Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA doing some targetted MP up-status changes [May, 10, 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 12, 2016, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Surface Interval
May 2016 -- UA ran a targeted (unknown numbers) program to provide status bumps for some.

This included
- Some GM receiving a free E+ subscription,* some given Silver or Gold
- Some Silvers were bumped to Premier Gold status
- Some Golds were bumped to Premier Platinum status (no RPUs)
- Some Plats were bumped to Premier 1K status (no RPUs, no GPUs)

(* If given an E+ subscription, it will not appear under the "Subscriptions" section in one's MP account, but a message appears during the booking process that confirms E+ seats are available to such people. The E+ subscription is good only for U.S. flights, and maybe only for continental U.S. flights.)

Status bumps appear to generally be 1 level but there have been some reportedly 2 levels bumps (too small in number to have a high confidence level).
These status bumps are effective until end of January 2017.

The status bumps are only effective on UA/UX flights and does not include a bump in *A status. No MP card with bumped status will be provided (limiting ability to use for *A lounge access per UA e-mail). NOTE: there are a few reports of peoples digital cards reflecting the gifted bump in status. 2nd NOTE: There are also reports that the bumpees are getting the *A status associated with their bump in status.

No reports of equivalent bumps to GS.

Some were notified by email -- others noticed their bumps by viewing their online account.

The quantity, demographics or reason for this target promo have not be announced by UA. UA has acknowledged the program on some social media outlets (Twitter Link 1, Twitter Link 2, ...) More details can be found on this UA offer page TB3330. UA has suggested posting feedback at https://unitedairtime.com .
Print Wikipost

UA doing some targetted MP up-status changes [May, 10, 2016]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2016, 3:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Boraxo
but would be nice to board in group 1 and be able to cancel awards without penalty.
Higher status is always better . Just curious, in your experience, does boarding group 1 vs 2 really matter? On some elite-heavy flights I can see a difference, otherwise it seems to be all appearances. I usually don't make boarding group 1 and board with 2, never noticed much difference.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by johnden
Higher status is always better . Just curious, in your experience, does boarding group 1 vs 2 really matter? On some elite-heavy flights I can see a difference, otherwise it seems to be all appearances. I usually don't make boarding group 1 and board with 2, never noticed much difference.
DEN - SFO and back, boarding group 1 makes a huge difference over 2.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by johnden
Just curious, in your experience, does boarding group 1 vs 2 really matter? On some elite-heavy flights I can see a difference, otherwise it seems to be all appearances. I usually don't make boarding group 1 and board with 2, never noticed much difference.
It's HUGE @ SFO. Group 1 is often half the flight (no joke) if you count GS. Group 2 is usually smaller but still sizable. Groups 3-4-5 are negligible. Similar @IAH and @IAD.

For me the whole point of boarding early is to secure overhead space for my 21" B&R. Normally I find space directly above or across from my seat (particularly in E+) but not always.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 6:36 pm

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
FWIW - I told a colleague of mine "check your status to see if you've been upped to 1K." He had. He'd previously "given up" on United, but just booked a TPAC that was going to go to AA. So in my anecdotal world, the targeted upgrades seem to have served their purpose.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 7:30 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
It's HUGE @ SFO. Group 1 is often half the flight (no joke) if you count GS. Group 2 is usually smaller but still sizable. Groups 3-4-5 are negligible. Similar @IAH and @IAD.

For me the whole point of boarding early is to secure overhead space for my 21" B&R. Normally I find space directly above or across from my seat (particularly in E+) but not always.
Hopefully with the new Polaris product, they will split off the paid premium customers into their own line. If they are creating a whole new lounge for the Polaris product, I think it would be a total shame to not offer earlier boarding.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Shot down as expected, though at least the response was polite:

Dear Boraxo:

We’re always glad to hear from Premier Gold members like you. Thanks for writing.

We appreciate your feedback on our MileagePlus® Premier Match promotion. We greatly value customers like you who have earned their Premier status by meeting annual thresholds, and assure you that most of our members have earned their status the same way.

The Premier promotion is an important marketing tool for us. Our research shows that many frequent flyers would switch to United if given a higher status. We offer conditional Premier status to encourage these customers to make United their first choice.

We are unable to upgrade your account to Premier Platinum as requested.

I have to admit this one stings more than most. I totally understand and support the concept of "status match" and "challenges." But to randomly upgrade some select percentage of members (presumably the least loyal ones) and ignore other more loyal ones is not good business sense.

All the more reason for me to fly SQ and LH as soon as I hit 1MM lifetime Gold.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 4:23 pm

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
At least the ranks in 2017 will be decreased when many of these 'gifted' members get returned to their earned status level.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade
At least the ranks in 2017 will be decreased when many of these 'gifted' members get returned to their earned status level.
Until they do the exact same give away again mid 2017. UA appears desperate and I would not put it past them.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade
Yeah, sure. Much like the ranks of true 1K members were going to be smaller this year for those that actually met the increased spend requirement...until United just gave status away like candy.

United has no respect nor loyalty for their frequent fliers. They just don't care.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 6:32 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Yeah, sure. Much like the ranks of true 1K members were going to be smaller this year for those that actually met the increased spend requirement...until United just gave status away like candy.

United has no respect nor loyalty for their frequent fliers. They just don't care.
I'd be ok with that, as we'd all know where we stood. Unfortunately, I don't think that's the case. I think UA is tone deaf. They don't particularly understand the ramifications of a marketing action. This initiative probably sounded phenomenal in meetings. My concern is that nobody at a senior level stood up and said "Wait a minute...our best customers are going to be extremely upset with us devaluing their hard earned status". That, or nobody above those individuals thought it was a valid enough concern to alter the promotion.

I think UA has respect for all of us that earned the higher status, and I do believe they care. What they also do, however, is take us for granted. Holding a near monopoly in their hubs allows them to do that. Will it deter some of us from pushing all of our $ to UA? Sure. I've done it on a small scale, primarily out of spite when the $ and the schedule were almost identical on a few of my future flights. But I don't really have a choice in the future.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 7:01 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21

PQD's were never going to significantly reduce the elite ranks, IMO. We're noticing a difference in boarding lines because that didn't happen and then statuses were gifted, as you point out.

I assume this stunt won't result in any measurable customer increase next year, so UA will move on to the next thing that takes it's loyal customers for granted.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 8:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JBord
PQD's were never going to significantly reduce the elite ranks, IMO.
But that was repeatedly touted in this forum as the positive side effect of PQD. Of course it was false (as many of us predicted).
Old Jun 6, 2016, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I think the PQD did have some effect on elite ranks. In fact, I think that is one of the reasons for this stupid promotion. Instead of competing with less folks for the benefits, United back-peddled and swelled the ranks again.

I saw some crazy boarding group 1/2 lines at ORD this weekend. Reports of overcrowding at United Clubs have been more frequent. Good E+ seats are now harder to find.

So the reward for sticking with United and meeting the increased PQDs is a far crappier experience....oh, and lets not forget the insulting offers for extra RDMs compared to those that stopped giving United money.

Up until last month, I was pretty jazzed on my future with United. Things were looking up.

Stupid me.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 4:59 am

Programs: UA General member
Originally Posted by jtkohl
My two daughters got cards in the mail from UAL, announcing they'd been awarded a free Economy Plus subscription. Activating it on-line it says it runs through January 31, 2017. There's also an acceleration schedule for bonus MP earning based on spend for the base fare of UA flights.

My daughters haven't flown UA in maybe 1.5 years or more--just one partner flight a year ago. Alas, they're not likely to be using this perk, no trips planned that need flights.

I however would love to have this, but I guess since I actually flew on UA and LH for 2 round trips in the past year, I don't get the offer.

Looks like a targeted promotion. goes to www.united.com/your-exclusive-offer
This seems to be the same up-status change to give just e+ access reported earlier via e-mail, such as
Originally Posted by imax87
Just received an email saying I have been awarded complimentary Economy Plus subscription. Has anyone else gotten this offer?

{edit}thanks for moving this, guess I'm not the special snowflake I hoped I was.
...now arriving by post card!
Old Jun 27, 2016, 9:18 am

Any idea why I got free E+ on purchase (no status)?

Booked a one-way K fare and was able to choose E+ seats for free on both legs even though I have no status. Any idea why? Again, this was upon purchase and not during OLCI, and the fare is is significantly lower than anything else I've seen.

Was also offered $299 upgrade to GF (772, IAD-SFO) right after purchase — slightly regretting turning it down

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.