FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   1K check in areas going to kiosks? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1764405-1k-check-areas-going-kiosks.html)

GBadger May 7, 2016 4:22 pm

1K check in areas going to kiosks?

Just travelled DEN-IAD last week. At DEN, there is still a separate check in line for 1Ks, but it looked as though they were replacing the computer desks with kiosks. When checking in for the return at IAD, there was a roped off area for GS/Global First, and the rest was all kiosks. Is the 1K check in area going the way of the dodo?

blueman2 May 7, 2016 4:40 pm

Flew DFW to SFO recently. No F, no 1K lines that I could find. All Kiosks.

Kacee May 7, 2016 4:46 pm

At SFO, they thankfully tanked the experiment with kiosks in the Premier check-in area, and went back to the traditional counter. Apparently this was based on negative passenger feedback. So it would be a little odd for them to now go and implement that at DEN. But anything is possible.

EricH May 7, 2016 4:54 pm

What I'd like to see is separate lines for people who wish to use a kiosk and those waiting for a desk agent. They could have one or maybe two agents servicing the kiosk users (tagging bags, checking passports, etc.) and the other agents would do the full service thing for those who want (or need) it.

NikoLGA May 7, 2016 6:18 pm

How about EWR, ORD, IAH and while we are on it every every domestic airport United serves? They are OBSESSED WITH KIOSKS.

I'm a guy that does one of two things:

1) Mobile Check-in when I'm not flying on a special flight or checking bags.
2) Full Service Check-in when I'm checking a bag or want a cardstock boarding pass.

The problem is that un-like all the airlines in the world, (besides maybe Southwest, as I do see it there as well) they put the kiosks in front of the check in desk, not off to the side. This makes passengers confused, and allows them to understaff.

Remember when UA's computers malfunctioned? I saw a picture of LGA airport, where all the kiosks were broken, and the one or two agents had a line of 75+ passengers.

Of course, if you call an agent over and insist that you want to go through traditional check in methods, they won't say no, but it will be weird to ask...

azzurro May 7, 2016 7:55 pm

LAX is also kiosk for 1K right next to GS/Global First. There is Premier counter, but no separation of 1K from other elites.

Often1 May 7, 2016 8:15 pm

The question is whether in this day and age there really is a need for a separate 1K counter as opposed to a bank of Premier kiosks and a Premier counter for them what need it.

I would also move bag drop to contractors such as Airserv so that trained agents can handle ticketing problems only.

cur May 8, 2016 2:15 am

premier checkin at iah is same setup as regular checkin, kiosks in front of checkin

but more staff and less lineups

i don't care

it works

JBord May 8, 2016 4:44 am

Originally Posted by azzurro (Post 26591639)
LAX is also kiosk for 1K right next to GS/Global First. There is Premier counter, but no separation of 1K from other elites.

And this is all they need. The premier lines are rarely a wait in my experience. I wasn't aware there was a separate 1k line when I was 1k. I just walked straight through the premier line and bypassed everyone waiting to check bags in the regular line.

bmwe92fan May 8, 2016 6:22 am

The major issue I have with kiosks is that there are so many passengers that rarely fly that stand there at front of line waiting for agent with 8 check in terminals free - even in premier lines! And it's not like the staff - especially at outstations - are telling passengers to use the kiosks and show them how.... All in all IMO check in keeps getting worse....

superEGO May 8, 2016 6:34 am

I also traveled through DEN the other day. Here's how how I interpreted what I observed:

The far GS/GF line now opens to a section of 3 desks with computer displays facing agents. No kiosks for those (3?) stations at all. Checking in at them would require facetime with an agent.

The 1K/etc. Line immediately next to it has new kiosks in the same place the old kiosks were, however the "desk" type area around the kiosks is greatly reduced and feels much more open. They have another section that looks to be getting remodeled in the next premier tier down.

To me, it looks pretty nice. The one thing I did notice is that all the UA agents were helping people on the pax side of the lines and AirServ was running bag-tag and movement.

channa May 8, 2016 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 26591101)
At SFO, they thankfully tanked the experiment with kiosks in the Premier check-in area, and went back to the traditional counter. Apparently this was based on negative passenger feedback. So it would be a little odd for them to now go and implement that at DEN. But anything is possible.

I think the self-tagging of bags created much of the negative feedback.

They had such a bizarre setup too, and you weren't able to get a priority tag unless you found someone, I would end up schlepping my stuff to the counter, now with more things to carry (printed but not attached bag tags).

EricH May 8, 2016 8:26 am

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan (Post 26593508)
The major issue I have with kiosks is that there are so many passengers that rarely fly that stand there at front of line waiting for agent with 8 check in terminals free - even in premier lines!

This is what drives me nuts and why I'd like to see separate lines.

Fly1960 May 8, 2016 8:40 am

Originally Posted by GBadger (Post 26591041)
Just travelled DEN-IAD last week. At DEN, there is still a separate check in line for 1Ks, but it looked as though they were replacing the computer desks with kiosks. When checking in for the return at IAD, there was a roped off area for GS/Global First, and the rest was all kiosks. Is the 1K check in area going the way of the dodo?

UA moved Premier Access check in at IAD around the corner and behind GS/Global First checkin. Head past the GS checkin towards the main security line then turn left at the end of the wall.

Kacee May 8, 2016 9:22 am

Originally Posted by channa (Post 26593804)
I think the self-tagging of bags created much of the negative feedback.

Yes, it did. Particularly when they started enforcing a "you can't see an agent until you've gone to the kiosk" rule. And the lines were totally disorganized. It was a complete mess.

I will note btw (in response to other comments) that DL long ago went heavy on the kiosks. I remember being pushed to use one at ATL at least ten years ago. Their lobby at LAX is now a sea of kiosks.