Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2017, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MBS MillionMiler
Upgrading on flights operated by ANA
PlusPoints can be used on flights operated by All Nippon Airways (ANA) for one-segment, one-cabin upgrades on any multi-cabin international flight operated by ANA and marketed by ANA or United. Upgrades are subject to availability and valid for paid, published fares only. The following ANA fare classes are eligible for PlusPoints upgrades: B, C, D, E, G, J, M, U, Y and Z. PlusPoints can’t be used to upgrade from Economy to Premium Economy on ANA-operated flights. Please see the terms and conditions below for specific eligibility rules.
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
The PlusPoints upgrade system with NH/LH appears to be a slightly modified version of the star alliance upgrade award system (using PP instead of miles obviously). Given Z is a valid booking code on NH for a SAUA, not really surprising if there was an oversight in adapting the system to work for PlusPoints upgrades and someone forgot to either add Z-fare being allowed in the official T&C, or forgot to take Z-fares out when the upgrade request system validates the booking code.

Each NH/ANA segment requires an unique GPU. A a single GPU can not be used for two ANA segment nor for a connecting UA segment

Summary of Practical Advice from this thread:

* If you have bought a ticket from United (e.g., cause you want PQDs), you likely have UA codeshares of NH-operated flights. However, only NH-ticketed flights can have upgrades requested. When you have these flights, you need to call United (e.g., the 1K desk) and tell them you want to use GPUs on this itinerary. What they will do is modify your ticket so that the codeshares are replaced with the native flight numbers. This takes 10-15 minutes. You will still need to separately request the upgrades using the United GPU request form (link below) for LH/ANA flights.

* The web form will ask for information from your ticket. You will need to enter the NH flight numbers. Also it will ask for your confirmation code and can use the United-issued confirmation code (not the NH confirmation code)

* You should be able to verify in advance whether the upgrade is going to clear based on NH inventory. I class is for Y->J upgrades and O class is for J->F. These are also the business and first 'saver' award buckets, and can be estimated by doing phantom bookings of award travel for the same flights. If saver awards are showing up the classes should be available. Expertflyer and other sites can also show the availability.

* The T&Cs suggest that you cannot request upgrades until 8 weeks before the flight, but various flyertalkers have confirmed upgrades beyond the 8 week window.

* If your upgrade is not confirmed, you can keep trying before the flight. Waitlisting is now an option (for NH/ANA)

* There seems to be mixed opinion on whether O and I class inventory is put back into the system as the flight gets closer, but several have reported finding inventory show up 2-3 weeks before the flight.

* Fare mapping from ANA to UA:
J/C/D/Y/B = J/C/D/Y/B
G/E = O/A

Below are various T&Cs from United relevant to the applicability of fares, etc, copied from the website.

updated May 2023
  1. Upgrades are valid only on ANA.
  2. Requests for upgrades can be made after you have purchased your ticket. Upgrades can be requested until 24 hours prior to departure. Your MileagePlus account number and password are required to complete the request.
  3. PlusPoints upgrades may not be requested when you travel on industry discount, agency discount, deeply discounted promotional tickets, award tickets using miles, or tickets purchased on websites where you don’t know the exact flight itinerary or airline until after you’ve paid for the ticket.
  4. ANA may impose blackout periods where upgrades are not permitted.
  5. You may request PlusPoints upgrades for up to four people traveling on the same reservation. The amount of PlusPoints required is listed per passenger for each itinerary and deducted at time of request; to upgrade additional people, you’ll need to use additional PlusPoints. (If the reservation has more than four travelers, you will need to call the operating carrier.) You do not need to be traveling with the passengers to request the upgrades and you can request upgrades for travelers with a different last name than yours.
  6. While you can only request upgrades for one segment at a time, you may upgrade more than one eligible segment on the itinerary.
  7. Double upgrades from Economy to First are not permitted on three-cabin aircraft.
  8. Standby is not permitted, but waitlisting is permitted. Waitlisting is now an option (for NH/ANA)
  9. An upgrade may be confirmed within eight weeks of departure, if a seat is available.
  10. Mileage accrual is based on the original ticketed booking class, not the upgraded class of service.
  11. Requests for seat assignments, special meals and amenities should be made directly with the operating carrier.
  12. If you wish to make changes or cancel your PlusPoints upgrade request, please contact ANA.
  13. If an ANA segment of your itinerary is canceled, the upgrade request for that segment will also be automatically canceled. Your PlusPoints will be automatically redeposited 24 to 48 hours after the cancellation.
  14. PlusPoints upgrades are not available through general selling agents.
How to request

Once the ticket has been issued, requests can be made online through the Global Premier Upgrade on ANA or Lufthansa request page. You can make upgrade requests for ANA-operated flights beginning eight weeks before departure until up to 24 hours before departure. You can make upgrade requests for Lufthansa-operated flights beginning 331 days before departure until up to 10 hours before departure.

You may request Global Premier Upgrades for up to four people traveling on the same reservation. You will need one Global Premier Upgrade for each traveler. (If the reservation has more than four travelers, you will need to call ANA or Lufthansa.) You do not need to be traveling with the passengers to request the upgrades and you can request upgrades for travelers with a different last name than yours. While you can only request upgrades for one segment at a time, you may upgrade more than one eligible segment on the itinerary.

If upgrade space is available at the time of the request and the requester chooses to confirm the upgrade, United will automatically deduct Global Premier Upgrades from the requester's MileagePlus account.

How to request for codeshare flights

If you are traveling on an ANA- or Lufthansa-operated codeshare flight with a United flight number, upgrades may be available and can be requested by calling 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331) within the U.S. and Canada, elsewhere call your local United Customer Contact Center.
Acrhive: Using PlusPoints on NH / ANA {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Using PlusPoints on NH / ANA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2023, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by BigDFlyer
I believe Z class is not upgradable but please correct me if I am wrong since I also have the chance to fly ANA in Z in a few weeks.
Nonsense. Z-class is upgradable. Please read the wiki. Just put it in ...

Originally Posted by techtwink
Does anyone have experience applying Plus Points to an ANA-operated flight with the UA codeshare flight number? I know the consensus here is that you should call to convert the flight numbers, but I have a round trip itinerary on 016 stock where both segments are ANA-operated, and UA won’t let me change the ticket such that none of the segments have UA flight numbers; they only let me change one segment. (This was true across multiple agents.)

The website says that “upgrades may be available” for codeshare flights if you call, but I’m curious if anyone’s done it before.
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Must be on the true flight number to upgrade, the "may be available" is that they will convert from the codeshare to true flight number if booking code is available. However ticketing policy still requires, outside of IRROPs, that at least one UA flight number be on the ticket in some form. So you would need either a UA/UA* connection on one of the directions, or have to book direct with ANA to get the NH flight numbers for both segments if those are the only flights on your itinerary.
That is complete and utter nonsense, Of course you can convert these tickets where after conversion you only have NH flights remaining. There is absolutely no rule whatsoever that prevents this. Should be zero issues getting this converted.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Well, if you're not upgraded and on the right 777 aircraft you'll be in The Room. The Suites is the NH F product on those aircraft. Sadly, Z is nt upgradeable.
Interestingly, and as some have posted above, I booked in Z and tried to apply an upgrade, and am on the waitlist. So it seems sometime Z works.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigDFlyer
Interestingly, and as some have posted above, I booked in Z and tried to apply an upgrade, and am on the waitlist. So it seems sometime Z works.
Z is not sometimes upgradable. Z is always upgradable!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by cfischer
Z is not sometimes upgradable. Z is always upgradable!
That's good to know because n the UA page for ANA upgrades it says, "The following ANA fare classes are eligible for PlusPoints upgrades: B, C, D, E, G, J, M, U and Y."
Old Sep 9, 2023, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
That's good to know because n the UA page for ANA upgrades it says, "The following ANA fare classes are eligible for PlusPoints upgrades: B, C, D, E, G, J, M, U and Y."
Z has been upgradable for many years (as seen in this thread and the +P success thread). Not listed ... correct. Doesn't make it ineligible.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and play like this.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 2:44 pm

"Since you have a duplicate reservation, this reservation can only be viewed. Please contact the travel agency through which the reservation was made to change your reservation and register your information...."

I unfortunately now show 2 confirmed segments! I tried calling ANA but was on hold for 1.5 hours and gave up! Does this resolve itself? Any advice?
Old Sep 11, 2023, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by play
"Since you have a duplicate reservation, this reservation can only be viewed. Please contact the travel agency through which the reservation was made to change your reservation and register your information...."

I unfortunately now show 2 confirmed segments! I tried calling ANA but was on hold for 1.5 hours and gave up! Does this resolve itself? Any advice?
More details needed. Upgrade is waitlisted? Upgrade got confirmed? At booking or from the waitlist?

Yes, you'd want to ultimately get this cleaned up - is the first flight on ANA?
Old Sep 11, 2023, 4:54 pm

the upgrade cleared subsequent to booking so now I have 2 "OK", before it showed "waitlisted" - first flight is United, this means I am going to get ping pong between the two carriers I think - i have a segment in Z and another in O

I have upgraded with Z a few times even though UA page says, "The following ANA fare classes are eligible for PlusPoints upgrades: B, C, D, E, G, J, M, U and Y."

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 11, 2023 at 8:07 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 16, 2023, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cfischer
Of course you can convert these tickets where after conversion you only have NH flights remaining. There is absolutely no rule whatsoever that prevents this. Should be zero issues getting this converted.
Thanks — based on your reply, I tried again and this time the agent was able to do it, after a 20 min hold with the "support desk". The previous 3-4 agents I called all cited the same rule though, that there needed to be at least one UA-marketed flight on the ticket. (In the past, I've also gotten pushback from agents that there needed to be one UA-operated flight on the ticket... which is obviously untrue.)
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and cfischer like this.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by play
the upgrade cleared subsequent to booking so now I have 2 "OK", before it showed "waitlisted" - first flight is United, this means I am going to get ping pong between the two carriers I think - i have a segment in Z and another in O

I have upgraded with Z a few times even though UA page says, "The following ANA fare classes are eligible for PlusPoints upgrades: B, C, D, E, G, J, M, U and Y."
Z is not the problem here. Having 2 'OK' is not good; both native NH flight numbers? Can you get 2 seats?

It might be o.k. checking in with UA - where and how are you connecting? I had a different problem that NH was able to resolve at the airport (took 1/2 hr), but I have not yet needed to resolve a 2 'OK' segments problem with NH. The closest I have seen was an old segment (prior to ticket change; flight was cancelled) persisting on the NH side ... and they were able to take care of it at check-in.

Originally Posted by techtwink
Thanks — based on your reply, I tried again and this time the agent was able to do it, after a 20 min hold with the "support desk". The previous 3-4 agents I called all cited the same rule though, that there needed to be at least one UA-marketed flight on the ticket. (In the past, I've also gotten pushback from agents that there needed to be one UA-operated flight on the ticket... which is obviously untrue.)
There are more and more untrained agents. I must have close to 100 tickets with no UA segments (after flight # conversions) - most of my Europe travel looks like that. UA can plate these no problem - TA rules don't apply to them. Of course they won't sell you these tickes outright, but it is within rules when doing a 'flight number conversion' for the purpose of upgrading a JV partner flight.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and techtwink like this.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 3:22 pm

Programs: United 1K/*G, HHonors Platinum
Just to support the experience that "more and more untrained agents..."

I had called earlier about converting to NH codes on a RT LAX-TYO 016 ticket and the agent at the time and the help desk had said I had to call my travel agent and that the travel agent would have to re-issue the ticket with native NH numbers. Upon contacting the travel agent, he said "at least one leg must be on UA metal".

Calling UA again (long live HUCA), a different agent and help desk combo easily did the conversion in five minutes. Now the waiting game begins.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and techtwink like this.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by selo
Just to support the experience that "more and more untrained agents..."

I had called earlier about converting to NH codes on a RT LAX-TYO 016 ticket and the agent at the time and the help desk had said I had to call my travel agent and that the travel agent would have to re-issue the ticket with native NH numbers. Upon contacting the travel agent, he said "at least one leg must be on UA metal".

Calling UA again (long live HUCA), a different agent and help desk combo easily did the conversion in five minutes. Now the waiting game begins.
I have heard the 'the TA needs to do this' nonsense as well. I usually just HUCA and hope to get an educated agent. Worst I had was '3 calls needed', but I fear it'll get worse and worse w/ UA not investing in training these days. I have even had 'supervisors' tell me 'it can't be done' ...
SPN Lifer, selo and techtwink like this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
I put in a PlusPoints upgrade request online for an ANA flight from NRT to ORD. Space was not available so I was added to the waitlist. The upgrade cleared about 8 days before departure (yesterday), and today I posted about it here. I received an E-mail that I cleared the waitlist and was able to select seats on the ANA website. I was quite pleased.

An hour ago, I received an E-mail from United of a schedule change. Nothing seemingly changed (flight times, flight number, or equipment) except I was moved back to coach. It shows this downgrade both on UA.com and ANA.com. I just called United and they (the agent and her supervisor) can't figure out what happened and can't do anything either. The PlusPoints were automatically refunded.

My only recourse is to reapply for the upgrade. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Pretty disappointing!

Update: 15 minutes ago, the upgrade was not available. I just checked again and the upgrade was available and cleared. Sure hope it sticks, very bizarre.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 5:34 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1k since 2010
Hi I’m trying to request a PlusPoint upgrade for an ANA-operated flight NH889 departing on 2nd December (HND-SYD). When I fill out the form, it gives me the following message confirming the availability of upgrade.

However, when I click on “Confirm upgrade”, it then gives me this following error message:

I tried this numerous times and called 1k premier support desk and talked to several agents, none of them able to assist me and have given me all sort of random guesses. I also called ANA support team (horrible wait times of more than an hour each time I call) and they blamed it on the United's system. Has anyone had a similar issue or know what the solution is? It seems unfair that I am not allowed to use Plus Points due to the technical error.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure ... upgrade space doesn't seem to be available for that flight according to EF. Maybe a glitch? And because it thinks it is available it doesn't go to the WL option?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.