Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA doing some targetted MP up-status changes [May, 10, 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 12, 2016, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Surface Interval
May 2016 -- UA ran a targeted (unknown numbers) program to provide status bumps for some.

This included
- Some GM receiving a free E+ subscription,* some given Silver or Gold
- Some Silvers were bumped to Premier Gold status
- Some Golds were bumped to Premier Platinum status (no RPUs)
- Some Plats were bumped to Premier 1K status (no RPUs, no GPUs)

(* If given an E+ subscription, it will not appear under the "Subscriptions" section in one's MP account, but a message appears during the booking process that confirms E+ seats are available to such people. The E+ subscription is good only for U.S. flights, and maybe only for continental U.S. flights.)

Status bumps appear to generally be 1 level but there have been some reportedly 2 levels bumps (too small in number to have a high confidence level).
These status bumps are effective until end of January 2017.

The status bumps are only effective on UA/UX flights and does not include a bump in *A status. No MP card with bumped status will be provided (limiting ability to use for *A lounge access per UA e-mail). NOTE: there are a few reports of peoples digital cards reflecting the gifted bump in status. 2nd NOTE: There are also reports that the bumpees are getting the *A status associated with their bump in status.

No reports of equivalent bumps to GS.

Some were notified by email -- others noticed their bumps by viewing their online account.

The quantity, demographics or reason for this target promo have not be announced by UA. UA has acknowledged the program on some social media outlets (Twitter Link 1, Twitter Link 2, ...) More details can be found on this UA offer page TB3330. UA has suggested posting feedback at https://unitedairtime.com .
Print Wikipost

UA doing some targetted MP up-status changes [May, 10, 2016]

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2016, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott T, HH D, IHG SA.
The email said:
"We'd love for you to experience all the great things we are changing here at United®, on the ground and in the air. That's why we're welcoming you to Premier® Platinum status, valid until January 31, 2017.

Go ahead and try out your new status level. You'll find your new Premier benefits are designed to give you more comfort and convenience, along with additional bonus award miles and priority services.

And try out our latest improvements: a cutting-edge fleet, chef-designed meals, satellite-fed Wi-Fi, more on-time flights and many more changes. Fly United again and you'll see the difference."
Old May 10, 2016, 3:46 pm

I got bumped from nothing to Silver; my wife didn't. She and I flew PIT-LHR together last year, and I also flew once for work. Nothing for either of us this year so far.

I haven't been anything on United in, well, ever -- used to be a Silver on USAirways for a number of years.

Only thing I can think of that MIGHT have gotten me a slot in the random upgrade lottery is my employer.

Weird, but I'll take it. The "free E+" seating is nice when I'm flying alone, but if I'm with my wife we're usually placed in E+ seating for free anyway (she's in a wheelchair). I don't expect to ever get lucky enough for a "Complimentary Premier Upgrade".

Still, this little promo does make me more likely to pick United for any trips we take this year, so I guess it's having the intended result.
Old May 10, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
1K for the last several years and of course no love. While I'm happy for those who got the free elite boost, it certainly dilutes the value of each tier since we'll be competing with even more folks for E+ seats and the precious few first upgrades.

Miles not posting, delayed flights, horrid IT, and now this. A big
Old May 10, 2016, 3:48 pm

This auto-upgrade really only helps the lower tiers. Without receiving RPU and GPUs, there is little advantage for the higher level upgrades. For me, going from Plat -> 1K, the most substantial new benefit is being able to use the 1K 1Call phone line. Can anyone comment on whether this dedicated line is much better than the standard? On the other hand, now I will be competing with a whole slew of newly upgraded gold's who will eat up more E+ seating.

With everyone being bumped up equally, there should be no change in the hierarchy of CPUs.

EDIT: Just found out 1K's get complimentary drink and food item on North American flights. Pretty solid, my 5 drink tickets (from plat) flew by way too quickly so this certainly counts as a good benefit (~$10/flight).

Last edited by Tikka2; May 10, 2016 at 4:16 pm
Old May 10, 2016, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Otis432
After further review, the United site congratulates me on my special gift, 1K status through January 2017. I have yet to see the GPU's post however. It would be nice if they do, otherwise it is just accelerated earning for the rest of the year, and a shiny new bag tag!
Not really. You'll also be in line for CPUs competing with those of us who have and continue to fulfill all qualifying criteria. A move I don't find particularly equitable.

Originally Posted by blahmeh14
If this is not a mistake (and it's looking like it's not), and depending on how widespread this is, this could be considered Munoz's first BIG move as CEO with regards to loyalty/retention.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the pressure they've been under from the activist investors to boost loyalty/revenue...
Big move yes, but is it the right kind of move? Awarding status and increasing competition for those who earn it? If none of them leave, then yes...success. If even a relatively small number of 1ks walk then the whole move probably will be negative sum total.

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
1K for the last several years and of course no love. While I'm happy for those who got the free elite boost, it certainly dilutes the value of each tier since we'll be competing with even more folks for E+ seats and the precious few first upgrades.

Miles not posting, delayed flights, horrid IT, and now this. A big
Same here. Sitting on a 25-30% CPU rate this year, earning less RDMs (despite flying mostly F/A/P fares) than I have ever earned. Not really looking forward to competing with gifted 1ks for the already tiny pool of available CPUs.
Old May 10, 2016, 3:54 pm

Nothing for me. I have the credit card and I have a flight booked in 2 weeks. I also flew 3 weeks ago round trip.

Old May 10, 2016, 3:55 pm

Also upgraded to Plat from Gold. It's not clear to me the benefit except for RPUs. Hooray for dilution, I guess?
Old May 10, 2016, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, Marriott Titanium & LT Platinum, Avis PC, Hertz PC
I am a MM and just received an email that I will be a Plat until the end of Jan 2017.
Old May 10, 2016, 3:57 pm

I'm a 1MM with relatively little flying in the last two years (<50K PQMs per year). Upgraded from gold to platinum. Companion has not (yet) been upgraded to match.
Old May 10, 2016, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tikka2
With everyone being bumped up equally, there should be no change in the hierarchy of CPUs.
Not everyone is being bumped up equally. And all the new 1K's will have an impact on existing 1K's.
Old May 10, 2016, 3:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Still 1K. Mystatus website reminded me that I should keep flying to reach 1K status.

Interesting. Does this mean that people bumped from Silver to Gold don't get *G?
Possibly because they are not sending out new cards, and certain lounge dragons require a physical card for lounge access?
Old May 10, 2016, 3:59 pm

Someone who got bumped up to UA Gold should try to go through the RewardsPlus portal to get Marriott Gold and then report back. Would be interesting to see if it goes through...
Thanks for this - I got bumped from Silver to Gold and went in and applied for a Marriott Gold. It says "We are verifying your request" so hopefully this goest through!

I'll keep you all posted.

Denise
Old May 10, 2016, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by pkerr
So how DOES this work? I have now been give the E+ subsription but how do I use it? I made a test reservation and it charged me for the E+ seat.

I'm thinking this is a glitch. A $499 "GIFT" from UA for someone who RARELY flies with them? not to mention there doesn't seem to be anyway to activate the subscription.
I'm curious about this too. I just made a test booking and it shows the eco plus as an added on fee and under "My Subscriptions" it shows nothing.
Old May 10, 2016, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
Not everyone is being bumped up equally. And all the new 1K's will have an impact on existing 1K's.
The roll-out is still ongoing. It's very tough to implement a change this large for all users simultaneously. I would be VERY surprised if they don't upgrade everyone (or at least build in their CPU algorithm to place *true* 1K's above the *upgraded* 1K's) . That would be a big slap to the face, and exactly how you lose high $$$ customers.
Old May 10, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Tikka2
I would be VERY surprised if they don't upgrade everyone...
This tweet from UA says it is only for select members: https://twitter.com/united/status/730145391266529280

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.