Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OTG Coming to IAH

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2016, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Eadward
That annoyed the crap out of me, but the way around that is to "run a tab" - you get your food before closing out the check and can adjust the tip for the service received, or not, as the case may be.
My solution is to whenever possible NT patronize TG establishments.
Old May 15, 2016, 6:19 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
I absolutely despise OTG. I have yet to have a smooth, seamless experience at their "restaurants." I asked a manager at an OTG restaurant early on in EWR (former Mexican place) if OTG is a food service company or a technology company. He said "both." Tough to have two missions, and they fail on both, IMHO.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:17 am

Arrived into IAH E this morning and see that two of the main moving walkways are being replaced by OTG restaurants. I don't use the walkways much, but it will drive more foot traffic into areas shared with those horrid golf carts. Yay.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Originally Posted by sapman986
Arrived into IAH E this morning and see that two of the main moving walkways are being replaced by OTG restaurants. I don't use the walkways much, but it will drive more foot traffic into areas shared with those horrid golf carts. Yay.
They were just starting to put up the wall last Thursday night. The walls were already up in the middle of teh concourse that serves E3, E5, etc. (the one with Pappadeaux). The horrible "OTG experience" is certainly spreading like a cancer. I can just about see the "Now metastasizing in terminal E!" sign nw...
Old Apr 26, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: AS MVP 75k, *G LT, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
They were just starting to put up the wall last Thursday night. The walls were already up in the middle of teh concourse that serves E3, E5, etc. (the one with Pappadeaux). The horrible "OTG experience" is certainly spreading like a cancer. I can just about see the "Now metastasizing in terminal E!" sign nw...
If it helps get rid of those ridiculous golf carts with their obnoxious drivers I will support it.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Terence.Hill
If it helps get rid of those ridiculous golf carts with their obnoxious drivers I will support it.
I would bet it just makes then more obnoxious as there will be reduced space for everyone.

There is nothing good about OTG infecting an airport.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On the contrary, with fewer moving sidewalks more people will need the golf carts and (as nted above) there will be less space available -- shared between carts and people.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by goodeats21
There is nothing good about OTG infecting an airport.
Agreed. While I don't underscore the fact that adding OTG to EWR has significantly made Term C seem less dated, I just want the ability to go to a fast food service counter, place an order, pick up food, and then head to the gate. One might argue, you can do that with OTG....yes you can. But it comes at a significant markup and has, in my opinion, reduced the variety of food options available. Not everyone wants a GMO-free, organic, Kale/quinoa, veggie burger priced at $15. Sometimes I want Popeyes or Panda Express. Heck even getting a slice of pizza. I don't go to the airport for a gourmet experience. And it's even worse if you have kids. I have a 3 and 2 year old.....while they eat better than most kids and don't have a diet built around junk food, traveling with them is much easier if I can just grab some chicken McNuggets at McDonalds instead of free-range toasted tofu bits. If they want to remove the bulk of fast food hell, then fine do it. But at least leave some standard options.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:42 am

It is interesting that you say that. The drivers at IAH are much better mannered than those at EWR. They actually say please occasionally.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
...traveling with them is much easier if I can just grab some chicken McNuggets at McDonalds instead of free-range toasted tofu bits.
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-G6I63-9hs...range_tofu.jpg

Originally Posted by sapman986
The drivers at IAH are much better mannered than those at EWR. They actually say please occasionally.
Maybe the drivers at EWR are that way because of OTG.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
Sometimes I want Popeyes or Panda Express. Heck even getting a slice of pizza.
Yup - thing I miss most about EWR is being able to get a slice from Famous Famigla. And Ben & Jerry's.

At least I appreciate that at YYZ, they left some of the stuff there. Yeah, OTG took away many of the gate seats, at least there is some stuff. They left Tim Horton's, I think the burger place next to it is still there, and I think there's a couple of places further down (Plus Great Canadian Bagel is still in the barn). Also, only the OTG stuff by the gates has the iPads to order - definitely The Upper Crust and whatever the pizza place is called, you order at the counter.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Honestly I don't at all get the need for OTG at IAH Term E. There are plenty of food options already and the walk from the 20-gates concourse to baggage claim at C and/or the parking garage is pretty hefty already and will be worse without those walkways. Not very (IAH-)flyer friendly.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by st530
Honestly I don't at all get the need for OTG at IAH Term E. There are plenty of food options already and the walk from the 20-gates concourse to baggage claim at C and/or the parking garage is pretty hefty already and will be worse without those walkways. Not very (IAH-)flyer friendly.
OTG isn't put in because of the need for more options - its put in because its a cheaper way for airlines/airports to get terminals 'modernized'. Don't know exactly how it works - but i suspect it works something like this: Airline/airport pays X to outsource the terminal, area, or whatever to OTG. OTG takes over the concourse and puts $ into revamping the given area, builds it's knockoff restaurants in every nook and cranny, puts its iPads in for ordering. So how does OTG make money? By charging 1.5 to 2 x the amount even by airport standards for its mediocre food.

Arguably, YYZ could've used other options. EWR was great before, even if the terminal itself was dated, IME. Don't know IAH as well, but from my few experience they seemed to be fine there. If ORD gets OTG'd at some point and they take away Frontera, I may start flying AA so I can stay within T3.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by st530
Honestly I don't at all get the need for OTG at IAH Term E. There are plenty of food options already....
That's not the point. OTG goes in and replaces the options that are already there. Say goodbye (eventually) to Panda Express - probably the best deal at IAH E (relative to airport mark-up).
Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:08 pm

Fixed

Last edited by ViewFromTheSky; Oct 10, 2020 at 1:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.