Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why do so few domestic United Clubs have showers???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2016, 6:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat

No showers at major hubs like SFO, LAX, IAD, DEN.

Holdover showers at IAH/EWR from CO that from what I remember, get closed early. Plus the ORD shower suite that happened to be a holdover from the old arrivals suite.

Both AA and DL offer showers at their hubs (except the LUS locations) and AA even has them at a few outstations too. So why does UA spend so much on lounge renovations and not bother adding in the most useful amenity, showers?

Right now, I'm lucky that when I fly UA to ORD/LAX/BOS, I can at least utilize the AA clubs via my AA lounge membership, even though it usually is a hike from the UA gates to the AA gates. And I suppose if I fly UA out of DFW, I can at least use the AA lounges too.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 7:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
that from what I remember, get closed early.
Not IME. They may not be staffed with an attendant but you can ask at the main desk to get access.

As for why, redoing plumbing in an existing terminal is way more expensive than new construction. For DEN not much in the way of intercontinental flights - the NRT route is new - to justify such. The others probably could support it but UA didn't want to invest the money, either then or now.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by sbm12
Not IME. They may not be staffed with an attendant but you can ask at the main desk to get access.

As for why, redoing plumbing in an existing terminal is way more expensive than new construction. For DEN not much in the way of intercontinental flights - the NRT route is new - to justify such. The others probably could support it but UA didn't want to invest the money, either then or now.
Project Quality killed the showers of the renovated UCs at LAX and SFO, I guess.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I think most would prefer adding showers, then the "enhanced" food. Boston was a new construction UA Club and they decided against showers. AA has a couple showers at SFO for example.

UA did such a great job in LHR, they just haven't expanded that when they have remodeled or added new lounges.

I am so much more satisfied with the services and features I get from the AA Clubs (than the UA Clubs). Lots of showers at LAX, DFW, ORD, JFK, MIA, LHR and then at SFO - ones that come to mind.

CO did a good job of putting in showers at IAH and EWR when they added new lounges. But they never had them at LAX. Back when CO was in SkyTeam - I would go through the tunnel to DL and use their showers when having arrived internationally and then flying CO.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 9:44 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by cova
I think most would prefer adding showers, then the "enhanced" food.
I think the opposite. I for one am not sure why people (think they) sweat so much sitting idly on an airplane that they feel the need to shower multiple times per day. I prefer the extra room in the seating area.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I think the opposite. I for one am not sure why people (think they) sweat so much sitting idly on an airplane that they feel the need to shower multiple times per day. I prefer the extra room in the seating area.
It is about making yourself more refreshing.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 1:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by garykung
Totally agree. Nothing like a hot/cold shower after an 11 hour flight. Was surprised to discover United’s Heathrow lounge has great shower facilities. That was a huge plus after a long flight from Johannesburg en route to SFO>KOA. Was equally surprised to learn SFO did not have shower facilities.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 1:40 am

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by garykung
If your are refreshing then when I experience you I am refreshed.

The showers I have took were just to kill time. The times I've needed or would have really liked to have taken a shower I haven't had the time. I prefer connections where I don't have times for a shower.

I've appreciated the better snacks more than I have ever missed not having a shower.

If I were arriving at my final destination during business hours after a 12 hour flight I might use the showers more often and appreciate them more.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 2:49 am

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Agree on the need for more showers in UC. Just took one in ZHR Senator lounge and feel like a million bucks.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 3:04 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
No showers at major hubs like SFO, LAX, IAD, DEN.

Holdover showers at IAH/EWR from CO that from what I remember, get closed early. Plus the ORD shower suite that happened to be a holdover from the old arrivals suite.

Both AA and DL offer showers at their hubs (except the LUS locations) and AA even has them at a few outstations too. So why does UA spend so much on lounge renovations and not bother adding in the most useful amenity, showers?

Right now, I'm lucky that when I fly UA to ORD/LAX/BOS, I can at least utilize the AA clubs via my AA lounge membership, even though it usually is a hike from the UA gates to the AA gates. And I suppose if I fly UA out of DFW, I can at least use the AA lounges too.
CO was actually ahead of the curve in adding showers at IAH and EWR. At the time UA had them, but only for International FC arrivals (as SFO and ORD) and the concept really never worked well IMHO.

What happened is that DL and pmAA started to roll them out, as did international carriers, at a time when Jeff was concentrating on cutting all costs possible, and investing a $500k-$2M plus staffing costs for showers was not part of the "savvy" plan.

I consider it to be a huge competitive disadvantage at this point for high value travelers who know enough to know who knows what. I will often work all day than get on a late flight out, often a 5-5 hour flight, and being able to take a shower before getting on the plane, or even more important after getting off the plane, and it is a big deal for me. It impacts my buying decisions.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 3:54 am

Programs: United Mileageplus Primier 1K
So why does UA spend so much on lounge renovations and not bother adding in the most useful amenity, showers?

IMO I think the answer is in your question. Now I will first state 2 disclaimers first

1. I have never used the AA or other US carrier lounge as I fly UA 95% of times domestically so cannot compare their product to UA's

2. I am not a UA hater but actually like the service I have always gotten when flying or via 1K customer service line. I usually always get upgraded so have had a great customer service experience with UA so far (knock on wood)

With the above said, I think the reason UA does not have many showers in their club is because it is a club and this is not to be confused with a lounge. IMO, the *A/TK lounge in IST is a lounge, UA lounge in LHR is a lounge, LH Senator lounge in JFK is a lounge but the area of leather seats, having to pay for drinks and where food is nearly non-existent is merely as UA classifies it, a club. I do give them credit for not calling such a sub-par product a lounge. I cant believe people pay a membership to it

Yes as you can tell I absolutely detest UA clubs and have walked out of a few and went to the food court instead lol. I would never bet money that one of the clubs have a shower as it wouldn't suit what is offered at the club.

This is in addition to all the other valid points posted such as plumbing etc
Old Apr 26, 2016, 5:18 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
I've recently had a similar discussion at a different forum that I follow. I think the shower thing is cultural. Americans generally wait to get home / hotel to take a shower but taking a shower at a train station, highway rest area, and airport seems to be much more common thing outside of the USA. This probably explains(nothing scientific, just an observation) why showers are common at international locations while domestic ones decide not to add them. The only time I took a shower at an airport lounge was at Changi and it was ONLY because Singapore is such a hot and humid country and after a full day exploring the city and sweating up a storm, I wanted to feel refreshed before getting on the flight.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 6:24 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
I rarely need to shower before a flight, but after a red-eye--like Thursday's 15-hour HKG-ORD jaunt--it makes all the difference and then some. It's silly not to have showers at SFO and LAX when most or all of their international flights exceed 10 hours. IAD could use some too, although I fear that an investment in them there would signal that we'll be stuck with C/D for another decade.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by DCA writer
IAD could use some too, although I fear that an investment in them there would signal that we'll be stuck with C/D for another decade.
When UA builds a new C/D concourse AND installs showers in the new UCs there, I will actually believe the ghost of Smisek is gone, and UA is an airline that appreciates its customers.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by 2stepbay
Totally agree. Nothing like a hot/cold shower after an 11 hour flight. Was surprised to discover United’s Heathrow lounge has great shower facilities. That was a huge plus after a long flight from Johannesburg en route to SFO>KOA. Was equally surprised to learn SFO did not have shower facilities.
They do, you just need to be in Global First to get into the Global First Lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.