANA F lounge at NRT? I’m connecting onward, internationally on ANA in Business.

Thanks!
nexus7556 likes this.

Last edited by MBS MillionMiler; Mar 28, 2024 at 8:53 pm
Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
It's just a 1:1 code swap - should be no fare change.
NH actually processes the upgrades and issues upgrade success notifications, not UA - so maybe not instantaneous.
If upgrade not forthcoming prior to 24 hours out, no upgrade.
Not sure about NRT F lounge access based on arrival F, departure J (I am just aisle traffic in ANA F)

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Mar 28, 2024 at 7:31 pm
Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Z fare on an NH operated, but United codeshare. Looks like I have to call to convert it to an NH flight number, which I’d do shortly after the ticket issues, is there a chance for a fare change? I saw some instances of that in the thread, but should I worry if I’m doing it relatively quickly after purchase?
There's always a chance of a problem, but that chance is smaller if the flight currently shows Z inventory under its prime (NH) code.

It’s ORD-NRT, I can use the Polaris lounge at ORD, right?
Yes.

The flight isn’t until October, but currently shows O9, which leads me to believe the upgrade would clear instantly, basically, if I applied it right now.
You need to look at the ANA inventory, not the UA inventory -- and you won't be able to find it on United.com. The O9 you're looking at is UA's most expensive PE fare class -- equivalent of NH G -- not F awards. ANA doesn't operate a plane with more than 8 F seats, so there's no way you'd ever see O9 under the NH code.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
This whole 8 weeks thing. I saw mixed reports. The flight isn’t until October, but currently shows O9, which leads me to believe the upgrade would clear instantly, basically, if I applied it right now.
Glad UA is now showing Z as eligible with +Ps as well. O9 cannot be true. The first cabin has 8 seats You are probably looking at the UA codeshare inventory
Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:48 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Wow, thank you everyone for your insight.
Originally Posted by cfischer
Glad UA is now showing Z as eligible with +Ps as well. O9 cannot be true. The first cabin has 8 seats You are probably looking at the UA codeshare inventory
I probably am. Searched the non-stop on United.com and yeah, I combed over the fare buckets it displayed. Mea culpa.

Despite being a 15-years consecutive 1K, 20+ here on FT; On top of never applying PPs (or previously GPUs/SWUs) on another carrier, I’ve also never flown on NH! (I’ve always opted for UA metal as I chase my 2nd million)…This is all virgin territory to me. Thanks for your patience!
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler (Post # 261)
Despite being a 15-years consecutive 1K, 20+ here on FT; On top of never applying PPs (or previously GPUs/SWUs) on another carrier, I’ve also never flown on NH! (I’ve always opted for UA metal as I chase my 2nd million)…This is all virgin territory to me. Thanks for your patience!
Enjoy the view of the camera looking down below the landing gear, on takeoff and landing.

Very wise choice indeed on prioritizing the UA mileage accrual.
MBS MillionMiler likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
A word of caution, once you have flown NH First there is no going back. Don't say I didn't warn you
MBS MillionMiler and Xyzzy like this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 2:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by carlosiah
So I have an ANA ticket class Z I want to upgrade to first class. For one of the segments, it says to add to the waitlist; for other segments, HND-JFK says an upgrade is available. I tried upgrading and got the following message: "We have experienced a technical problem. If you have not received this message before, please try your request again. If you have received this error previously, please call 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331) within the U.S. or Canada, or call your local Customer Contact Center."

I called United, and they don't know what is going on. I can see in my plus points activity that United is deducting and returning the 40-plus points. Does this mean that first class is full? it's showing 3 revenue seats available, and does this mean waitlisting is also full?
I repeatedly get this same message! I've called MP service center, 1K desk, both multiple times. Once someone in MP service center connected me to ANA, which I knew wouldn't work Finally I did get someone who sounded like she was very experienced at 1K desk. She said that "this is expected behavior." She said that back in the day when you needed to call in to apply upgrades on ANA, she would encounter this as well. She said there were basically three outcomes: 1) upgrade is confirmed, 2) upgrade is waitlisted, 3) that error message. So it's not behavior that's been designed for, but behavior which she's come to expect - and it was frustrating for her as well when she had to explain to customers that the upgrade is neither confirmed nor waitlisted. She even checked with another experienced agent who said that it simply happens. She even read through every one of the rules to double check that I had an eligible ticket, that it was within the validity period of requesting upgrades, etc. She said my only choice would be just to keep trying, even every day.

I'm curious in your case, when is the flight you're trying to upgrade? The flight I'm trying to upgrade is in October. Rules say I can already request the upgrade. One thing that I'm hoping for is when I get closer to October, e.g. 8 weeks out, that there's a lesser likelihood of getting the error messge.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I bet the problem is on ANA’s end and there’s nothing UA can do to fix it. UA system is interfacing w/ ANA’s to tell you upgrade is available when it’s not. If there are only 3 seats left and the flight isn’t fairly soon, I’d be surprised 😯 f an upgrade seat is actually available. ANA is stingy with early upgrades even with wide-open cabins a month out.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I bet the problem is on ANA’s end and there’s nothing UA can do to fix it. UA system is interfacing w/ ANA’s to tell you upgrade is available when it’s not. If there are only 3 seats left and the flight isn’t fairly soon, I’d be surprised 😯 f an upgrade seat is actually available. ANA is stingy with early upgrades even with wide-open cabins a month out.
For me, the problem isn't actually that UA is telling me that upgrade is available. It's telling me that 1) it has found the reservation, but 2) upgrade is not available at the moment, then it says, 3) while upgrade is not available, we can put you on the waitlist (which is allowable on ANA). I click on "Add to waitlist," then it shows me the error message "We have experienced a technical problem." Similar as the previous poster, I can see in my account that the PlusPoints were deducted and then immediately redeposited. With ANA, PlusPoints are deducted when put onto waitlist, so something is happening, but somehow not successful...
Old Apr 2, 2024, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by flaii
I repeatedly get this same message! I've called MP service center, 1K desk, both multiple times. Once someone in MP service center connected me to ANA, which I knew wouldn't work Finally I did get someone who sounded like she was very experienced at 1K desk. She said that "this is expected behavior." She said that back in the day when you needed to call in to apply upgrades on ANA, she would encounter this as well. She said there were basically three outcomes: 1) upgrade is confirmed, 2) upgrade is waitlisted, 3) that error message. So it's not behavior that's been designed for, but behavior which she's come to expect - and it was frustrating for her as well when she had to explain to customers that the upgrade is neither confirmed nor waitlisted. She even checked with another experienced agent who said that it simply happens. She even read through every one of the rules to double check that I had an eligible ticket, that it was within the validity period of requesting upgrades, etc. She said my only choice would be just to keep trying, even every day.

I'm curious in your case, when is the flight you're trying to upgrade? The flight I'm trying to upgrade is in October. Rules say I can already request the upgrade. One thing that I'm hoping for is when I get closer to October, e.g. 8 weeks out, that there's a lesser likelihood of getting the error messge.
My trip is in six weeks. However, now, when I try applying plus points to my ANA ticket, it gives me the message that "no upgrade is available and no waitlist is available."
I have had a similar experience using plus points for Copa Airlines. My strategy is to try every day up to 24 hours before my trip. With Copa, I figured out that upgrades with plus points usually become available five days before the trip, which is the same time that Copa starts upgrading its elite members.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by flaii
For me, the problem isn't actually that UA is telling me that upgrade is available. It's telling me that 1) it has found the reservation, but 2) upgrade is not available at the moment, then it says, 3) while upgrade is not available, we can put you on the waitlist (which is allowable on ANA). I click on "Add to waitlist," then it shows me the error message "We have experienced a technical problem." Similar as the previous poster, I can see in my account that the PlusPoints were deducted and then immediately redeposited. With ANA, PlusPoints are deducted when put onto waitlist, so something is happening, but somehow not successful...
Another interesting data point: My flight JFK-HND has 7 revenue first-class seats, and I was able to waitlist for first class. However, the HND-JFK has 3 revenue first-class seats, and I am not able to waitlist. It will be interesting to know how many people are already on the waitlist, maybe this influence the ability to waitlist. I read before that you can call ANA to ask about how many people are on the list. I am just too lazy to do it because ANA takes a long time to answer their phone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.