Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page > UA doing some targetted MP up-status changes [May, 10, 2016]

UA doing some targetted MP up-status changes [May, 10, 2016]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 27, 16, 2:00 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Surface Interval
Wiki Link
May 2016 -- UA ran a targeted (unknown numbers) program to provide status bumps for some.

This included
- Some GM receiving a free E+ subscription,* some given Silver or Gold
- Some Silvers were bumped to Premier Gold status
- Some Golds were bumped to Premier Platinum status (no RPUs)
- Some Plats were bumped to Premier 1K status (no RPUs, no GPUs)

(* If given an E+ subscription, it will not appear under the "Subscriptions" section in one's MP account, but a message appears during the booking process that confirms E+ seats are available to such people. The E+ subscription is good only for U.S. flights, and maybe only for continental U.S. flights.)

Status bumps appear to generally be 1 level but there have been some reportedly 2 levels bumps (too small in number to have a high confidence level).
These status bumps are effective until end of January 2017.

The status bumps are only effective on UA/UX flights and does not include a bump in *A status. No MP card with bumped status will be provided (limiting ability to use for *A lounge access per UA e-mail). NOTE: there are a few reports of peoples digital cards reflecting the gifted bump in status. 2nd NOTE: There are also reports that the bumpees are getting the *A status associated with their bump in status.

No reports of equivalent bumps to GS.

Some were notified by email -- others noticed their bumps by viewing their online account.

The quantity, demographics or reason for this target promo have not be announced by UA. UA has acknowledged the program on some social media outlets (Twitter Link 1, Twitter Link 2, ...) More details can be found on this UA offer page TB3330. UA has suggested posting feedback at https://unitedairtime.com .
Print Wikipost

Old May 10, 16, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Exclamation UA doing some targetted MP up-status changes [May, 10, 2016]

Went to check seats for our flight tomorrow and logged into my wife's account first. It says she is now Premier GOLD. We have flown twice this year, LAS to EWR in March, EWR to LAS last week. We go back to EWR tomorrow. In her life time she has been Silver twice, once two years ago and now again this year. Now suddenly she is Gold...not sure why but thank you UA. I was able to snag E+ seats before t-24. The stranger thing, I few more than her last hear, have been Elite/Premier for over 25 years running and I am still Silver.....Anyone have any ideas? Our UA Chase Visa is in her name but.....
Old May 10, 16, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K/GS, MR Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat
Same thing happened here, I've been 1K/GS for about 10 years. My wife has been Silver twice including this year. I just logged in and they've gifted her gold status through this year. We do have the United Club card but it is in my name with her as an additional card member.
Old May 10, 16, 9:59 am

Same thing happened to me - literally watched it change on the app as I was going to check some seat assignments.
Old May 10, 16, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Thanks for letting me know...I did go ahead and grab E+ seats on some other flights we have coming up this year just in case our MUAs don't clear. Doubt tomorrow's will clear with only two seats left in F right now. Others are too far out to even guess.
Old May 10, 16, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, RCR Platinum Premier (Lifetime Platinum), SPG Platinum, Identity Platinum
Are any of you (or your spouse) Platinum Premier with Marriott? When I first qualified for PP last year, I had only made Silver with United. From February through mid-May I was United Silver. Around May 15, my MP account was upgraded from Silver to Gold - with no fanfare. I just logged in one morning and saw the upgrade. (For those not aware, PP provides UA Gold as part of RewardsPlus, even though it is not formally documented anywhere).
Old May 10, 16, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, PriorityClub Plat, HHonors Gold
I have seen the same thing, My account shows 1K , up from Plat, office colleague shows Plat up from Gold.
I would guess this will disappear, soon.
Old May 10, 16, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by TommyC80 View Post
Are any of you (or your spouse) Platinum Premier with Marriott? When I first qualified for PP last year, I had only made Silver with United. From February through mid-May I was United Silver. Around May 15, my MP account was upgraded from Silver to Gold - with no fanfare. I just logged in one morning and saw the upgrade. (For those not aware, PP provides UA Gold as part of RewardsPlus, even though it is not formally documented anywhere).
Not quite sure if this is a one-time thing for you or not, but the rewards plus site clearly states "For Marriott Rewards members who are Platinum Elite (including Platinum Premier and Ritz Carlton Rewards Platinum), the RewardsPlus program offers complimentary Premier Silver status in the MileagePlus program (registration required). The status is valid for the remainder of the calendar year in which the status is granted. Marriott Rewards members who have temporary Platinum Elite status due to the Marriott Rewards Taste of Elite program are not eligible for RewardsPlus complimentary status."
Old May 10, 16, 10:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, PriorityClub Plat, HHonors Gold
After further review, the United site congratulates me on my special gift, 1K status through January 2017. I have yet to see the GPU's post however. It would be nice if they do, otherwise it is just accelerated earning for the rest of the year, and a shiny new bag tag!
Old May 10, 16, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; DL Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123 View Post
Not quite sure if this is a one-time thing for you or not, but the rewards plus site clearly states "For Marriott Rewards members who are Platinum Elite (including Platinum Premier and Ritz Carlton Rewards Platinum), the RewardsPlus program offers complimentary Premier Silver status in the MileagePlus program (registration required). The status is valid for the remainder of the calendar year in which the status is granted. Marriott Rewards members who have temporary Platinum Elite status due to the Marriott Rewards Taste of Elite program are not eligible for RewardsPlus complimentary status."
There was a period last year during which Marriott Platinum Premier were comped to UA Gold. It was much discussed in the MR forum.
Old May 10, 16, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Any chance that her employer recently signed a contract w. UA or is negotiating w. UA for a contract?

Ultimately she may simply fit a demograhphic UA wants in the fold and the way to do jump start that is with Gold.
Old May 10, 16, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123 View Post
Yes, but PP is an unpublished invitation only level above Platinum in the Marriott program, just like GS is not the same as 1K on UA.
Old May 10, 16, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Otis432 View Post
After further review, the United site congratulates me on my special gift, 1K status through January 2017. I have yet to see the GPU's post however. It would be nice if they do, otherwise it is just accelerated earning for the rest of the year, and a shiny new bag tag!
Based on this post, I don't think this upgrade in Premier levels has anything to do with Marriott - I've also gotten a bump up and I've stayed at a Marriott twice. IIRC, a similar thing happened last year and corrected a day or so later - but above has me wondering if it might be real this time around.

I would suggest mods change the thread title to be more descriptive.
Old May 10, 16, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat, CO Plat, NW Plat, SPG Plat-50, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I was Platinum yesterday, and am Platinum today. Thanks for nothing United!

(In fairness, I did FlexEQM up to Plat anyway...)
Old May 10, 16, 12:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HH Gold
Just checked my account for fun and am now showing with Silver status. I had 0 EQMs in 2015 (and 0 in 2016). Was a Gold a couple of years back and just burning my miles on award flights at this point.

I had to call about a schedule change and asked the rep. She said they got an email yesterday that United was awarding a number of E+ memberships or status updates over the next few days. She said my Silver is good through the end of this year.
Old May 10, 16, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by G2244 View Post
Just checked my account for fun and am now showing with Silver status. I had 0 EQMs in 2015 (and 0 in 2016). Was a Gold a couple of years back and just burning my miles on award flights at this point.

I had to call about a schedule change and asked the rep. She said they got an email yesterday that United was awarding a number of E+ memberships or status updates over the next few days. She said my Silver is good through the end of this year.
I can only cross my fingers that I get it over the next couple of days as I'm still showing Silver. I head to LHR on Saturday and the chance to get E+ is looking slim.

Search this Thread