Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1Ks given ride to other terminal at IAD?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2016, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
1Ks given ride to other terminal at IAD?

So, I've seen the folks holding the iPads for the GS members all the time - the ones with a couple of names on them and "Global Services" above them for a pickup to transport to another terminal.

This morning at IAD, I saw the same thing, but it said "1K" and the name of two folks on my flight. One was sitting next to me and he was 1K, and I'm pretty sure he told me his connection was domestic.

I know United used to do this for 1K in the past, but now isn't this kind of service only relegated to Global Services?

I must be missing something - under what circumstances would United offer to transport 1Ks on a domestic itin direct to another concourse?
Old Apr 20, 2016, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA GS & Million Miler, AA Lifetime Gold (MM)
Perhaps a VERY tight connection, and a slow day for the GS reps?
Old Apr 20, 2016, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
I've had this happen twice at Dulles as a 1K on a domestic connection - one time I declined because I didn't want to waste an hour at the A gates (United Express) when I could grab some food and beverage at the United Club.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 6:47 pm

Happened to me last year at EWR as a 1K. Came down the stairs in Terminal A to get the bus and there was a guy there who asked me if I was 1K or GS, told him yes, and we got in the BMW to Terminal C. Went up a utility staircase and he swiped in the door and dumped me right on the concourse. He must have been waiting for someone else who didn't show?
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA 1k; 1MM, HH Diamond; Hertz PC, Costco member
I've had it once (sort of). I was on a delayed set of flights (wx in ORD) and had a very tight connection in IAD. The agent said she would try to arrange a GS car but couldn't guarantee it. He was there but I missed him and ran to the next flight (barely made it). The GS agent actually came on the next flight to make sure I had made it. Disappointed I missed my opportunity to be driven around IAD - but appreciated the effort.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 4:59 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
Had a fairly tight connection from one end of the D gates to the opposite end of the C gates today. No dice on a ride as a GS. Pre- 7am and the walk felt good anyway.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 6:21 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Goaliedad30
Perhaps a VERY tight connection, and a slow day for the GS reps?
I'd guess a slow day. I had over 90 mins connection at EWR the other day and was shocked to find someone there to give me a ride. I always walked by, as I wasn't looking or expecting it. It was a quiet Saturday morning.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 7:58 am

Got a ride at IAH a few weeks ago
Old Apr 21, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Would be nice if UA somehow gave 1Ks the heads up (text message) so 1k doesn't dash off plane for next connection with blinders on.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
got a ride at IAH a few weeks ago. Was barely necessary, but the GS Agent and driver couldn't have been nicer.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by KosherKimchee
Would be nice if UA somehow gave 1Ks the heads up (text message) so 1k doesn't dash off plane for next connection with blinders on.
Absolutely... My fiancée and I had a uber tight (Domestic F->INTL BF, Gate 69->98) connection in SFO in March -- made tighter with a maintenance delay on the inbound followed by a broken jetway at our original gate. (I think officially we were down to 15 minutes by the time we parked at our second gate).

I saw an agent with a car trying to get into the jetway from a ramp and I was kind of hoping it was for us (since I didn't notice any GS boarding), but she couldn't get the jetway access door open and I couldn't waste the little time we had hoping for it, so we literally sprinted as soon as the aircraft door was open.

Funniest part of that was the agent at the gate podium yelled at us "Ninety Eight!" as we ran by "Thanks!" "Oh....Sydney, right?!?" "Yep!"

My fiancée and I made it to the connection and I spent the next 20 minutes catching my breath and chugging water onboard.

Would have been nice to catch a ride in style instead
Old Apr 21, 2016, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Does IAD still have moon buggies? A private GS buggy ride would be cool.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Does IAD still have moon buggies? A private GS buggy ride would be cool.
Oh man would this be amazing. I hate those dumb moon buggies, especially when arriving on an international flight. No sense in being the first one off the plane when you have to wait for the entire plane to unload to get to customs...
Old Apr 21, 2016, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by FlyHighInTheSky
Oh man would this be amazing. I hate those dumb moon buggies, especially when arriving on an international flight. No sense in being the first one off the plane when you have to wait for the entire plane to unload to get to customs...
Remind me, which end of the CUSTOMS moon buggy should you go to, in order to be first off the moon buggy upon arriving at customs? In other words, stay near the entrance when you get on, or move to the other end of the moon buggy as that will be the exit?
Old Apr 21, 2016, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Remind me, which end of the CUSTOMS moon buggy should you go to, in order to be first off the moon buggy upon arriving at customs? In other words, stay near the entrance when you get on, or move to the other end of the moon buggy as that will be the exit?
It can vary from driver to driver - but one thing is always the same - the end the driver is on is the end that will go in first after your ride - so stay near the driver side - whichever that is...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.